Demon's Horrible Arte Parade

Started by NejinOniwa, February 19, 2007, 02:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

thread necromancy, brb
::::::::::

This has been converted from a sole DC-Tan art thread to a thread to inhabit all of my creations. Yarr!

ZOMFS late.
I know, but I haven't been doing very well lately and also my mind has wandered off onto other stages, so my little pirate couldn't get the attention she needed. But now, after a long bloody time of editing, shading, re-editing, cleaning, screwing things up, fixing them, and MOST OF ALL ixnay-on-the-color-choice, the first acceptably good image is done. Oh haels slow, yes, but at least not dropped into the waste bin and thrown away, or just forgotten in some random anonymous folder in the deeps of the hard drive. DONE. So here she is, DC-Tan. The bg is just blatant ripping of patterns in GIMP, but so what, that's what they're there for, deshou? Anyways, it's also time for a data update, since things that need you to go beyond your thought-out borders always happens...at least for me. (I'm a very impulsive person i guess)

::::::::DATA UPDATE::::::::
DC-tan

Hair: Grey/White, slightly more than shoulder length.
Eye color: Right eye is lightning purple, left eye covered by eyepatch, but possibly some sort of blue. (see below)
Nationality: Swedish, for some oddball reason. According to herself, it's something about the vikings.
Clothing: She wears either knee-length skirts or puffy pants, normally in black/white and similar colors, a sky-blue vest featuring the "download" and "upload" icons in green and red, an amethyst necklace round her neck, a pirate hat with a large DC++ icon on the front and a disturbingly black eye-patch.
Powers and the like: She has the ability to "skate" on blades of wind, allowing her to cover great distances very fast. She is a master gunman and usually carries around two 18:th century style ornate pistols by her waist. Also, below her eye-patch is her second eye, which is shifting in blue and silver circles, which can see incredible distances as well as through most walls...and other people's clothing.
Personality: She is slightly anti-social, quite shy and not very friendly against others, and seems to have a grudge against almost all the OS-tans. She also at times show signs of self-hate of some degree. Normally, she has a very sarcastic attitude and likes to make fun of people, but is a hard worker when she gets to it. When removing her eye-patch though, she loses nearly all traces of personality can at times become completely emotionless.

:::::::::END OF TRANSMISSION::::::::

That's it for today's data update, but I might do more later if i change my mind or get new ideas. Attachment does not like my pictures though, and since the original sized pic is big, I'll only post up the re-sized version.

NOW I WILL DAZZLE YOU.
(or at least, attempt to. Probably fail.)

Et voila! (Or something) I have to admit it is an improvement from the last one, at the very least. What I also have to admit is that I STILL fail miserably at making her look any kinds of feminine, and this time all i did was making her look ways more evil. Um. Then again, she IS a pirate, so that may just be for the better.

Hope you like! ^-^;
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

C-Chan

QuoteZOMFS late.
I know, but I haven't been doing very well lately and also my mind has wandered off onto other stages, so my little pirate couldn't get the attention she needed. But now, after a long bloody time of editing, shading, re-editing, cleaning, screwing things up, fixing them, and MOST OF ALL ixnay-on-the-color-choice, the first acceptably good image is done. Oh haels slow, yes, but at least not dropped into the waste bin and thrown away, or just forgotten in some random anonymous folder in the deeps of the hard drive. DONE. So here she is, DC-Tan. The bg is just blatant ripping of patterns in GIMP, but so what, that's what they're there for, deshou? Anyways, it's also time for a data update, since things that need you to go beyond your thought-out borders always happens...at least for me. (I'm a very impulsive person i guess)

Yo NejinOniwa.  ^__^
Well, I'm sorry to hear that all loads of problems have been preventing you from working on DC-tan.  But kudos to you for making the attempt to get a colored version up and running -- like you say, better finished than sitting all alone in your HD festering.  -v-

Slow speeds are a problem though (at least for me), so either you can continue drawing more to start picking up the pace, or you can try your hand at vector graphics to see if a "sculpting" approach better fits your thought process.

Or,... as you say, "impulsiveness".  ^__^'

QuoteNOW I WILL DAZZLE YOU. (or at least, attempt to. Probably fail.)

Et voila! (Or something) I have to admit it is an improvement from the last one, at the very least. What I also have to admit is that I STILL fail miserably at making her look any kinds of feminine, and this time all i did was making her look ways more evil. Um. Then again, she IS a pirate, so that may just be for the better.

