Aurora's got an OS-tan art thread! Wait... what?!

Started by Aurora Borealis, September 01, 2006, 10:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Swoonage Fest continues unabated, I see. ^__^
I'm envious, although I might get something finished this weekend finally.  ^.^

I think we have all the girls accounted for.  ^__^
OpenBSD-tan has a much needed infusion of Moe (and she gets her realy tall stature confirmed), and MidnightBSD-tan looks unusually genki for someone of her temperment (unless she's making fun of something.  ^.^'

Pre-Teen(?) Inferno-chan is cute as a pumpkin (but her fireproof dress is damn cool), and same goes for OliveBSD-tan besides her who has an almost addictive charm.

I see there's definitely no objecction to DragonflyBSD-tan's color scheme, so guess you liked it.  ^^'
I'm starting to have second thoughts, but maybe if you could show a bit more of the green side of her dress shirt I think it'll do it.  ^^

And nothing for love for the poster of Miggy!  I might just join in the collective drooling. ^____^

*stares at Octopus-chan*

*stares at Inferno-chan*

*blinks*

Must be a generational thing.  ^^'

Bella

*EXPLODES after seeing Aurora-sama's USG and Kolibre-tan, and C-Chan's Xenix-sama/PCDOS/MSDOS/Win1.0-tan picture*

Sorry I can't write very much now...I have to come up with a good response!

*ponders*

Aurora Borealis

Kinda random, but here's a new character: DexOS-tan!

DexOS is free and open source, written entirely in assembly language, is modern, easily customizable and has a really cool and futuristic game console-like GUI but is still small enough to boot from a floppy disk! It also has a command line interface and can run on DOS, DOSbox and the Xbox. Other GUI themes on DexOS are a simple green+silver combo and another one known as the "Dextop" which looks like a simple version of XP's GUI.

info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DexOS

DexOS-tan is a robot girl and clearly is so as DexOS is highly customizable and all parts of DexOS are replaceable and she can even upgrade herself (i.e: swap her standard attenae for ones that fire lasers! She doesn't like fighting but such weapons could come in handy). She is extremely fast and despite being modern, she is always confined to single tasking and has no virtual memory. She is very friendly, playful and loves to play videogames.

Her helmet and ant-like skirt are references to DexOS's mascot.

For affiliation, she is most likely a wanderer, and for her height... I have no idea! ^^;

C-Chan

QuoteDexOS is free and open source, written entirely in assembly language, is modern, easily customizable and has a really cool and futuristic game console-like GUI but is still small enough to boot from a floppy disk! It also has a command line interface and can run on DOS, DOSbox and the Xbox. Other GUI themes on DexOS are a simple green+silver combo and another one known as the "Dextop" which looks like a simple version of XP's GUI.

Wow!  That is random.  @v@

It's kinda like how the other day I got acquainted with an uber-minimalist system called LosetheOS, and this one which just begs to be chibified:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChibiOS/RT

The console look is pretty nifty, and her design does strike me as kind of Bladerunner/Matrix inspired.  ^^
And if she can fit in a floppy, that probably makes her Minix-sized.  -v-

QuoteDexOS-tan is a robot girl and clearly is so as DexOS is highly customizable and all parts of DexOS are replaceable and she can even upgrade herself (i.e: swap her standard attenae for ones that fire lasers! She doesn't like fighting but such weapons could come in handy). She is extremely fast and despite being modern, she is always confined to single tasking and has no virtual memory. She is very friendly, playful and loves to play videogames.

Her helmet and ant-like skirt are references to DexOS's mascot.

For affiliation, she is most likely a wanderer, and for her height... I have no idea! ^^;

Definitely a small one, for sure.  The ant aspect is another dead giveaway.  ^__^

Physically, she'd be great friends with Mac System 6-tan, but personality-wise you probably wouldn't be able to pry her off C64-chan.  Given her fun-loving nature and all the friends she might have everywhere, I don't think she'd want to be anything BUT a Wanderer.  ^^;

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: "C-Chan"
Wow!  That is random.  @v@

It's kinda like how the other day I got acquainted with an uber-minimalist system called LosetheOS, and this one which just begs to be chibified:

Interesting! Sadly, I can't find any screenshots or logos though so I have no idea for the color scheme, but I know of the perfect anime character inspiration for her design though... Chibichibi from "Sailor Moon"! :D

Definitely a small one, for sure.  The ant aspect is another dead giveaway.  ^__^
Okay then! But, how short? I'll start the bid at 90 cm. Too high? Too low? Just right?

