Post your desktop

Started by Q4(V), March 20, 2006, 11:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Aurora Borealis

Some Classic Mac goodness I'm seeing here! :)

For my first semester of college, most of my papers were typed up in Mac Write 5.0 running under Macintosh System 6.0.8, which was in turn running under Mini vMac.  I had to transfer the files to OSX by opening the disk image I saved the files in to. Part of that was because Mac Write had a page count and Text Edit (OSX's word processor) doesn't (or at least not by default?), though mainly because System 6 is still great to work with. :D

@Canary: Is that System 7-tan drawing finished? :-P I like playing around with that background maker in the Control Panel.

@Bella: How did you get those widgets to be on the desktop at all times? Is that a Snow Leopard-only feature, but I can't seem to find it.

CanaryTan

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on March 22, 2011, 08:53:52 PM
@Canary: Is that System 7-tan drawing finished? :-P I like playing around with that background maker in the Control Panel.

Oh yeah it is, i keep meaning to post it. I'll PM it to you if you like.
I kinda made Sys7-tan look cutesey xD
I'm not kidding. I have all teh animal crossing games and play them everyday.
My profile pic is from deviant art. It's not mine.

Krizonar

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on March 22, 2011, 08:53:52 PM

@Bella: How did you get those widgets to be on the desktop at all times? Is that a Snow Leopard-only feature, but I can't seem to find it.
http://www.mac-help.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363
10.4 and up :) it's dashboard dev mode.

Bella

That is so awesome that you used Mac Write and System 6 to write your papers, Aurora. ^^

I wish I could acquire System 6 images/get it running in Mini vMac... how I can get 50-year-old big iron emulator going and can't make sense of Mini vMac will forever baffle me. -.-

As for widgets on your desktop:
1) Make sure your account has admin privileges
2) Copy/paste this into your Terminal:

Quotedefaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES

3) Open up Dashboard, click and hold down on a widget, then close Dashboard. The widget will appear on your desktop.

Chocofreak13

@bell: what is that adorable catgirl? *w*
click to make it bigger

Bella

That adorable catgirl is Tiger-tan. owo

stewartsage

What's with the license plate?  ....and can it be had for the Windows sidebar?

CanaryTan

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on March 23, 2011, 05:34:25 AM
What's with the license plate?  ....and can it be had for the Windows sidebar?

It's just a strange little widget I found... since I got it from the Apple site, I doubt there's a windows version...

You can't customize the plates, there's one for each state and each has a different saying on it. Some are Mac related. Some have references to their respective state. Others just have puns and stuff...

Aurora Borealis

I did manage to get a widget on my desktop, but put it back in the dashboard because it took up too much of my screen.

stewartsage

@the West Virginia Plate: I see what you did there designer.

CanaryTan

I upgraded to system 7.5! ^^

Krizonar

That's what my old Powerbook from '95 runs.

Chocofreak13

@kriz: kickass desktop. 8)
@bells: i meant, "what's the application that allows you to have adorable catgirl on your desktop?"

click to make it bigger