Windows Vista

Started by Laevatein, February 08, 2007, 05:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Having your cake and eating it too, so to speak.  ^___^
I've heard that the GIMP developers wanted to focus on the functionality first before focusing on the UI (which is probably the reason why I'm not alone in thinking the program's a bit awkward to use.  What that means, though, is that now that most of the functions they want are already in place for version 2.4, then can freely focus on updating the User Interface for version 2.6.  Then perhaps if they're successful, it can really turn into a viable open source Photoshop alternative.

(personally, though, I still want to put my money on Krita... ^.^)

In any event, I'm very overjoyed to hear that you've had an OS-awakening, Bella-san.  Always remember that people sent satellites into orbit and astronauts to the moon using computers that weren't even 1/1000th of the computing power of K8!  UNIX-sama began her great reign in an era where CRT monitors were unheard of!!  ^__^

It ultimately boils down to the person using the machine....

As long as you're empowered, and have the will and knowledge to foster that empowerment, you can fly high even with the Hacchan/Puppy-chan Compaq!  ^v^

In a way, my greatest gripe with Vista (and associated products) is that it has gone to the greatest lengths of any Windows systems to strip the user of any power.

Bella

QuoteIn any event, I'm very overjoyed to hear that you've had an OS-awakening, Bella-san. Always remember that people sent satellites into orbit and astronauts to the moon using computers that weren't even 1/1000th of the computing power of K8! UNIX-sama began her great reign in an era where CRT monitors were unheard of!! ^__^

You know, I have friends who use ME(!) and are fairly happy with it ;)

But I do see your point, even though I was mostly speaking of the physical aspects of OSs, IE, their GUIs. I guess a good way to summarize my thinking now is, "give up beauty and put an end to your troubles" XD

Not that I don't appreciate a nice-looking OS, but I'll take performance over looks any day.

To be honest, I'm starting to see how some folks can go without a GUI...! Though I think that'd even be a bit to complicated for my liking : |

QuoteIn a way, my greatest gripe with Vista (and associated products) is that it has gone to the greatest lengths of any Windows systems to strip the user of any power.

Yes, that's one of my problems with it too, but I also don't like to support stupidity and self (or in their case, company)-destructive behavior ;014

Plus, I think I'm pretty attached to XP in a strange way. I don't think any new Windows could ever stack up against XP, I don't think I could ever use another version of Windows without constantly nitpicking about it : |

nicoruizmza

The last friday night,  just for trying I install Vista Bussnes Edition(that my univesity give me with a "free of cost" license (that is really true!) ;054 ) in my small pc (3 HDs and 384 Ram with 2 Win XP pro and a W98), but the case is that I was think that didn't work because of the ram it's less than the Minimum requirements (512MB Ram) but when the installation finished and reboot my pc Vista started to start smoothly, a little slow but smooth
So I tried a little, but I delete it occupied a lot of space and it was very slow for my taste.
I prefer to continue using the XP every possible
N.D.R.P. Estudios
NicoRuiz
;010

U-Know

Is it really worth it?
I need to know before getting my new computer later this year. Can anyone give me info on it's gaming? 8D

CaptBrenden

Well if you have a system that can handle vista, it can handle any game you want to throw at it. Plus alot of microsoft games are vista only now, like Halo 2 PC.  Gaming has traditionaly been microsofts market so I can assume it does a good job at that.. but I couldnt be sure myself.  I currently dont use it for gaming whenever I do PC game.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

IanDanKilmaster

While I may despise Vista with every fiber of my brutal being, I have to agree with the Cap'n on this one.  If you truly want to be on the bleeding edge of computer gaming (read: the latest computer games), you'll want to use Vista.  Most everything, if not everything, new runs on DX10, which, last time I checked, will only run on Vista.  Even as a hardcore Linux user, I must say that Windows still has the edge when it comes to mainstream PC gaming (yeah, I know, that's an oxymoron).  Repeat, I would only recommend Vista if you are dead-set on staying ahead of curve when it comes to PC games, otherwise, I'd say stick with XP.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Bella

^ I concur -__- I'm no expert on games, but one would think I'd be practical for M$ (or the game manufacturers) to even try to make their new programs work with XP, seeing as so many people still use it.

