Main Menu

FoodGirls Food-Tans

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, December 12, 2006, 04:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silentbob

In Norway the army MREs were called "Dead man in a can".  (The meals used to come in a can). :p

MisterCat

During my military service I spent a year in a combat zone; and every so often we'd be issued "C Rations" due to food shortages at the (lousy) mess hall.  Actually, they weren't C Rations at all:

QuoteThe "Meal, Combat, Individual," or MCI, replaced C Rations in 1958. The MCI was very similar to the C Rations in concept and packaging but had more nutritionally balanced meals and greater variety. Because of the similarities it was often called "C Rations" even if it was technically a new ration. MCI was the main field ration used during the Vietnam War and was still in service until the 1980s....MCI rations continued in use until replaced by the Meal, Ready to Eat (MRE) in the early 1980s.

There were, in theory, three different menu series; but we always got this one:

Meat.  Either beans and wieners; or spaghetti and meatballs; or beefsteak, potatoes and gravy; or ham and Lima beans; or meatballs and beans.
Crackers (4)
Cheese Spread, Processed.  Either caraway or pimento.
Either Fruit Cake, or Pecan Roll, or Pound Cake
Spoon, Plastic
Salt
Pepper
Coffee, Instant
Sugar
Creamer, Non-dairy
Gum, 2 Chicklets
Cigarettes, 4-pack.  Either Winston, or Marlboro, or Salem, or Pall Mall, or Camel, or Chesterfield, or Kent, or Lucky Strike, or Kool.
Matches, Moisture Resistant
Toilet Paper

We unanimously considered this bill of fare to be superior to anything the mess hall ever served.  It's my view that Air Force mess halls were the worst, Navy the best and Army somewhere in between.  I never ate in a Coast Guard or Marine Corps mess hall, so I can't rate their chow.

:smoke:

=^..^=

CaptBrenden

are you bloody serios?!?!?!  2 deployments by boat and several navalstations later I cant say Ive ever had worse military chow in my life then from the Navy.  Mostly because the seamen are too busy arguing over who has to do what then to care about the food.  

Marine Corps chow isnt very good either.  -_-

However.. Ive eaten at several Airforce and Army chow halls, and they are usually above par.  I mean, relaly above par.  One I would have concidered a resturaunt if you didnt have to wait in line for the food o.o  Plus, the airforce dosent really eat MRE's, they get little lunnch boxes with deli sammiches and gab bags of chips some apple sauce ups and the like.  Everytime I fly airforce we get something like that, or have to wait in on of their staging areas.  and as for army, we fight over who gets to ride Adriver to the army FOBs so we can get a chance to eat at their chow facilitys over ours!

Tho.. a note on the  MREs... Yes, every case comes with a few vegetarian MRES.  They are horrible.  We will have several marines sitting around complaining about how hungery they are, and there will be 6 cases of MREs next to them, with all the meals exept the vegeterian ones eaten. Seriosly.. they are grosse.  If those are open.. its cus someone was picking them over for the skittles or the peanutbutter in them, or needed a spoon.

as for the "kosher" meals... I have never seen one. EVER. Nor heard of them.  A few years ago when that tsunami hit Indonesia, we sat in the belly of the ship opening every last pork MRE and taking out the pork bits before duct taping them back up to give out as disaster relife.  

3 deployment in Iraq handing out food aid.. we simply get a breif as to what meals not go give out.  

I bet they exist.. but Ive never seen them.  Prolly a seriose supply issue
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

MisterCat

Well, Captain, my experience with military food is from 40 years ago; so that's plenty of time for some service branches to get things gastronomically right and for others to get it wrong.  My brother was in the Army during the early 1960s; and his view was that it all depended upon who the mess chief or mess sergeant was:  Some of them gave a damn about the quality of what their men were preparing and how they were preparing it, whilst others did not.

Nowadays, with civilians having a presence in military mess-hall staffing, I've no idea what's what food-wise.  For example, I've heard that the kitchen police (KP) detail has been eliminated for military personnel; but I don't know if that's true for all the armed forces or just a particular branch.

Mind, I hated KP as much as the next guy!  My solution to the problem, whenever I got saddled with KP, was to sleep in and show up at the last minute ââ,¬â€ just to take the pots-and-pans job ââ,¬â€ rather than get to the mess hall early in hopes of signing up for a supposedly "easy" job, like re-filling the milk dispensers.

The bakers and cooks ââ,¬â€ and most of all the mess sergeant ââ,¬â€ left us pots-and-pans guys alone, because we supposedly had the hardest KP job; and they'd give the "easy" job guys a lot of grief.  I'd just slug away with my scouring powder and steel wool in relative peace!

;001

=^..^=

CaptBrenden

Well yeah.. on bases its pretty much now run be civillians, but the quality comes from that the branch, and what they pay for.  

