Linux 0.12+VM-tan

Started by Kami-Tux, February 23, 2007, 09:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

If there'll be a PeeWeeLinux-tan, she can be "Pee Wee's Playhouse"-inspired! :D

And C-Chan, can you explain eCOS-tan's vendetta against RedHat-tan? (I know nothing. But I'm learning a lot of Linux-related stuff in these threads though!)

C-Chan

QuoteOh right, uploaded the two OS-tans. I don't think I need to upload Linux 0.12+VM-tan seperately, do I?

No that's fine.  ^__^
Our SVG collection is growing slowly but surely!  ^v^
(though the number of people willing to give Inkscape a try is shrinking and shrinking....  -____-')

BTW, not sure if you noticed this since I just did this morning, but the downloads automatically default to "not free" -- that is, only members can download them and the files deduct from their "download account" so to speak.  

I switched mine to "free downloads for members only" to stick with the spirit of GNU (while at the same time, guarding against the less kindly lurkers).  ^^'

QuoteYeah, there are a few distro-tans. which at least means that you never walk alone

Haha, that's the biggest understatement I've seen in a long time.  ^v^

It's my hope some day to see enough alternative OS-tans made so that a tapestry with them all becomes possible.  I imagine at the bottom would be the principle Windows OS-tans (3.1 through Vista), their backs faced away from the viewer looking on at the spectacle in front of them.

That spectacle would be a veritable sea of non-Windows OSes, each marching in their own groups, carrying banners representing their faction or families, and cheering/shouting/singing as if in a million-person rally.  Naturally the Linuces (marching with spears like hoplites) would be the largest and most impressive group, but you would also have Unices, Macs, Amigoids, Commodores, ZX clones, OS/2 clones, DOSes, DEC systems, RISC systems, handheld OSes, and all matter of alternative systems, past and present, free and proprietary, official or abandonware.  

The general rallying call would be "We Count Too!" or something along those lines.  ^__^

QuoteIf there'll be a PeeWeeLinux-tan, she can be "Pee Wee's Playhouse"-inspired!

*shudder*  I'll be sure to keep the poor DOS-tans WELL away from her, then.....  ^^;

QuoteAnd C-Chan, can you explain eCOS-tan's vendetta against RedHat-tan? (I know nothing. But I'm learning a lot of Linux-related stuff in these threads though!)

Something I read from the Wiki article inspired that notion.  Can't make the Linuces TOO perfect, so i figure a little dark history now and then would help keep them three dimensional characters.  -v-

QuoteeCos (embedded Configurable operating system) is an open source, royalty-free, real-time operating system intended for embedded systems and applications which need only one process with multiple threads. The OS is configurable, and can be customised to precise application requirements, with hundreds of options, delivering the best possible run-time performance and minimized hardware needs. A thriving net community has grown up around eCos ensuring ongoing technical innovation and wide platform support.

eCos was designed for devices with memory size in the tens to hundreds of kilobytes, or with real-time requirements. It can be used on hardware that doesn't have enough RAM to support embedded Linux, which currently requires a minimum of about 2 MB of RAM, not including application and service requirements.

eCos runs on a wide variety of hardware platforms, including ARM, CalmRISC, FR-V, Hitachi H8, IA-32, Motorola 68000, Matsushita AM3x, MIPS, NEC V8xx, PowerPC, SPARC, SuperH and Nios II.

Included with the eCos distribution is RedBoot, an open source application that uses the eCos Hardware Abstraction Layer to provide bootstrap firmware for embedded systems.

History

eCos was initially developed by Cygnus Solutions which was later bought by Red Hat. In early 2002, Red Hat ceased development of eCos and laid off the staff that were working on the project who then formed their own company, eCosCentric, in order to continue development and provide commercial support for eCos. In January 2004, at the request of the eCos developers, Red Hat agreed to transfer its eCos copyrights to the Free Software Foundation. The transfer was finally executed in October.

Kami-Tux

Quote from: "C-Chan"
BTW, not sure if you noticed this since I just did this morning, but the downloads automatically default to "not free" -- that is, only members can download them and the files deduct from their "download account" so to speak.  

I switched mine to "free downloads for members only" to stick with the spirit of GNU (while at the same time, guarding against the less kindly lurkers).  ^^'
Oh dear... I acted unGNUly. I did not see where to select that option. please forgive me! *hides face behind wings so no one sees me crying*

QuoteYeah, there are a few distro-tans. which at least means that you never walk alone

Haha, that's the biggest understatement I've seen in a long time.  ^v^

It's my hope some day to see enough alternative OS-tans made so that a tapestry with them all becomes possible.  I imagine at the bottom would be the principle Windows OS-tans (3.1 through Vista), their backs faced away from the viewer looking on at the spectacle in front of them.

