Main Menu

OS-tan families

Started by Bella, March 16, 2007, 12:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Hi! I'm sort of new to OS-tans, so I don't know all the history and stuff behind them. I was wondering, however, about the relation of the different characters.

Are all the Windows tans and kuns supposed to be brothers and sisters?
Do the Mac-tans have any relation to each other?

Tsubashi

QuoteAre all the Windows tans and kuns supposed to be brothers and sisters?
Do the Mac-tans have any relation to each other?

Well, typically OS's from the same developers are portrayed in families, so yes, the M$-tans are Mac-tans are families.

Though it's not complete yet, the wiki provides a lot of information on each of the OS-tans, and the OS-tan Annex will give you basic groupings. (Though, not all of the factions are universally accepted ^^')

QuoteHi! I'm sort of new to OS-tans, so I don't know all the history and stuff behind them.

Don't worry, everyone starts somewhere. If you don't understand something, just ask!
-Tsu

Lovee

mac-tans have bombs, and M$-tans have negis^ ^
and sometimes NT seems like 2000's mother^ ^

Kami-Tux

The wikipedia-page says despite the rather big difference in age, the Windows-tans are sisters. I guess the Mac-tans are a family as well. No idea however how the -kuns fit there.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

CaptBrenden

so they say.. but then again they have been potrayed as having relationships before.. not of sibbling nature.. like hacchans crush on Homeo and so forth
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Bella

Quoteso they say.. but then again they have been potrayed as having relationships before.. not of sibbling nature.. like hacchans crush on Homeo and so forth

That's exactly what I was thinking...How are the kuns related to the tans. I know Mac OS 9-kun is supposed to be Mac-tans brother.

Tsubashi

I suppose in the case of the Windows group, being so many of them, they could all be categorized as "Distant Relative," being directly related to only those close in release date (98 and 98SE or Homeo and Homeko)
-Tsu

Bella

QuoteI suppose in the case of the Windows group, being so many of them, they could all be categorized as "Distant Relative," being directly related to only those close in release date (98 and 98SE or Homeo and Homeko)

That's what I sort of thought...The XPs, and perhaps 2k and Me-tan seem like a close family (brothers and sisters), due to their system, software and GUI... The 98s, 95s, and 3.1 might be brothers and sisters too...

Also, I was wondering, (besides NT-tan) are there any characters depicted as being mothers or fathers to any of the OS-tans?

Lovee

i guess not... except nt i could really find nobody as a mother or father of anyother os-tans in my brian -v-

Kami-Tux

Isn't Unix-sama the mother of all Unix-based-tans?

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

QuoteAlso, I was wondering, (besides NT-tan) are there any characters depicted as being mothers or fathers to any of the OS-tans?

Not in the canon OS-tans.  -v-
As far as they are concerned, what you see is what you get and all they are is one HUGE band of brothers and sisters, with a motherly NT and a token Linux tossed in for good measure.  -.-'

As far as emerging ones are concerned, I myself have quite a few....  -.-

QuoteIsn't Unix-sama the mother of all Unix-based-tans?

Precisely.  ^___^
If you want to be even more bombastic, you could call her the Mother of All Modern OSes.  ^.^

But I guess "Mother" is a very outdated term for Unix-sama, since after living for 40 years she now has children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, great great grandchildren, great great grand adoptees, and great great grand clones up the wazoo.....  -________-;
Quite a prolific old lass -- that's why I want my rendition of her to be uber special. ^^

In addition, we have the following motherly candidates:

- Apple I to all the Apple-tans/Mac-tans
- Windows 1.0 to the non-NT branch of Windows.
- DR-DOS (formerly CP/M) to the x86 DOS-tans
- The original Berkeley Software Distribution to FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc....
- TripOS to Amiga
- Amiga to MorphOS and AROS
- Plan 9 to Inferno
- VMS to Windows NT (shhh, it's a secret...)
- Xenix to SCO UNIX
- OS/2 to,... oh, I spoke too much.  -v-'

Interestingly-enough, I can't decide on any maternal Linuces yet.  ^^'[/list]

CaptBrenden

As far as emerging ones are concerned, I myself have quite a few.... -.-

-_- remember, you may have bore them onto paper or digital media, but if you want them to become wide spread you cant claim them.  Just as no one claims ownership over the other tans and those who did were struck down.  Just a thought and reminder.

Tho to claim to be owned by them is another story *runs off to his mistress 3.1samas side*

C-Chan

How the heck did THAT comment turn into an ownership issue?  O__o

And if you keep reveling in that popularity contest crap, I'm gonna start thinking the kettle is trying to call the pot black.   -v-

No go jump the gun someplace else.  Go on,... shoo,... scat,... git!  ^0^

CaptBrenden

dare you bring a virus into this?!?!

McAfee will not forgive you!

she says stop and desist!

Tsubashi

Virus? Try Worm!
Besides, it only affects lazy Windows server admins who never put in a password, so I've no Idea why you're worried! ^.^
-Tsu