Main Menu

Where are they?

Started by Gussy Keniji, September 05, 2007, 10:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gussy Keniji

I've been thinkin about this for a while now, and now I come with this question in mind:

Where exactly do the OS-tans 'live'? on one hand I speculate they reside in Japan...but on my other hand I theorize that they live in a cybernetic like world.

so anybody got a verdict?

"Wut..."

Bella

This, like the question of age or origin of OS-tans, is a difficult and speculative question to answer. I think most people will have a different view on it. I, however, think the OS-tans live at (or at least are "based out of") their respective company HQs.

IE, Win-tans live in Redmond, Macs in California, the speculative DEC-tans Massachusetts, ect.

Linuxes are an interesting case, since they really travel a lot...Linux-san hailed from Finland originally, but her daughters and granddaughters call Africa, Germany, American, France, and just about every other country home...

(so I guess one could say, in reference to Unix-sama, the cradle of OS-tan civilization was New Jersey!)

But these are just my personal thoughts on the subject.

NejinOniwa

It all depends on your perspective, I guess. Just like quantum physics. -w-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Darknight_88

The original OS-tans, they live in Japan, but they were born in Redmond :P
Or at least that's according to the "OS-tans in USA" comics (its in the first page, but unfortunately I don't have it right now to post) >_>

(so I guess one could say, in reference to Unix-sama, the cradle of OS-tan civilization was New Jersey!)
I disagree. The cradle of OS-tan civilization is Japan :P
And If we're going for the birthplaces of the OS's the original OS-tans represent, then it's Redmond >_>

Once again, Windows wins :D

Bella

QuoteI disagree. The cradle of OS-tan civilization is Japan :P
And If we're going for the birthplaces of the OS's the original OS-tans represent, then it's Redmond >_>

Yes, in RL the OS-tan concept came from Japan, but I was speaking in a fictional, non-canon way, from the OS-tan's point-of-view.

C-Chan

Quote(so I guess one could say, in reference to Unix-sama, the cradle of OS-tan civilization was New Jersey!)

Anoooo... as much as I risk getting burned at a cross for such a sacrilegious thing to say,.... there were other OSes before UNIX.... ^___^;
The actual technical cradle of real-life computing is still a debatable topic, although Germany is likely a credible possibility due to the Zuse Z3, and ignoring all the possible ancient "computing" devices of yore.... -v-;

But that's about as far as I'll touch the subject.  ^_____^;

Once again, Windows wins

Woah, wait....
Futaba Mac-tan and Linux-tan were born in Redmond?  O__o

I feel dirty somehow.... ^_____^;

*goes off to take a shower and burn Acer machine*

QuoteYes, in RL the OS-tan concept came from Japan, but I was speaking in a fictional, non-canon way, from the OS-tan's point-of-view.

Also notwithstanding all the proto OS-tans that appeared in years prior, (from those cute iMac girls to the Magical Girl Merlin-chan who uses the power of OS/2 to..... -v-

....but wait a sec, why are we still discussing conjectures here when you created your own thread just for that?  ^___^

G-g-g-g-get over there this instance, young lady!  ^0^

*tries to shove Bella-san sout of thread, but fails to budge her*

*heeeeeeeave*
(hooooooooooe*
*heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeave*  >v<

*collapses*

*huff puff*  You know.....
You were a lot more........................ mobile.................. as a Linspire-tan..... ^_____^

*faints with exhaustion*

Darknight_88

Quote from: "C-Chan"

Once again, Windows wins

Woah, wait....
Futaba Mac-tan and Linux-tan were born in Redmond?  O__o

I feel dirty somehow.... ^_____^;

*goes off to take a shower and burn Acer machine*
Well, ME-tan was the first OS-tan in the strict sense. So Redmond it's the birthplace of the first  OS-tan.

QuoteYes, in RL the OS-tan concept came from Japan, but I was speaking in a fictional, non-canon way, from the OS-tan's point-of-view.

Also notwithstanding all the proto OS-tans that appeared in years prior, (from those cute iMac girls to the Magical Girl Merlin-chan who uses the power of OS/2 to..... -v-

....but wait a sec, why are we still discussing conjectures here when you created your own thread just for that?  ^___^

G-g-g-g-get over there this instance, young lady!  ^0^

*tries to shove Bella-san sout of thread, but fails to budge her*

*heeeeeeeave*
(hooooooooooe*
*heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeave*  >v<

*collapses*

*huff puff*  You know.....
You were a lot more........................ mobile.................. as a Linspire-tan..... ^_____^

*faints with exhaustion*
Well...I don't want to be an OS-tan elitist but, technically, all those mascots are just that, mascots. Mascots for products are not new, but the concept of OS-tans was born on 2chan. I don't think you can considerate those characters previous to OS-tans as...OS-tans (lol, redundancy)

C-Chan

I've always wondered if the practical definition of an OS-tan would be an "open sourced" anime mascot of an operating system.  After all, we can all draw them and not get sued (at least not now anyway), which wasn't always the case with some of the previous......... shall we say,..... "mascots".  ^^

Darknight_88

Quote from: "C-Chan"I've always wondered if the practical definition of an OS-tan would be an "open sourced" anime mascot of an operating system.  After all, we can all draw them and not get sued (at least not now anyway), which wasn't always the case with some of the previous......... shall we say,..... "mascots".  ^^
Well, no one has been sued because companies probably don't care. Or in the case of Microsoft, maybe they don't even know about them. I have always wondered if the chibi-OS-tan figurines that are sold on E-bay are legal...since they're making profit under the Windows trademark?

Well, I always thought the definition of an OS-tan was...well, I never thought about it. Probably just a moé representation of an OS. But yeah, the open source thing could apply. But I still think it's mostly because companies don't care :P

Bella

QuoteAnoooo... as much as I risk getting burned at a cross for such a sacrilegious thing to say,.... there were other OSes before UNIX.... ^___^;
The actual technical cradle of real-life computing is still a debatable topic, although Germany is likely a credible possibility due to the Zuse Z3, and ignoring all the possible ancient "computing" devices of yore.... -v-;

But that's about as far as I'll touch the subject. ^_____^;

Maybe a more accurate thing to say is Unix was the beginning of "society" as we know it, not the actual beginning of "civilization"

...Maybe like the ancient Romans or Greeks...?

NejinOniwa

Hey, i think the egyptians are a bit disappointed in your history skills, bella-san.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

^

I meant, in terms of their governments, advanced architecture, technology, engineering, and what not, which has effected the world to this day. That's not to say the Egyptians didn't do as impressive things, though.

Is it just me or are we getting off-topic? ;)