However.. KP as you called it.. has been renamed to Mess duty.  Same thing, diffent name. Just like shell shock became PTSD -_-
However you only get it on ship.. as civilians arnt alowed on ship the cooks might ACTUALLY have to do something.

I had my fill of mess duty too.. and actually i dealed with it pretty much exactly the same.. however I turend the most hated job into the most skate.. in the period of a day.  after 4 months of dishes piled up to the celing filled with caked on food and seamen sitting around taking breaks every 5 minutes and not getting anything done, I colenteered to get off the line to scrub them. God I hated the line.. everyone gives you a look like you killed their kitten when you give the protion your soppose to.  THrough hard work I took care of all the back log, and then washed them as they came in faster then they could bring them too me.. soon I was sitting around like I was on break because there was nothing to do.  I think i got a meritorius mast for that.. and a few days of holiday routine from that...

Xyanide

I strongly agree with Captbrendn, an anime style mascot is one thing but an actual -tan is something completely different.
Tans' personalities and appearance are a huge reference to what they represent, with mascots it's usually a logo or some other thing that can immediately noticed by the way they look. A lot of people seem to be confusing these 2 facts.

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: "CaptBrenden"
as for the "kosher" meals... I have never seen one. EVER. Nor heard of them.  A few years ago when that tsunami hit Indonesia, we sat in the belly of the ship opening every last pork MRE and taking out the pork bits before duct taping them back up to give out as disaster relife.  

3 deployment in Iraq handing out food aid.. we simply get a breif as to what meals not go give out.  

I bet they exist.. but Ive never seen them.  Prolly a seriose supply issue

A rapid google search let me found this:

http://www.jewsingreen.com/home/weblog/comments/kosher_mre_rations/

Seems that american-jew soldiers should purchase pre-cooked meals with reduced prices apart from standard MRE.
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

CaptBrenden

that and the current wave of mass produced tans just seem to make them more cheaply made -_-

thats crazy stuff raffaele, like I said, I may be marines instead of army but ive never even heard of such a thing, and knowing what the logistical train looks like, I dont see them becoming very widly used.

Exa

Quote from: "CaptBrenden"that and the current wave of mass produced tans just seem to make them more cheaply made -_-

I can totally agree with that! Quantity mustn't lower quality! We love Os-tans because they're well created, have nice profiles and look cute! ^_^
I wonder if there are similarly well made up tans nowadays...

MisterCat

Thanks, Captain, for your observations on the mess-hall scene these days!  Truth be told, I ate better when I was in the Air Force than I do now.

;026

Regarding food-tans, maybe there could be a military-service food-tan ââ,¬â€ or one for each branch of the armed forces?  That would be an interesting project!

;012

=^..^=

NewYinzer

Quotethat and the current wave of mass produced tans just seem to make them more cheaply made -_-

Yes! To CaptBrenden you listen! Now that we've got a bunch of new OS-tans, we need stories and profiles for all of them! Once I get some time, I'll work on that in the Wiki...

*goes to work on some stuff*

Xyanide

I'm all for processor tans though ^-^

CaptBrenden

what did you think of the MRE tan idea I came up with?":

MisterCat

Here's the Captain's idea, which I've excerpted just so nobody has to re-read the entire thread to find it:

QuoteTho... Picture this: MRE tan! A girl in drab brown clothes(drab brown MRE bag), maybe dressed in fatuiges/cammies or something because she always out with the troops giving a them a pick me up when they are tired! She also prolly wears alot of clothes, layers and layers of them complaining shes always cold (because MRES are 90 percent of the time eaten cold dispite the included chem heater, and also because MREs are known for exesive amounts of packaging. a package of short bread cookies would be wrapped in sealed pouch inside the main sealed pouch, so effectivly being triple wrapped) Probobly has short almot boyish hair(again due to the lack of pizzaz to the packaging), and come to think of it she would be a tomboy cus shes always out hanging with the guys. Shes small but shes got alot of energy for her size (MREs dispite how little food they have in them volume wise, contain a metric shit ton of calories so keep you going) and loves to help out those in need(cus MREs are often given to disater victims)! Dispite this tho, anyone thats been around her for some time starts to dislike her as he is a little too much to handle for a long time(gah, have you ever had to survive off of MREs for more then a week? Blegh). She also looks very young for her actual age, and people are always shocked when she tells them how old she really is (ive gotten MREs that were over 6 years old before -_-)

I think it's a great idea!  Of course, I've never eaten one of those meals; but if the older rations are anything to go by, I'm sure  MRE-tan would have her bad points as well as her good ones.  I'll bet the gals and guys on active duty would appreciate MRE-tan's persona.

;010

=^..^=

CaptBrenden

If I get a chance I may have to draw her