That spectacle would be a veritable sea of non-Windows OSes, each marching in their own groups, carrying banners representing their faction or families, and cheering/shouting/singing as if in a million-person rally.  Naturally the Linuces (marching with spears like hoplites) would be the largest and most impressive group, but you would also have Unices, Macs, Amigoids, Commodores, ZX clones, OS/2 clones, DOSes, DEC systems, RISC systems, handheld OSes, and all matter of alternative systems, past and present, free and proprietary, official or abandonware.  

The general rallying call would be "We Count Too!" or something along those lines.  ^__^
*looks enthusiastic, squawks* I want to see that! I want to see that!

QuoteIf there'll be a PeeWeeLinux-tan, she can be "Pee Wee's Playhouse"-inspired!

*shudder*  I'll be sure to keep the poor DOS-tans WELL away from her, then.....  ^^;
I do not get these references...

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

QuoteOh dear... I acted unGNUly. I did not see where to select that option. please forgive me! *hides face behind wings so no one sees me crying*

*takes pictures*  That's right!  Cry for me!  CRY, you unGNUly person!!  MWAHAHAHA!!!  ^v^

Just kidding.  ^__^

It's not too late,... salvation can be had by clicking on your download, and then by pressing the "Edit Button".  The "free" radio button will read "no, yes, free for reg. users".

Quote*looks enthusiastic, squawks* I want to see that! I want to see that!

HAHA!!!  Hold your horses now, Penguin God!  ^v^

By "one day" I mean sometime in the D-I-S-T-A-N-T future, when more OS-tans become available (and time is plentiful,... *snicker snicker, chuckle chuckle*).  ^__^

I mean come on, you haven't even seen Unix-sama yet, so there's no chance in a million you're gonna see such an epic pic anytime soon.  ^.^

For now, sit back and enjoy the quiet stream of AmigaOS-tan pics, as well as those of her darling open source (and semi-open source) daughters, AROS-chan and MorphOS-chan.  -v-

*sighs lovingly*

But yeah, the prospect of having multiple Linuces in one picture is kinda cool, since they would be like Hoplites.  ^.^

QuoteI do not get these references...

Probably better that you don't.  ^__^
I never liked his shows to begin with, and his post-1990 history is generally not pretty.  

Better to free your mind from useless knowledge about celebrities, so there's more room for history, politics, and computer science.  -v-'

Added after 8 minutes:

FYI, I just noticed you slipped in more -tans to your gallery (naturally Gentoo for a Gentoo user, but the ME-tan was a surprise.  ^^).  I'm very glad to see you're really getting into this,.. compared to the quiet activity a few months ago, now you're really on a creative roll!  ^v^

BTW, found this at OSdata.com a few months ago, but up until now there was no one here that might've liked it.  ^__^'

Kami-Tux

*lol*

I am planning a scene where ME-tan chats with Gentoo-tan and NepaLinux-tan. I had to edit the SVG by hand for the Nepali :(

But first: *waddles off to change the permissions*

Added after 2 minutes:

*waddles back and hopes its soul is saved again*

Added after 1 hours 12 minutes:

Once again a group scene:

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-4551

NepaLinux-tan says: Hi! How are you?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Jereath

Hello Kami-Tux! Can you repost the question you asked me in the introducing thread? It will be better and clearer for other people to know what's happening in here!

Kami-Tux

C-Chan and I wondered how RedFlag Linux-tan would look like, but we both know nothing about China and that distro. So I asked for you to give us inspirations.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Jereath

I got one in mind! It will be quite a lengthy one too. If you got the front, side and behind of the Linux-tan, maybe I can tell you what to change or edit for the RedFlag Linux-tan.

I ask for Linux-tan pics because I completely had no idea how she looks like.

Basically RedFlag Linux-tan got to have red.
You can dress her up in cheongsam, a kind of traditional clothes for female.
There are many kind of them, ranging from loose clothing to body fit.
The length of the skirt is up to your own personal preference.
For the sexy type, I suggest moderate height red high heel.
The eyes should be black or brown.
Color of hair can range from Black to Copper
Two long pin with flower on it. The hair should be in the clipped type (instead of dropping it down, the end of the hair is facing either upward or side but no towards Earth).
Pink blush on her cheek.
You be creative about Linux's logo on her clothes.
If you can't put any logo on her clothes, try putting it on her Chinese fan.

Is this what you wanted? If it's correct, maybe I can sketch a picture for you? I got a tablet and it is still pretty much alien to me! Gosh..

Kami-Tux

Very good ideas!

These are Juzo-kun's renditions of Linux-tan:
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-2614
 http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-2631

normally, Linux-tan just looks slightly like a Tux without using the logo directly.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

QuoteOnce again a group scene:

Ah-ha!  Now I understand the addition of Gentoo and ME-tan!  That's a cute scene!  ^__^

And while I don't handle Nepali much on a daily basis, I think that came out very well.  ^.^

BTW, are you okay with the files being set on a transparent background?  Just thought maybe you'd rather have them on a solid white one.  ^^'

Quote*waddles back and hopes its soul is saved again*

This is the Year of the Pig and the Pig says you're forgiven, so you're safe now.  ^.^

Sainthood is still a long way off, although I hear you can bribe your way to divine favor with an AmigaOS rendition.  ^.^'

QuoteHello Kami-Tux! Can you repost the question you asked me in the introducing thread? It will be better and clearer for other people to know what's happening in here!