Hope you like! ^-^;

Well hell yeah, Kudos again for opting to draw and edit it yourself.  ^__^
Even if you don't seem to have a high opinion of your work, you should feel proud that you committed to all that stuff and accomplished it successfully.  Her concept is now on paper (or more specifically, on a digital medium), so you can add improvements as you like whenever you like.  ^v^

With the hardest part over, now's the time you offer us your wishlist of things you want added or changed.  For example, you want more feminine features,... normally that would be an easy tastk, but with so many feminine models out there, it might help if you had someone in particular that inspires you.  ^__^

BTW, doesn't look evil to me, though it could be that Kooh from 'Super Swing Golf' has desensitized me to the whole notion of evil pirates.... -v-

NejinOniwa

Guh. What can i say...?
Anyways, what's really my problem about the speed isn't really the drawing (considering i sketched the foreground to that pic in about an hour or so one late Saturday evening) but rather my extreme lack of speed in digital editing. Then again i noticed i got better at it quite much faster as i proceeded, so i think that my pace will probably pick up a bit with some practice (it usually does.), so aside from that there's just the problem of assigning time to work on it, since i still will probably need somewhere around two days (with an acceptable schedule) to complete a fair edit, with the methods i used on this one. I know all too well that my methods are, whilst quite accurate, VERY slow and rather primitive and so on, so if anyone has any good ideas and usual mistakes about editing, please let me know (I use gimp, fyi). The slowness of the edit on this one made me feel like such a DORK.

And about vectoring and digital art and stuff...i don't even have a clue of how to do good stuff with it, and i don't think i want to spend months of anger at my slowness of learning it, so, i'll just stick with what i already know fairly well for the time being.

C-Chan

Hold that thought, I'll be right with you.  ^v^

*runs off to continue tying up some loose ends*

Added after 15 hours 25 minutes:

QuoteAnyways, what's really my problem about the speed isn't really the drawing (considering i sketched the foreground to that pic in about an hour or so one late Saturday evening) but rather my extreme lack of speed in digital editing. Then again i noticed i got better at it quite much faster as i proceeded, so i think that my pace will probably pick up a bit with some practice (it usually does.), so aside from that there's just the problem of assigning time to work on it, since i still will probably need somewhere around two days (with an acceptable schedule) to complete a fair edit, with the methods i used on this one. I know all too well that my methods are, whilst quite accurate, VERY slow and rather primitive and so on, so if anyone has any good ideas and usual mistakes about editing, please let me know (I use gimp, fyi). The slowness of the edit on this one made me feel like such a DORK.

Well I'd rather not assign speed as a gauge of "dorkiness", because you see,...

When I first tried my shot at carpentry last year, I was also extraordinarily slow -- accurate and systematic in my mind at least, but my snail's pace ensured a simple dollie (you know, the palette on wheels) required weeks to complete, as opposed to 1/2 hour for a professional carpenter.  And naturally, the end product was fault-ridden (I used wood screws instead of nuts/bolts, so it's longevity is suspect) and I did feel a bit,... like a moron at first.  ^___^

But I knew I was working on something I wasn't useful, and essentially teaching myself to do it, so I still felt a sense of pride that I had at least accomplished something on my own.  So I kept at it, making triumphs and mistakes over and over again, until finally,... though still not a professional carpenter, I can at least produce some very nifty, very creative and [most importantly] very STRONG pieces.  -v-

In short, don't beat yourself up for taking too long doing these things, as your unconsciously just trying to learn at your own pace.

The reason I stress speed is for a different reason,... if your real life needs are very demanding, I would rather your art interfere with those needs as little as possible (be it work or study or family needs).  Especially since the net practical benefit of art in our culture is perhaps not as high as it should be.  -.-
Naturally, the faster you can complete your work, the less intrusive it is while still offering the necessary morale boost to keep going. ^__^

QuoteAnd about vectoring and digital art and stuff...i don't even have a clue of how to do good stuff with it, and i don't think i want to spend months of anger at my slowness of learning it, so, i'll just stick with what i already know fairly well for the time being.

Okay, fair enough.  ^.^
But if you do change your mind, let me know.  ^v^

I'm still eager to show someone how easy and novice-friendly it is to sculpt in Inkscape.  ^___^
So far, not much success..... -v-'

NejinOniwa

Ayou, minasan!
Just writing to tell you alls that this thread won't be updated for a whiles, since I'll be gone on skiings holidays, nyoron. But hopefully I will haves megas much things for heres when i returns! Mattetei-nyoron!

sorry for the (bad) attempt at tsuruya-speech. but i just had to.

C-Chan

NejinOniwa, now that I recall, how goes your progress on this picture?  I'd like to help, but not sure if you'd like that.  'v'

NejinOniwa

Help? Maa...^-^
You can do as much as you like to help - I'm right now rather puzzled about the shading and stuff...ssu ^-^;
This project has been down for a while (school stuff), but sunday night gave me some inspiration and so now i'm halfway through the coloring of the next piccy, ssu. (Also, the sketch turned out much better ^-^ I guess i'm improving my skills!) Since I'm starting to experiment bits with shading and stuff (last time i just did clean colorings), i'd like any ideas there are for how to fix it up properly...currently it's the eyepatch that's bugging me, i mean, how are you supposed to shade that? I looked for references and ideas, but all i can recall is FMA's Roy, and his eyepatch isn't shaded at all, just plain black. I'm thinking of doing the same, but I dunno how that will work out, ssu...^-^;
Anyways, I've got a chemistry test and an ensemble taking up my time tomorrow, so i won't have much time before dusk on doing things, meaning it's most probable i'll be having this done on thursday night somewhere, or perhaps later if i do anything special.

