Main Menu

Gunz

Started by SleepyD, January 22, 2007, 08:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepyD

lol, ok, anyhoo from the Introduction to Anime thread:
Quote from: "CaptBrenden"you gotta love a little girl that favors the FN P-90.. i loge that gun :D
Quote from: "SleepyD"well you got me there, the FN P90 pwns.  I fell in love with the thing before I even knew what it was called when I watched that first ep.

But I still like how they use some of the older weapons.  (Like Triela's Model 1897 Trench Shotgun)  ....Did she ever fire that? o_O
Quote from: "CaptBrenden"well im a big fan of shotguns too.. i carried one in araq with a bandolier of shells.. but the P-90 is hands down the coolest sub machine gun out there.. even if it does us a weird round size.  I got a full metal airsoft one on order!
Quote from: "Myrdin"What the hell? A full metal P90? The real one has an almost entirely polymer receiver.
The ammo it uses isn't wierd at all. The 7.62x25 Tokarev cartridge is a similar design and it's well over 60 years old. I personally think the 5.7 is based on the 7.62 Tok but don't care enough to confirm it. The P90 is a great design but it has some funky ergonomics. Some people just never get the hang of it. The magazines are also not good for field use; if bumped too hard they eject all the bullets.

Does the L22A2 count as an SMG? If so, that's my favorite.

Now, I don't know much about firearms really, apart from their construction.  And having never fired one, nor even knowing how to properly shoot one, I can't say I should be a reliable source of information.
Having said that,
in the P90s defense, to quote David Crane from defensereview.com
QuoteIt should be noted that the rumor about the FN P90's magazine (that the ammo can get jumbled up inside the magazine, if the magazine is partially loaded and the weapon is dropped, or if the partially-loaded magazine dropped by itself, and hits the ground hard enough) is, so far, unsubstantiated.

As for the L22A2.... If you think an M4 Carbine is a submachine gun then....
(That's what it is, right? a carbine?)

CaptBrenden

the M4 is just a cabien rifle, sub machine fun would be like a MP 5
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

SleepyD

right, so that would put it in... assault rifles? or would you consider carbines in a separate category/sub-category?

I didn't think it would be a submachine gun

Then again classifying all these guns seems a tad pointless to me

Myrdin

Although the L22 does have the same length barrel as the M4 carbine it is about a third shorter overall. It also fills the same role previously held by SMG's; A compact weapon for storing and/or fighting in confined spaces and as a PDW. So, some would consider it a SMG and some would consider it... something else. Then again, five minutes with the L22 and a parts set and you can have a full-sized L85A2. It's worth noting that a few arms makers have begun classifying compact rifles as sub-machine guns. The distinctions are anything but clear now.

As for the P90, I've had to deal with messed up magazines during a firing trial. However, I'm no stranger to the exaggerations of the rumor mill (my favorite current service rifle is the SA80). The problems I experienced could be early-run teething issues that have since been rectified.
Or David Crane might simply have neglected to do his research.

Edit: I should clarify.
The problems I had were not that the inside of the magazine got jumbled, like David's quote implied. When bumped, the ammo would fly OUT of the magazine.

CaptBrenden

carbine literaly just means a shorter version of something.  An M4 is a shorter version of the M 16 series.  The m 16 is a rifle.  after the A-1 it lost its fully auto feature (not that it was any good with the small ass mags they used to have) and replaced it with a 3 round burst.  Hardly what I would call a sub machine gun.

Myrdin

I would not ever call an M4 a submachine gun. It is used as an assault rifle in every sense of the word.

Carbine is another word open to interpretation. In WW2 some "Carbine" models were actually LONGER than the original design.

CaptBrenden

Interesting. I love weapons but my knowlage is limited to what ive used and a little more.  I worked in a marine corps armory.. but we use very out dated and limited gear

Myrdin

Ok, I'm going to post just a few of my favorite guns up here. Say what you think they are. Correct answers will be rewarded with a boring soliloquoy about how awesome they are.

CaptBrenden

oy.. why would you want that last one?  thats that peice or crap the brits use right? even they hate it.  I also dont like where the charging handle is, you have to to take your shooting hand off of the pistol grip to charge it.

Myrdin

I can't understand why people hate those so much.

That gun pictured was made by H&K. It's more reliable than an M16, more accurate, more compact, better range, and loved by it's users. Yet  everyone outside of the British military thinks it's a POS. The M16 was apallingly unreliable when it was introduced. Countless KIA's were attributed to it's failure to function but nowadays it's regarded as a great weapon(not by me).

Urgh. I do tend to babble on when it comes to military technology.

Edit: Ok, I looked up the history. It seems the original versions made 20 years ago, before GB bought HK, had manufacturing defects. They've been improved since then and no one bothered to inform the rumor mill.

Laevatein

Not sure on the first two, and the third I think is a Kar98.

The 4th would be the LMG version of the L85 assult rifle (distinguishable by the lengthened barrel and bipod), don't remember the exact model number though.

And both the L85 and M16 were plagued by improper care and maintenance when they were introduced in their respective countries, leading to their initial reputations of unreliability.

-War is hell, and I mean to make it so. - William Tecumseh Sherman

CaptBrenden

This is my british buddy,  he let me play with his rifle quite a bit, but he hated the thing.   I concur.

Tho I do like H&K.  I got some high quality mags for my M16 made by them.  far better then the POS mags they issue us.  But I honestly like the M 16 series rifles.  Yes the originals were shitty,  but they have been modified and adapted quite a bit now.  I never had a problem with mine. It defended my life in combat and I could rely on it to fire when i needed it, and I knew what I aimed at I would hit.  Im a 3rd award expert with it, and even at the 500 yard line with iron sights I hit 10 out of 10.  Personaly Id rather have an M4 if I had to carry a rifle tho.. we dont really engage things at 500 yards anymore.. most engagements are less the 100.  But then again I carried a Benelli 1014 for part of it, the other with a mossberg M500.  Im a shotgun sort myself.  easier to clear rooms when less aiming is required  to put baddies down fast

SleepyD

judging from all the guns Myrdin has been posting, I'm inclined to believe that the third is a Lee-Enfield rifle. ^^

and H&K has some sweet lookin stuff. Can't really say much other than looks tho. ^^;;

CaptBrenden

well like I said before, I love guns, but i can only tell you what I know from personal expereience.  Ive still a bit to learn on some things.  But like I said, from the cross training ive recived, I prefer my good old M16 series rifle

Myrdin

I recognize him!!! Can't say where from, though. Is he normally stationed at Salisbury Plain? I go through there a lot.

SleepyD is partly right. It's a Lee-Enfield No4 Mk1 rifle.
But not just any Lee-Enfield No4 Mk1. It's a Mk1(T). The uber-1337 snipz0r variant. It has the wonky charactaristic of becoming more accurate with range. For example, you might shoot a one inch grouping at 100 meters, and then get another 1 inch grouping at 150 meters! I just have a fondness for the Enfield rear locking lug, cock on close action. Arguably the most reliable rifle ever AND the fastest cycling bolt-action rifle ever. EVER! Unlike a Mauser 1898 design(another excellent bolt rifle) the locking lugs can be cleared just by sweeping a finger across the lug.