Bella's OS-tan Artwork Thread

Started by Bella, March 18, 2007, 02:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

QuoteNow I know I can expect wonderful things with Pu-chan from you. ^.^
Trust me, you will see a Puma-chan (Just have to figure out what setting she should be in!)

Ubuntu-tan...This one's been kicking around for a while, but just colored this evening:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/ub.jpg

Ubuntu-tan has a very good attitude, and is very popular among friends. She believes in peace and goodwill toward others, even opposing OS-tans like the Windows family or Mac girls. While she is saddened by OS fighting, she still enjoys a little friendly competition between herself and rivals. She's not as skilled as Arch Linux-tan or Gentoo-chan, but she's easier to get along with. She has a sister, Kubuntu, who also shares her outlook.

C-Chan

QuoteTrust me, you will see a Puma-chan (Just have to figure out what setting she should be in!)

*cheers*

WAAAAHOOOOOOOOO!!! PU-CHAN IS A-COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!  ^V^

*poses*

Pu- Pu- PUMA-CHAN BEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ^v^\

*shoots laser out of eye*

Okay, I just had to get that out of my system.  ^__^
Settings for Pu-chan are easy.  ^.^

Though timid, she's also quite industrious and never likes to spend an idle moment.  She could don a maid outfit and do housekeeping.

Or put on safety gear, hood and a covering for her tail, and pick some fresh honey.

Or she could wear something a little more rustic and pick vegetables from an herb garden.

Or, capitalizing on the fact that she looks like a student, suppose she rode a bike wildly to avoid tardiness, with a slice of toast still dangling from her mouth (or fish,... she is a catgirl after all).

Or she could be exploring the corridors of a large public library, hugging a pair of her favorite books close to her chest.

Or perhaps she could be walking out of a small mom-and-pop store with a paper bag full of ingredients for tonight's dinner, and maybe stop by a seafood restaurant to curiously watch an aquarium full of fish at the window.  

Or if you want to add more of a fantasy element, suppose you had a scene pairing her with some cute iPod-tans, who probably like Puma-chan very much.  She might be at a table, stooped over a shoebox decorated lavishly and swowing/gluing together miniature furniture, while an iPod Mini or Nano look on with wonder and curiosity.

I tell you, the Pu-chan lends herself to lots of ideas.  ^___^

QuoteUbuntu-tan has a very good attitude, and is very popular among friends. She believes in peace and goodwill toward others, even opposing OS-tans like the Windows family or Mac girls. While she is saddened by OS fighting, she still enjoys a little friendly competition between herself and rivals. She's not as skilled as Arch Linux-tan or Gentoo-chan, but she's easier to get along with. She has a sister, Kubuntu, who also shares her outlook.

S-u-g-o-i!!  ^v^
Your strong fashion sense and special attention to hair really makes ubuntu-tan look like the friendly, popular and beautiful OS that she is.  ^___^

While there's always a place for spears and armor, a lot of what revolves around the modern distros is approachability, accessibility and (in the case of Ubuntu, Edubuntu, etc.) "humaneness".  And when you see a distros-tan dressed more down to earth (with a touch of contemporary evening wear, in Ubuntu's case), it's a tacit invitation to approach them without fear and with the possibility of gaining a new friend.  ^^

A Kubuntu-tan would interest me, since that's the OS I use right now.  ^.^

I imagine her a little like Ubuntu, but taller, with longer hair (with blue highlights perhaps?) and perhaps more mature features (albeit coupled with a lot of more accessories)..... ^^;

I also wanted to make a Xubuntu-tan at one point, owing that I used her for several months prior to switching to another OS on that particular machine.  She would have to be a child-type, youthful, energetic and spirited in her pursuit of her Onee-san's philosophy.  Naturally, she would be accompanied by her pet hamster.  ^^

Bella

I'm thinking of doing a Kubuntu-tan and a Xubuntu-tan....I tried to make Ubuntu-tan seem friendly and warm because Ubuntu is a very user-friendly distro compared to Arch Linux or that sort...

