Main Menu

On this day, in 1988....

Started by MisterCat, December 21, 2006, 05:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterCat

Clipper Maid of the Seas, Boeing 747-121, N739PA

Please click on image to view larger-sized copy.

May all who flew aboard her that evening of 21st December, 1988, rest in peace.

:(

=^..^=

NewYinzer

I was too young to have a memory of the accident, but it ruined Pan Am. To think that they were almost back to fiscal solvency after bad managers, an unforgiving government, poor route structure, a series of accidents, and poor decision making. Though Plaskett was no Stephen Wolf, Pan Am would have turned out better if the bomb hadn't gone off. The terrorist attacks and skygod management ruined an American symbol. Is any of this making sense to anyone? Nevertheless, my heart goes out to the victims of a great aviation tragedy.

Silentbob

Yeah, I remember seeing that on the news back then.   Sad day.  :(

SleepyD

I was a good 7 months old.

But having read about it before... A sad day indeed.

CaptBrenden

I dont think anyone understands the terrorist mindset exept the terrorists themselves...

Truely tragic to be sure. There will be a moment of silence to for them tonight
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

MisterCat

Yes, I agree completely:  The mind-set of those who engage in terrorist activities is beyond my comprehension.  Terrorism itself has been around for millennia and I doubt it'll go away anytime soon, no matter what resources are thrown into fighting against it.

What I recall about the Lockerbie air disaster is the awfulness of human suffering, of which there was considerable during the two minutes it took for the victims to reach the ground.  I'm still amazed two people (a female flight attendant and a male passenger) survived the explosion and crash, only to die shortly thereafter on the ground at Lockerbie before emergency services arrived on scene.

One can only marvel at the maximum effort made by medical personnel and the U.K.'s smallest police force, the Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary, in courageously reacting to a tragedy which was surely beyond anyone's experience.  The citizenry of Lockerbie, too, rose to the occasion in a magnificent manner.

These are the things I think of, when that catastrophe comes to mind.  Conspiracy theories and the like, the ensuing trial at Kamp Zeist ââ,¬â€ all pale, in my mind, in the face of the horrible scenes of death and destruction into which people intent upon rescue went unhesitatingly.

:(

=^..^=

CaptBrenden

-_- its ..... strange to see how people react in the face of such things.  

But yes... what modern medical aid can do astounds me.. injurys that I cant help but think its hopeless when looking at them.. and yet somehow the medical personel manage to pull of nothing short of a mircle.. and it happens more ofthen then you would think.  My hat is deffintly off for anyone serving in any form of emergency aid now or ever.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.