Windows Vista

Started by Laevatein, February 08, 2007, 05:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laevatein

With Vista only recently released, was just wondering which of you are either already using Vista, or planning to. I plan to reformat my PC with Vista this month as soon as I can upgrade my HDD capacity.

-War is hell, and I mean to make it so. - William Tecumseh Sherman

Darknight_88

Planning to. When I get my new laptop in some 4 months. Hopefully there'll be a lot of bugs fixed in that time :D

But I wouldn't mind staying with Windows XP for some more time...

Aurora Borealis

I've tried out a PC running Vista for a couple minutes when at a store with computers on display out of curiousity. Can't say if I'm impressed or not because it was only for a few minutes but I really like the GUI though! Got a lot more eye candy but at least it doesn't look as cheesy as XP, IMO.

But wait a minute, that PC was using Vista Home Basic and I thought the Home Basic version (as well as any pirated Vista version) didn't have the Aero interface! (There was an article about it on Fark a few months ago)

zerodin

Definantly gonna hold off on getting Vista.
I just don't have a reason to get it! XP suits my needs just fine.

Tsubashi

Already have, and am running Vista. Can't say I'm impressed though, it really bogs down my computer (I don't use my PC much, so it's kinda old ^^; ) I'll probably end up switching back to 2000 Pro. ^.^

I wonder if it would install using bootcamp? No way I'm infecting my Mac, though. If any other Mac user tries, let me know what happens! ^^

Later:

I did some googling, and while Apple does not support it, their are plenty of third parties who have figured out how to put Vista on most Macs. Creepy!
-Tsu

CaptBrenden

Im using Vista Ultimate one one computer.. still got Xp on this one.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Lovee

Quote from: "Tsubashi"Already have, and am running Vista. Can't say I'm impressed though, it really bogs down my computer (I don't use my PC much, so it's kinda old ^^; ) I'll probably end up switching back to 2000 Pro. ^.^

I wonder if it would install using bootcamp? No way I'm infecting my Mac, though. If any other Mac user tries, let me know what happens! ^^

Later:

I did some googling, and while Apple does not support it, their are plenty of third parties who have figured out how to put Vista on most Macs. Creepy!

it's said that u'd better not install vista with bootcamp...

and i wanna install vista to have a play with it but i'm using an ibook with ppcG4... and the pc in my home is so old, it's bought in last century...

Myrdin

The moment I heard they were actually rendering 3d buttons I lost the desire to "upgrade" to vista. It seems like a terrible waste of resources. I'll keep using XP until it stops doing what I need it to.

CaptBrenden

well when you have a shit ton of extra resorces like some people (me) you can do things like vista...as computers get faster it wont be that bad anymore.  Hell I still remember when I couldnt upgrade to win95 cus my computer was too slow
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Laevatein

Quote from: "Myrdin"The moment I heard they were actually rendering 3d buttons I lost the desire to "upgrade" to vista. It seems like a terrible waste of resources. I'll keep using XP until it stops doing what I need it to.

Vista does have the option to use the classic interface, which would cut down on the graphics requirements.

-War is hell, and I mean to make it so. - William Tecumseh Sherman

Myrdin

My system is not at all slow. It's just that I don't like such a frivolous thing consuming resources.
Athlon 64 X2 4400 OC'd 10%
2 gigs DDR2 800 3-3-3-5
GB NVidia 7800 OC'd 15%

More importantly, I could build another tube amp for the price of the Vista upgrade. Tube amps are splendiferous.

Tsubashi

I think my general reaction is: "Wow, this is cool!" but at the same time "They spent six years building features I can't/won't use?!?"

All in all, it's a good operating system, but just not financially feasible.
-Tsu

NejinOniwa

I'm way too paranoid for vista. Mister Gates will probably just add some master control program in the automatic updates someday and take over the world, so, pass.

...wait a minute, why the hell hasn't he done that yet?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Kami-Tux

NejinOniwa, XP already phones home a lot of info!

I will use Windows Vista when pigs with green polkadots fly past my window!

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Haha,... just be thankful I only have wings so far, but no green polkadots yet.  ^^;

The commercial release of Vista is still just another beta test with prettier packaging.  Add to that their questionable love for DRM and the draconian security (more like surveillance) features (plus the prospect of more added with each service pack), and you've got something /Cchan wouldn't touch even if they paid me to.

(Or they could pay me to use it, and I'll just quickly sell it to some gamer who'd sooner trade in his rights for the latest WoW expansion.  -v-')

Here's hoping the Vista-tans (sailor fuku and co.) are about as successful as Zune-tan.  -v-'