Here's a outline of Pu-chan (Told ya you'd see her soon!) Tell me if you think her face is odd...just want to know before I invest too much time.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/pu.jpg

C-Chan

Hmmmmm,.... *studies*

Hard to say without color, but the face itself doesn't strike me as too odd.  A little bit low, but then she does have her head tilted downward.  The only thing I could recommend is to add a little more hair and reposition the ears closer to the sides rather than directly on top (and I guess we can make them a little larger still).  ^^

Bella

Oh C-Chan....

Puma-chan:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/51964804/

Right now I'm researching special use Linux distros...here are some ideas I've come up with:

64 Studio, a distro for music producing/mixing: I'm thinking either a singer, or perhaps a DJ or music editor.

FlightLinux, designed for embedded control computers in spacecraft (not open to the public...duh): An astronaut? Although since this doesn't run on business computers or PCs, I don't know if this would work...?

Edubuntu: a teacher? Or student?

Linux XP: A Homeko or Saseko doppleganger ;) Dresses and acts just like them, but still undeniably Linux-ish.

Added after 10 hours 29 minutes:

Linux XP-tan:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/lp.jpg

Linux XP-tan likes to dress up as Homeko, much to the dismay of many of her Linux relatives. However, Linspire-tan and Freespire-tan seem to get along fine with her. Her white-fronted jacket (similar to a penguin's white belly), Linux hair clip, and black-to-green hair suggests she's still proud of her heritage, even if it doesn't seem like it from first glance.

C-Chan

QuoteOh C-Chan....

Puma-chan:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/51964804/

WOW!!! From what heaven did she descend down from!  ^v^
Pu-chan is here, and you opted for the book approach after all!  /C-chan thinks he's in love....  *v*

I wonder if it'd work out, though,.... Puma's don't eat pigs, do they?  '__'

In any case, while I do like your unique approach to the anime style and your willingness to depict these girls in such calm and refreshing settings, for me at least I feel your greatest forte is with clothing.  ^^

You have a peerless fashion sense that's often both elegant and hip, and your spatial sense of creases and folds is right on the money.  Not sure if you have a background in the industry, but I swear you could be a fashion designer.  ^v^

Although that's just this pig's humble opinion..... -.-

Added after 12 minutes:

64 Studio -- Mmmmm..... DJ.  We have tons of cute characters, lots of emos, lolis up the wazoo, and certainly 3v1l ones.  But as far as I can recall, there aren't really many "hip" characters.  ^^

FlightLinux --  How 'bout a cosmonaut instead?  Fufufu.... ^.^
Well, it's not very realistic, but suppose she was an engineer or an actual "pilot" (emphasis on quotes) of a Zephyr:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3016082.stm

Doubt it has anything to do with FlightLinux, but it does fly in high orbit AND it is technologically advanced.  I think something like that could suit her well.  ^___^

Edubuntu -- always envisioned her as a teacher personally, although if you like you can compromise and make her a YOUNG teacher.  ^^

LinuxXP -- OMG!!!!!!!!!!!  @o@
Wow, you think she weren't a Windows fan....  ^^
She's lovely, but I can definitely see her being tormented by the more puritanical Windows-tan, since they defend their proprietary assets like rabid squirrels.  ^___^

In between you and me, though,......... LinuxXP is WAY cuter and sweeter-looking than Homeko.  ^__^
Certainly your keen fashion saved her from ending up in an oddly-colored gym suit.  ^.^

Aurora Borealis

Interesting enough I was about to consider making a Linux XP-tan too! She was going to be a hybrid between Linux-tan and Saseko and her main weapon would have been a giant fork! (because it stabs like Linux-tan's spear and associated with food, which Saseko is most fond of)

And the Puma-tan looks very nice! :D

Bella

64 Studio-tan:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/Project1.jpg

64 Studio-tan is a DJ who also likes to record and mix her own music. She's great at her job, and sometimes competes with Mac OS X-tans who say they're just as good at the musical arts. She's often employed by her fellow Linux-tans for use at parties. Her closest relative is Debian-tan.

Interesting enough I was about to consider making a Linux XP-tan too! She was going to be a hybrid between Linux-tan and Saseko and her main weapon would have been a giant fork! (because it stabs like Linux-tan's spear and associated with food, which Saseko is most fond of)

Cool idea, especially the giant fork! I'd love to see her!

