Post your desktop

Started by Q4(V), March 20, 2006, 11:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterCat

All right, brouge, be that way.  If it'll make you happy, I'll call off my visit to NERV and the series can go ahead the way it's already been done.  Just don't expect me to write Shinji any letters of recommendation.

;014

Seriously, though, my objection to these boy lead characters is that they're given (in my view) too much exposure at the expense of female characters who are invariably more interesting.  Plus, whenever the going gets tough for a female character she's depicted as eventually being helpless; and it's those selfsame boys who are then made to ride to the rescue.

If the people who produce anime series would lose their boy-hero fixation and let female characters go ahead and save the day at least half the time, I'd be much happier about the whole thing.  So it's no so much Shinji himself but rather the producers' dogmatic clichés, to which I object.

;hi

=^..^=

brougeXP22

lol japanese are kinda sexist don't ya know? of course the guy gets more exposure but there are exceptions. those are:

Ai from Ai Yori Aoshi
Usagi/Rei/Minako/Makoto/Ami from Salior Moon
Chi from Chobits
Hakufu from Battle Vixens/Ikki Tousen
Mai from Mai-Hime

plus others...

but i do understand your point about interesting female characters being ignored or shown as helpless. It gets kinda annoying, doesn't it?

C-Chan

I'm feeling a vague sense of deja vu here,...  ^v^'

But again, while that was very true in the past, still true in some present circles, and certainly true with a lot of non-japanese productions (where for some reason strong women have to = smartasses, no exceptions), a lot has changed in the Anime world since at least the latter half of the 1990's.  

Thanks to shifting cultural paradigms, we now have gems such as the Slayers series, the Banner of the Stars series, the Read or Die tv series, and the Ghost in the Shell tv series that actually make the case to respect and admire strong female characters, regardless of whether they're accompanied by males or not.  Often an Anime or a live movie simply throws in a strong woman just for comedy, originality or polical correctness, hence inevitably making the attempt fall flat (and in need of rescuing by the ubiquitous boy hero).

Naturally, Miyazaki-san has always been WAY ahead of the curve on this issue, hence why Nausicaa was considered such a revolutionary character both in Japan and abroad.

C-Chan added the following  43 seconds after last message :

Oh, and the screencap of my SUSE desktop will have to wait.  ^__^'

Donated her monitor for the greater glory of Unix-sama.... ^.^'

brougeXP22

NewYinzer

QuoteNaturally, Miyazaki-san has always been WAY ahead of the curve on this issue, hence why Nausicaa was considered such a revolutionary character both in Japan and abroad.

*Opens Bottle of S. Pellegrino*
Hear hear!
*Toasts glass*
BTW, what is Neon Genesis Evangelion?
*shots fired*
Mysterious E: I am E! Goddess of Anime/Manga Knowledge! Eat lead, slacker!
*shots fired*

C-Chan

Quote from: "brougeXP22"Ewwwww...Unix-bozu ;022

Heh.... That borders on heresy, but I guess we can let that slide since she is, in fact, young-looking....  `v'

But once you're in the presence of the Goddess, and Mother of all Modern OS-tans, call her that at your own peril.

Meanwhile, I'll be sure to back off well away of the blast radius...  ^-^

*backs off very quickly*

NewYinzer

Uhh...I'm okay. I'm in Dilspace but okay. The Mysterious E is a crazed Otaku with a vengance against Anime/Manga ignorance and intolerance. If I ask a stupid question, like:
*thinks*
Ecchi? Is that like soy sauce?
*shots fired*
This happens!
*shots fired*

brougeXP22

QuoteUhh...I'm okay. I'm in Dilspace but okay.

Uh does that mean you don't know what -bozu means? if not, then i'll tell you.

the suffix "-bozu" means "kid" and is usually used in a mocking sort of way.

NewYinzer

Cool! I'm Vista! And I'm not in Dilspace! And I know what bozu means! And The Mysterious E is no longer after my blood!
*thinks*
I better test that fact...
*thinks*
The ending to the Mahoromatic Anime was brilliantly done and diehard fans love it!
*waits*

*waits*

*waits*

*shots fired*
Aww...crap!
*shots fired*

MisterCat

I don't want to appear as being too forward, NewYinzer, but could it be you're experiencing an emergency?  I'd be glad to help, if you think my assistance might of use.

For example, I've several dull kitchen knives which in spite of their inability to cut through vegetables in the manner of their youth are nevertheless formidable when presented as daggers.  Also, I've a hammer ââ,¬â€ the one I keep in full view of my computing-system's monitor screen as a psychological deterrent to cyber-thoughts of blue screens ââ,¬â€ which would serve well as a club at close range.

The mere idea of shots being fired causes me to think of words such as "bad," "hurt," et cetera!  So if you're in need of support in the face of these attacks from that E personage you've mentioned, please let me know so I can hide under the bed come riding to the rescue in the traditional anime manner of an annoying middle-school student (which I'm not ââ,¬â€ a middle-school student, that is).

;hi

=^..^=

NewYinzer

Don't worry, I've got a plan.
*Runs off to the YinzerCave*
This should work perfectly!
*Climbs in giant mecha*
Shock and awe, E! Shock and awe!

brougeXP22

yay! *hops in liger zero* WHO WANTS SOME?!?!

Ultimaninja

I do...as long as I can question the fabric of reality, I can manipulate it to work as I see fit. (Sense reality is only in the perspective you have.)
I will take you both down with my legendary dragon Uthantion!!!

btw, I had to delete my real name because if you knew it would compromise my security clearance and all of you (and possible the site) would have to go down for...national well-being...

brougeXP22

NewYinzer

Quotebtw, I had to delete my real name because if you knew it would compromise my security clearance and all of you (and possible the site) would have to go down for...national well-being...

Nice drawing! I agree, there is a reason for not using your real name! In certain circumstances, I will give the name of an anime character!