Haha!  ^__^

Most of the "Others" are too busy fawning over XP-tan's boobs to really care about Linux.  ^^;
But yeah, the Penguin God was nice enough to repost.  ^.^

QuoteBasically RedFlag Linux-tan got to have red.
You can dress her up in cheongsam, a kind of traditional clothes for female.
There are many kind of them, ranging from loose clothing to body fit.
The length of the skirt is up to your own personal preference.
For the sexy type, I suggest moderate height red high heel.
The eyes should be black or brown.
Color of hair can range from Black to Copper
Two long pin with flower on it. The hair should be in the clipped type (instead of dropping it down, the end of the hair is facing either upward or side but no towards Earth).
Pink blush on her cheek.
You be creative about Linux's logo on her clothes.
If you can't put any logo on her clothes, try putting it on her Chinese fan.

Kewl,... ^.^

For anyone who's not sure what a cheongsam is, it's what's referred to in the West as a "Mandarin Dress",... for the most part anyway.  

To put it simply, it's actually what the new Linspire OS-tan wears.... -v-

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10227/1118909522686.png

Significant sex appeal possibilities open.  ^.^

As for her spear, I'm thinking something elaborate along the lines of the bearded halberd that Guan Yu wielded.  ^.^

QuoteThese are Juzo-kun's renditions of Linux-tan:
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-2614
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-2631

normally, Linux-tan just looks slightly like a Tux without using the logo directly.

FYI, the original Futaba Channel Linux-tan (that started it all) looked like this:

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10570/1152767977132.jpg

And for a combination of the two designs, here's my chibi version.... ^^

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10570/ChibiLinux-tan.png

Drawn 100% in Inkscape.  ^v^

[No Photoshop necessary, except in coverting the picture file to a 56K-friendly format.  -v-]

Kami-Tux

QuoteOnce again a group scene:

Ah-ha!  Now I understand the addition of Gentoo and ME-tan!  That's a cute scene!  ^__^

And while I don't handle Nepali much on a daily basis, I think that came out very well.  ^.^
Thank you!
BTW, are you okay with the files being set on a transparent background?  Just thought maybe you'd rather have them on a solid white one.  ^^'
Nah, I do it intentionally so people can more easy build upon them. After trying to get Ubuntu-tan's head from the yellow background to a neutral one, I thought this might be better.

Quote*waddles back and hopes its soul is saved again*

This is the Year of the Pig and the Pig says you're forgiven, so you're safe now.  ^.^

Sainthood is still a long way off, although I hear you can bribe your way to divine favor with an AmigaOS rendition.  ^.^'
hmmm, actually... it was Amiga-OS which used Guru meditation? Maybe I should draw her meditating.

Quote from: "C-Chan"To put it simply, it's actually what the new Linspire OS-tan wears.... -v-

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10227/1118909522686.png
TY!

[No Photoshop necessary, except in coverting the picture file to a 56K-friendly format.  -v-]

I thought for drawings, SVG is more 56k-friendly...

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Quotehmmm, actually... it was Amiga-OS which used Guru meditation? Maybe I should draw her meditating.

Hehe,... will have to upgrade you from Kami-Tux to ZuttoZuttoKami-Tux.  ^__^

We thank you!  ^.^

QuoteI thought for drawings, SVG is more 56k-friendly...

Well yeah, but I mean PNG exported out of Inkscape are in the high-quality 24-bit format, which tends to be very file size heavy.  ^v^;

So I use an image editor to convert it to 8-bit color.  -v-

Added after 32 minutes:

Wow!  I found someone very familiar here:

http://www.inkscape.org/doc/tracing/tutorial-tracing.de.html

...Fufu... ^.^

Kami-Tux

Okay, C-Chan, I do not feel good about posting this. Don't be cruel to me for defacing Amiga-Tan.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

HAHA!!  ^v^
You think WAY too low of me....  ^___^'
I remember when you told me that you were a proponent of Western-style art, so I wasn't expecting a mirror image of my renditions of course.  ^v^

I'm already uber-happy and grateful that you chose to give one of my girls a shot!  And the end result has a unique charm to it, making her (if you don't mind me saying) my favorite Kami-Tux Special!  ^v^

I only have one real recommendation -- since she is meditating, you can feel free to draw her eyes closed.  ^__^

BTW, did you use a pattern fill for her Boing Ball shirt?  ^__^

Added after 2 minutes:

BTW, the Pig hereby upgrades you to the rank of ZuttoZuttoKami-Tux!!  ^v^

Although since that's a handful to say, how about just ZZKami-Tux?  ^^'

Kami-Tux

No, I did not use a pattern-fill. I tried to give the hint that her chest is not flat like DOs-tans and therefore tried to 'distort' the patterns a bit. This would not have been supported with pattern-fill.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!