QuoteYou have a peerless fashion sense that's often both elegant and hip, and your spatial sense of creases and folds is right on the money. Not sure if you have a background in the industry, but I swear you could be a fashion designer. ^v^

Thank you! But I do not have any formal training, just the education of drawing from a very young age :)

QuoteWow, you think she weren't a Windows fan.... ^^
She's lovely, but I can definitely see her being tormented by the more puritanical Windows-tan, since they defend their proprietary assets like rabid squirrels. ^___^

LOL!!!! Rabid squirrels XD. Surprisingly enough, M$ has never gone after Linux XP...give em' time, though...

QuoteIn between you and me, though,......... LinuxXP is WAY cuter and sweeter-looking than Homeko. ^__^

Awww...Homeko may be a perverted weirdo...but she's my OS's perverted weirdo...so I still like her XD. Linux XP is cute, though :)

Right now I'm thinking up some sort of Mac OS 7-tan/Win95-tan battle...

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: "Bella"
Right now I'm thinking up some sort of Mac OS 7-tan/Win95-tan battle...
Will you make System 7-tan win this time? :D

*notices 95 nearby* UH.... OH....

Tsubashi

Yeah! 95-tan always wins!
Then again, Win 95 did sorta conquer Sys 7 overall...
Foolish history!
Still System 7-tan did win some victories, and definitely was the better system!
*Gets sliced by 95-tan*
-Tsu

C-Chan

WOW!!!!!!!!  DID SOMEONE SAY 95 vs System 7?!!!!!!!!!!  @o@

I say LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!!!!!!!    ^V^

Yakuza gangster vs Samurai,... this one is for the ages!!!  ^.^

BTW, sorry I didn't check this out earlier,...  ^__^'
Up until now I assumed 64 Studio was some App-tan,... but today when I reviewed DistroWatch.com, I found 64 Studio on the list.  So I guess that officially makes her a multimedia-centric distros-tan -- in that case, yep, I'm glad you opted for the DJ!  ^.^

Her clothes, while not particuarly my cup of tea, suit her perfectly for the roll (certainly looks a lot like the DJ playing at the last rave I ventured into.... ^.^')
But what really makes this drawing shine (no pun intended) is the lighting -- the radiant glow and relfection off her hair in particular add a very cool beauty to the scene.  ^.^
(the colored spotlights, though, could've used a little blur + more transparency)

QuoteShe's great at her job, and sometimes competes with Mac OS X-tans who say they're just as good at the musical arts.

Aha,... now that's bound to cause friction.  ^.^'
But surely it's healthy competition though, since (thanks to the OSX girls) Macs are now part of the family of Unix-likes.  ^.^

QuoteThank you! But I do not have any formal training, just the education of drawing from a very young age

Excellent then, I always said that the best art comes from the tacit learner.  ^___^

QuoteLOL!!!! Rabid squirrels XD. Surprisingly enough, M$ has never gone after Linux XP...give em' time, though...

Yep,.. probably didn't go after Linux XP cause they were too busy trouncing on poor Lindows-tan.  `v'

QuoteAwww...Homeko may be a perverted weirdo...but she's my OS's perverted weirdo...so I still like her XD. Linux XP is cute, though

Linux XP is cuter period.  ^___^
I would like to see her cosplay Saseko and Moseko (aka, XP MCE) as well..  ^.^

Bella

Well, it's not quite a battle scene, per se...It started out as a rather even-sided, chivalrous conflict...but ended up more like after the battle...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/95.jpg

From the OS-tan annex:
Quote- Used to be very confident and powerful in her youth, but is now a depressed, near-emotionless shell of her former self.

From Aurora's thread:

QuoteShe almost got killed by 95-tan, but she spared her life so she'd have to live with that humiliating defeat.

I found these both wonderfully interesting pieces of backstory, one I knew I had to do a picture of. So here is the point that 95-tan reduced system 7-tan to a shadow of her former self...Considering the ruthless attitude of windows 95-tan toward Mac-tans, did system 7-tan even have a chance?

