Are permissions needed?

Started by MisterCat, September 10, 2006, 07:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterCat

I made a few avatars and signature-block graphics to use here, in place of the generic ones I carry with me on my cyberverse journeys.  However, the thought occurred to me that whomever created these renderings might not be pleased should I fail to get her or his permission to use them.

So, what's the deal?  Personally, my view is that anything a person chooses to put on the web is up for grabs; and I know that's contrary to the way many netizens think nowadays ââ,¬â€ but that's just me.  I don't want to offend anyone or cause a ruckus!

Please let me known, oh sages of OS-TAN Forums, if it's the accepted practice to try running down the original artist and asking permission.  If that's the case, I'll just keep the avatar and signature-block grapic I'm using now.  Thank you!

;hi

=^..^=

NewYinzer

Most of the sigs and avatars here have graphics that weren't created by the people on these forums. Anything created about the OS-Tans is usually public domain, but watch out for using anything created by Deja Vu or Netrunner.  The war between Futaba and Deja Vu/Netrunner continues to this day. I have no problem with anything created about the OS-Tans, except I don't like the crossover series with Rozen Maiden. Your sigs and avatars sound fine, but it would be cool to see them.

MisterCat

My philosophy regarding avatars, NewYinzer, involves finding a square image of XP-tan and re-sizing it.  Ta da!  Job done!  Here are the images I'm thinking of using:

My philosophy regarding signature-block graphics involves, as you can see, finding a thin-width image of XP-tan and turning it on its side.  Hey, it's better than nothing! Here are the images I'm thinking of using:

When I have time, later, I'd like to improve my signature block with a more labor-intensive graphic; but I'd rather just get something up there for now.  "Beauty is the purgation of superfluities," according to Michelangelo Buonarroti; and I think he's right!

:smoke:

=^..^=

SleepyD

I guess I'm one of the few exceptions who has an avatar made by yours truly.  

Being in the devART community for a year or two, I do respect other people's art.  I would at least try to find the orginal artist, but that may be easier said than done, particularly with OS-tans.  

However, I highly doubt the original creators of the OS-tans from 2chan would really care. There have been many many derivative works/fanart of the OS-tans, including the H stuff that others would find offensive if it was their own characters.  

It's hard. The original creators may not care, but the ones who drew the fanart might.  So what do I think? Since it's just an avatar/signature, and you're not claiming the art as your own, I believe it's okay.  But if you do find the original artist, by all means, credit him/her.

Ah, seems you posted while i was writing this.  nice images.  ;010

MisterCat

Thanks, SleepyD, for your thoughtful advice.  I'm glad you like the images!  I hate cropping images, because to me it's altering the art; hence I narrowed my choices to whatever square images I could find for the avatars and whatever svelte images I could find to tip over for a signature-block graphic.

What I think I'll do is wait a few more days, just to see if anyone else weighs in on the matter.  With the usual run of luck, right after my switching over to XP-tan stuff, somebody would show up all jacked out of shape because I'd used an image made by their second cousin in Darkest Idaho and I hadn't received written permission ââ,¬â€ or something.

;026

=^..^=

SleepyD

I think cropping images is a form of alteration as well. ^^

And in any case, from what I've seen, if someone complains about it, usually all you have to do is just take the image down (or even keep it as long as you credit the creator), apologize, and that would be it.  (Unless you're quite unlucky and get a really angry artist with a lawyer on your case...)

CaptBrenden

also, make sure it fits the banner guidlines laid down by Linix-tan
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Alfamille

QuoteQuote from : MisterCat

I made a few avatars and signature-block graphics to use here, in place of the generic ones I carry with me on my cyberverse journeys.  However, the thought occurred to me that whomever created these renderings might not be pleased should I fail to get her or his permission to use them.

So, what's the deal?  Personally, my view is that anything a person chooses to put on the web is up for grabs; and I know that's contrary to the way many netizens think nowadays ââ,¬â€ but that's just me.  I don't want to offend anyone or cause a ruckus!

Please let me known, oh sages of OS-TAN Forums, if it's the accepted practice to try running down the original artist and asking permission.  If that's the case, I'll just keep the avatar and signature-block grapic I'm using now.  Thank you!

;hi

=^..^=

Here's the thing my freind;

Whenever you got those picture from Nijiura or 2chan or other websites and post it here or in your webpage or wherever place you wanna post it in, that's no problem. You can even collect as much as you want.

But never claim something that you didn't make...