By the way, with this piccy comes a new outfit for my lil' pirate, a some sort of coat which i don't really know much about except for that it's labeled with stars and icons that makes it look sort of like a military uniform or something. I'm having some trouble on deciding on coloring and stuff, anyone got any ideas? I'll post up my latest alpha on my photobucket gallery if anyone wants to see the current status...it's not fixed with much though, so don't expect much, ssu ^-^; I can't do much wonders with GIMP-tan yet, ssu...

(On a side note, does anyone know if there's any GIMP-tan design around? If so, show somewhere; if not, I could lend my drawing skills out to some new software...)

Anyways, to sum it up, it's back up rolling after a long standstill, ssu!

C-Chan

No problem, then,... methinks I'll take a look at the shading issue then.  ^__^

Eyepatches can usually be left pitch black, but if you want crimps, folds and/or reflections and the like, then sure I'll draw you some examples of how you can go about it.  ^^
I'll check it out (your Photobucket version) before days end.  ^v^

There's barely just one Photoshop-tan that we know of, so fat chance that anyone's agreed to do a GIMP-tan. ^^;

You could try digging a little deeper into Kazumi,... however, my piggy sense says she's pretty much fair game.  ^.^

NejinOniwa

Sorry for the delay, I had to go fry up some tacos.
<.<
>.>
*hem*

There's no hope of that kind of findings at Kazumi, i've explored all of the Os-tan storages on Kazumi that i know of, and haven't even found the Photoshop-tan image anywhere (although I've seen it around here). Zen-zen...
Ah well, there goes another thing down on my to-do list, then!
*scribble*
So what should she be like, then? Maybe some likenesses with the gimp icon mascot animal thingy? (ano kuro, nagahana no mono-ssu)

Added after 1 hours 11 minutes:

Hey guys, guess what I have! UH-HUH! NEW AVI-SSU!!! -^v^-

[attachment deleted by admin]

C-Chan

Okay, cool new avatar!  I definitely see that you've been working on her some more!  ^___^

FYI, the link to your Photobucket Gallery seems to lead me to your login page instead.  ^^'

Please repost so I can check your work out and come up with some ideas about the new uniform (coloring and shading-wise, you say...).  -.-

I'll also need a bigger picture so I can work on that their eye-patch.  ^^
But just for starters, perhaps it'd be better to use simply a dark shade of gray instead.  That way, the shadow cast from that that bunch of hair over her face will be more noticeable.  Some light highlights in the top-middle section of the eyepatch (where the light reflects) could help too, since most eye-patches aren't matte but rather satiny or glossy.  ^^

NejinOniwa

Since the third alpha is way too big to post without messing up the thread, i'll post the resized fourth alpha here instead.

That ought to fix that problem.

C-Chan

Ah yes, now we're cookin' with fiya!  ^__^
The softened details do help very much in accentuating her feminine features.  Her hair is gracious and full -- perhaps a bit frizzled, but certainly Moe material.  ^^
There is only a small hint of a breast, but I recall you told me that she's a bit on the young side, so no problems there.   We can problably move the nose downward a little, but this isn't much of an issue since the middle bang is covering it.

I am liking what I'm seeing, so I have to say your patience and self-teaching efforts are working.  ^__^

NejinOniwa

Hehehe! Ah, you just reminded me of how big time i suck on taking positive critique...-^-^-
Anyways, this is still just an alpha, and manual smudge takes a lot of time, so fixing the frizzly stuff and the raw lines takes a while, but of course that won't stop me, just delay me a bit. And as for her breast, well, I'm not sure how to make it more apparent without making it too much, so i'll lay low there for a while, i think. The middle bang is a classic for covering up for bad facial features - but also bit of a "thing" she has, since i've drawn it on her on every picture of her i've made so far, and thus has to be included...or something. But as i said before...
Does ANYONE have an idea for a color scheme?
As the software isn't really the most colorful thing ever, to say the least (all gray everywhere 'sept the icons), there's not much to go on, and the only thing I've thought of is blue, but that would be severe ripping off of 2k-sama, which would be frowned upon by both me and others (i think). Sooo....anyone? Pwetty pwease?

C-Chan

(Huh?  Suck at positive critique?  But you usually just nod your head through that... ^^')

Ah, so THAT's what you meant by the color scheme.  ^^

Honestly, didn't notice because the white works unusually well here.

Maybe the boots could be black, else the white overload makes her look like an angel instead of a pirate.  

From pictures of Kooh-san, I've noticed that grays and blacks can work very well on cute pirates.  ^___^

NejinOniwa

Well, yes, but since her hair is gray/white, her hat is gray and her eyepatch is black, and i generally fancy some colors...well, you know. Also she's not supposed to look like an angel - she's a pirate, you know? ^-^;
And nodding my head is another way of sucking at that. Ne...

And in some random spurt of inspiration i sat down and started writing a fanfic. I wonder how long it will become before lose the spirit...?