I find these two characters very interesting, mostly due to their unadulterated hate of each other, perhaps not matched in any other character in OS-tandom. I would certainly love to do a magna about these two but...yes, time, talent and patience hold me back ;)

Let me explain a bit about what is going on. As Aurora stated, 95-tan could have killed system 7-tan, but let her live just to humiliate her. This sounds exactly like something 95-tan would do to a mac girl. System 7-tan's broken katana and cuts shows that, although system 7-tan put up a fight, 95-tan still outfought her (which certainly was true of win95's release media blitz, and later juggernaut on the home computer market.)
95-tan seems to be enjoying herself, savoring the power she now possesses, whereas system 7-tan seems to be wondering, rightfully, whether or not she's going to make it out of this alive, wondering how she let the power her predecessors had not so long ago leave her...and if she does escape, how she can ever manage to live knowing a lousy windows-tan beat her...

And onto a lighter note...

QuoteHer clothes, while not particuarly my cup of tea, suit her perfectly for the roll

I tried to make her look a bit grungy ;) I think I did a good job, lol

QuoteBut what really makes this drawing shine (no pun intended) is the lighting -- the radiant glow and relfection off her hair in particular add a very cool beauty to the scene. ^.^
(the colored spotlights, though, could've used a little blur + more transparency)

I always love trying different lighting techniques and angles. I'll try making the lights a little more blurred and transparent.

C-Chan

QuoteWell, it's not quite a battle scene, per se...It started out as a rather even-sided, chivalrous conflict...but ended up more like after the battle...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/95.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!  ;^0^;
Curse you, Windows 95-tan, for not allowing history to be rewritten!!  ;^-^;

No, but seriously it's fantastic,... striking and dramatic poses for a very striking and dramatic scene.  ^___^
You can feel the choking despair in OS7-tan, as well as the glee of a younger and more belligerent 95-tan.  `v'

But I will say this,... what comes around goes around.  ^^
*continues reading Vista negative reviews gleefully*

QuoteI find these two characters very interesting, mostly due to their unadulterated hate of each other, perhaps not matched in any other character in OS-tandom. I would certainly love to do a magna about these two but...yes, time, talent and patience hold me back  

Well you've got the talent, and you SEEM like a reasonably patient person.  But time is against everyone, so I understand you there.  ^^

I guess this is my fault for not making OS/2's profile more public, but I would say that OS/2's hatred for ALL Windows (especially 95 and NT) is perhaps older and much more personal.  ^.^

http://ns24717.ovh.net/ostan-collections/viewtopic.php?p=12681&sid=5e5fd8f6fe209c7d1a5a477e52d8776f#12681

QuoteI tried to make her look a bit grungy  I think I did a good job, lol

It's a given you'll always do a good job with clothing.  ^__^
As for the grunginess,... I reckon I'm getting to old for this, but yeah I guess she's a one grungified lass.  ^.^

QuoteI always love trying different lighting techniques and angles. I'll try making the lights a little more blurred and transparent.

Normally I'd be okay with that stylistic spotlighting, but since the lighting on herself is blurry and realistic, the two different styles seem to clash. Unifying them both should enhance the realism and beauty of the picture.  ^__^

CaptBrenden

bwahahahaha that is quite the striking and dashing 95sama, crushing your dreams!  I seem to hear alot of bitterness around here about the facts tho...

QuoteNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! ;^0^;
Curse you, Windows 95-tan, for not allowing history to be rewritten!! ;^-^;

Saddam tried to rewrite the history books too...

we stopped that.  Tho he had been doing it for so long people had a hard time beliving the history books we brought in because they were so differnt.  Untill we brought the internet to Iraq and collage students were able to begin researching what the WORLD says happened and they relized how horribly they had been lied too

so in a nutshell, to cross paths with 95 sama is not only foolish but it makes you a terrorist T_T
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

C-Chan

Haven't you ever heard of the phrase "History is Written by the Victor?".

That sure makes for a helluva lot of terrorists you know, stretching back at least 5 millenia.  ^___^

But at least your in high spirits in any event.  -v-