Very good example is the Netrunner issue; the May 2004 issue of Netrunner was bundled with a set of trading cards, depicting (among others) many original characters from Futaba-including ME-tan. As this was done without permission from the original designer of ME-tan, many people became angry with Netrunner, and the designer of ME-tan announced that it will never grant permission to use any of its work to anyone related to Netrunner.

If only those trading cards have a message maybe saying "The OS-tans and other related characters was originally made by Toshiaki and other Futaba artist. Visit 2chan.net for more info"....but of course there's no such thing labeled on those cards....

None of those would've happened seriously.....if only they wouldn't steal the recognition and proclaim themselves as the original makers of it.

What I'm getting at is....go on and create those signatures and avatars if you want to...you can even put a mark which says "made by Mistercat"....that's cool, thats not bad....It only says that you made the signature...not the characters in it.

Now their are our own artist in this forum. I also advice you not to be pressured on copyright issue. For example, if you made an ME-tan sketch and say you made it, thats not bad. What's bad is that you proclaim yourself as the one who gave the idea of an ME-tan or the OS-tans.

So go on MisterCat.... ;003

MisterCat

Thanks, SleepyD and CaptBrenden, for your input.  After knocking on doors and asking passers-by, I managed to locate the thread pertaining to signature blocks:  OS-TAN Forums :: View topic - standards.

So, the dimensional limits are 500 pixels in width and 200 pixels in height.  I shall act accordingly!

;003

Alfamille, I appreciate your pointers as well as your explanation of that ongoing punch-up regarding ME-tan.  For artists, the parties involved in that dispute seem to know less about perspective than one would expect!

;012

I've just been handed a memorandum from my Paranoia Department, asking that I say a few words regarding nomenclature.  All right, see, here's the thing:  When I say something like "I've made an avatar," all that means is I've come up with something which fits in that little square space.

No way does it mean I'm claiming to have created whatever graphics end up in there.  The same goes for signature-block graphics:  I'm not an artist, so all I do in "making" a signature block is hunt down some picture I want to put there.

Finally, let me say that the most important thing I've learned from this thread is [Please turn to Page 32.]

;018

=^..^=

C-Chan

Yo Mistercat.  ^__^

Ditto on everything else my friends here have responded to you with, plus as an aside I should mention that a good majority of artists on Nijura/Futaba seem to post anonymously.  What I wouldn't give to know the name of the artist who created Windows 95 OSR 2.5-tan....  But sadly, his/her name doesn't even appear in Japanese on any of his/her comic strips.  ;___;

Love the detail on these pictures, but should I point that after ranting a little about voluminous breast sizes, you seem to have choosen a particular voluminous one for your current avatar.....  @__@'

Oh, the irony.... ^__^'
(Just kidding, BTW.)

To me, your signature brings back memories of my days in the other OS-tan forum.....  *sigh*  Ã,¯vÃ,¯

MisterCat

Indeed, C-Chan, as it happens it's difficult to find a square-format image of XP-tan which is not inclusive of her breasts.  How we suffer for the sake of art!

You know, I don't mind the size of XP-tan's breasts in this present avatar; but it's those renderings where she's given breasts as large as barrage balloons, which make me look for the nearest barf bag.  Many fan artists were similarly fixated upon impossibly-huge breasts when it came to depictions of my favorite Games Girl, Tiffany "Tifa" Lockhart of Final Fantasy VII fame.

o_o

=^..^=

C-Chan

Ah yes, the Zeppelin Tifa.  I remember that.  ^__^

As a fellow Tifa fan, though, I do declare that you have excellent taste.  ^.^
Similarly, she too still stands as my favorite Final Fantasy heroine of all time (couldn't really attach to characters before, and characters after always had a little something lacking....).  I am keeping a close eye on FF XIII, as the heroine in that one has potential....  -v-

*stares at MisterCat's avatar*

*suddenly thinks of trampolines*

*shakes head*  Hehe,... never mind.  Just a pig being silly here....  -v-;

NewYinzer

C-Chan

Yes, I saw!

*leaps toward Newyinzer*

THANK YOU, NEWYINZER-DONO!!!!!!! ;^0^;

*hugs*

I know I promised you I'd be your slave, but I'm sorta busy with 1.0-tan and the move (to a new thread).  -v-

So let me offer my stand-in for a while:  ^.^

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/C-Chan_2006/Win2.png

C-Chan added the following  1 minute after last message :

*pops open glass bottle of orange juice and chugs down*

A toast!  To Windows 95 OSR 2.5-sama!  May she never get evicted from Wikipedia!  ^v^

*chugs down some more*