Huh...just had an odd thought.

Started by zerodin, February 07, 2007, 02:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerodin

What are OS-tans exactly.
Are they simply mascots.
Little robots that run on their respective OSes?
The OS itself?

C-Chan

You might view them sort of as mascots (but not really, since mascots tend to be animals), but in reality they are Anime-style personifications of the Operating Systems themselves.  -v-

Think of the new Apple commercials where you have one average joe-type man personifying the Macintosh, and a business rep personifying Windows.  Something like that.  -v-

zerodin

Well I ask because I've seen pics of em with USB cables and such before.

Laevatein

Most often, the OS-tans are antropomorphs of the OS themselves i.e. they're what the OS would look like if they took on human form, which is why one of the most endearing traits about OS-tans is how their behavior, looks and personalities are derived from the various traits of the OS they're based on (like XP being hungry all the time because she need lots of memory, or how 95 hates Mac because they were real-world rivals, and of course how ME is shown as a klutz because most people found ME unreliable, which started the whole OS-tan business in the first place XD).

-War is hell, and I mean to make it so. - William Tecumseh Sherman

Lovee

Quote from: "zerodin"Well I ask because I've seen pics of em with USB cables and such before.

ME also take "negi" and mac os always take bombs...
i can understand why ME takes negi but why do mac os take bombs?

Laevatein

While I've never used Macs too much, supposedly the bombs are the graphics used to denote errors (like Window's exclamation mark). Someone clarify for us please ^^;;;

-War is hell, and I mean to make it so. - William Tecumseh Sherman

Lovee

Quote from: "Laevatein"While I've never used Macs too much, supposedly the bombs are the graphics used to denote errors (like Window's exclamation mark). Someone clarify for us please ^^;;;

well i haven't seen a graphic or mark like a bomb on mac, and that's why i'm so interested in that bomb...
it seems that someone told me about it before but i forgot -v-

Tsubashi

Oh! Bombs were used on "Classic" Macintosh systems when a program crashed. It's windows equivalent is:
Quote from: "Win98"This program has performed an illegal operation and will now be shut down
Most of the time it required you to reboot your Mac. I've played around with a lot of old Mac, so I've seen this a couple of times.

BTW, "Classic," in general, denotes pre-OS X systems. OS X, due to it's radical deviation from most Mac OS's, wraps both the "Sad Mac" and the Bomb into it's Kernel Panic, which I have seen a total of Twice.

The "Sad Mac" was, for those who don't know, the "Classic" Mac's Blue Screen of Death.
-Tsu

Lovee

uh i have seen "sad mac" for some times... on my iPod...
but i really didn't know the bomb-v-
thanQ ^ ^

Tsubashi

No Problem. I'm just glad I actually was able to help!
-Tsu

C-Chan

Just out of curiousity, what does this Kernel Panic look like?  ^__^

(I suppose I could just google it, but then where would the discussion be?  ^v^)

Kami-Tux

hmmmmmm, lemme try to catch one for ya, brb!

Here:

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

WAI!!!  You seem to have your hands on a Mac, or at least access to one, I take it.  ^__^

Kami-Tux

what good is editing the last post if someone posts later... :P

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

...................................................I can see now where the OSX-tans take after Unix.... ^^;

Iyaaaaa, that's horrible...  ;__;
Now we can't say that the Macs have a cuter death screen than windows. ;___;

(Although if it's anything like the Guru Meditation, then it's at least useful to those who can read it.  ^^;)