Of course, it makes people have to switch to a newer OS if the games stop working for the older version, so yeah, it is a good idea from an M$ standpoint (IE, you can't play Halo 2 unless you have M$ Vista or an M$ Xbox...do they even make it for any other consoles?)

Although, I don't game on my computer (unless you count PS or Inkscape XD), so I'm free and clear on this one :P

nicoruizmza

From my standpoint, I do not like this OS, is not very compatible with games that work very well in win 98 or XP (For example Final Fantasy 7 with XP Path), also is almost incompatible with many emulators consoles.

Besides reading Micro $ oft according wants forcing everyone to use PCs that support Vista and his software and games
N.D.R.P. Estudios
NicoRuiz
;010

C-Chan

Hear ye, hear ye,....

I'm issuing a Windows ME advisory for Windows Vista, given that Windows 7 (fka, BlackComb, Vienna) has been on the news lately:

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18804/Thoughts-on-MinWin-Windows-7-and-Virtualisation/

...and just in time to cover up lagging sales.  It is possible for history to repeat itself, and the unpopularity of Vista can help bolster sales of the subsequent platform.  However, 2010 is not 2001,... aside from the greater sophistication in the alternatives, M$ is also obliged to adhere to strict licensing/surveillance schemes and DRM, which could possibly get worse by then.  It's no accident that they've allied themselves with Novell, Linspire, Xandros and TurboLinux, since their stake in these companies act as a sort of failsafe measure in case their OS dominance can't be maintained indefinitely.

Gaming is a tough nut to crack, but developers will inevitably go wherever the money is.  I'd personally wish more companies adopted a Ransom Model for games -- after a set profit margin is reached, the source for the game is released and freed forever.

Bella

Meh.

I really don't care anymore.

XP is going to be the first Windows I liked, and the last one I'll use.

4RC71C-M4N

I got a new Acer Aspire 5920G
with Vista Home Premium!  ;001
This laptop can´t work without Vista
cause many drivers for this system
are not compatible with XP.  ;014

It still has some bugs but it´s ok
cause I´ve already mastered
the most XP problems on my old systems.
That´s just the start of new work!  ;012

I´m still working on a new sound-profile
so my laptop will call me "master" in japanese
at start-up. ["welcome master" etc. ...]

C-Chan

QuoteMeh.

I really don't care anymore.

XP is going to be the first Windows I liked, and the last one I'll use.

Poor Bella-san's all Vista'd out.  ^__^
Point of fact, I'm kinda bored myself.  Let me go back to playing around with 3ePC-chan and Compiz Fusion.  ^.^

QuoteI got a new Acer Aspire 5920G
with Vista Home Premium! Smile at army !
This laptop can´t work without Vista
cause many drivers for this system
are not compatible with XP.

Fufu... that's a fairly underhanded attempt to deprive you of XP.  ^^'
Now THAT kind of laptop is what I call "Linux bait".  ^>^

But besides that, didn't you say you got that machine because your other one got wrecked in an,.... A-C-C-I-D-E-N-T?!!!!!!  @.@;
Mah mah,... before anything else, I have to make sure you're okay, you know.  ^^;

NejinOniwa

WEEEELLL.....

There are at least SOME things that are supposed to be "Vista Only" that can still be played on XP.

...like for example, Halo 2 "vista". Yes, I have tried it out personally, and it works flawlessly. Also an open source XP version of DX10 is being worked on by third parties - although I wouldn't trust my rendering to that any time this week, something like it might be complete in the future.

There IS hope for the old busty lady, and there sure is a horde of users willing to fight for her.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

seth

I have XP on my desktop and Vista on my laptop. I find Vista runs fine and it looks nice, but I don't have any real need to upgrade my desktop to Vista. Vista just doesn't seem to have anything anyone absolutely needs to do anything.

Dos

I have Xp-tan on my computer
-Dos
"...and these children that you spit on,
as they try to change their worlds are
immune to your consultations.  They\'re
quite aware of what they\'re going through...
                                       - David Bowie"
Well it nice to meet now i have to go now
speak softly but carry a big stick

today is a summer service day, today is a summer service day, lets all go together to the blue blue sea, beach volleyball smashing watermelons it\'ll be so much fun we\'ll never leave. heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh" *head bobbles like an idiot*
believe in me, who believes in you