Physically, she'd be great friends with Mac System 6-tan but personality-wise you probably wouldn't be able to pry her off C64-chan.  Given her fun-loving nature and all the friends she might have everywhere, I don't think she'd want to be anything BUT a Wanderer.  ^^;
I wondered if all that was plausible, and I approve!

Another friend of DexOS-tan's is Xebian-tan who loves videogames as much as she does! I have a preconcept of Xebian-tan in the works and although I haven't sketched her yet, she'd resemble Debian-tan but with a cyberpunk look and wears mostly green+black.

NejinOniwa

QuoteOkay then! But, how short? I'll start the bid at 90 cm. Too high? Too low? Just right?
I bid 60, but with antennae long enough to make it a meter!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

C-Chan

Interesting! Sadly, I can't find any screenshots or logos though so I have no idea for the color scheme, but I know of the perfect anime character inspiration for her design though... Chibichibi from "Sailor Moon"!

You can't get a more appropriate character base than that.  ^.^

Now if we could somehow rename "Pink Sugar Heart Attack" to something a little less unnerving.  ^^;

Don't worry about appearances as that's never stopped us before.  Remember how Siya-san literally invented a design for GMOS out of virtually nothing other than that she was OLD and also from General Motors.  ^.^

QuoteOkay then! But, how short? I'll start the bid at 90 cm. Too high? Too low? Just right?

Agree with Nejin-san.  60cm is about Minix-sensei's size -- plus her HUGE antennae could be extended upward to cheat a little.  I finished watching Pani Poni Dash a few weeks ago, so I have a horde of midget jokes she would probably be the butt end of.  Doubt she'd be the type to quiver behind a curtain uttering "hau hau", but I'm sure something funny and/or cute could come out of it.

Another friend of DexOS-tan's is Xebian-tan who loves videogames as much as she does! I have a preconcept of Xebian-tan in the works and although I haven't sketched her yet, she'd resemble Debian-tan but with a cyberpunk look and wears mostly green+black.

In that case, there's probably a ton of other game console Linux-tans that will probably be fascinated by the little ant girl (Yellow Dog Linux, for instance, Wii Linux for sure... ^.^).  Anyone who doesn't mind the extremely limited DexOS will have a field day with the manic little l33t g4m3r.

The only drawback is that they have to watch where they step around her,... oh, and also hide all the magnifying glasses.

Aurora Borealis

You can't get a more appropriate character base than that.  ^.^
Perfect!

Now if we could somehow rename "Pink Sugar Heart Attack" to something a little less unnerving.  ^^;
Shouldn't they have known not to put "heart" and "attack" right next to each other?  ;026

Don't worry about appearances as that's never stopped us before.  Remember how Siya-san literally invented a design for GMOS out of virtually nothing other than that she was OLD and also from General Motors.  ^.^
Ah yes I remember! Very impressive!

Found some technical details on ChibiOS/RT:

-created on an Atari ST in 1990
-formerly known as mkRTOS
-designed for embedded applications
-"designed to be stable and avoid trouble"
-does not have any arrays or tables, no memory allocation (it is not needed), no weird programming (all code should look and feel like normal C code)
-kernel is 1.5-6 KB
-unlimited number of threads, virtual timers, semaphores, mutexes, event sources, messages in queue and unlimited number of I/O queues (or as much as memory will allow)

She would of course be extremely short and have her hair in pigtails and her outfit has a 'stealth' look to it. She does nearly all of her work in secrecy and is a no-nonsense person highly avoidant of conflict.

And that ChibiOS/RT was first created on an AtariST... let's say that early in ChibiOS/RT-tan's life, AtariTOS-tan did something really nice for her and ChibiOS/RT-tan has been grateful ever since.

I bid 60, but with antennae long enough to make it a meter!

Agree with Nejin-san.  60cm is about Minix-sensei's size -- plus her HUGE antennae could be extended upward to cheat a little.  I finished watching Pani Poni Dash a few weeks ago, so I have a horde of midget jokes she would probably be the butt end of.  Doubt she'd be the type to quiver behind a curtain uttering "hau hau", but I'm sure something funny and/or cute could come out of it.
60 cm?! I was surprised by that at first, but her being ant girl, that seems reasonable! (KolibriOS-tan is also short because she is a hummingbird girl. 140 cm seems reasonable for her?)

Besides, DexOS-tan has those huge antennae and platform boots that allow her to cheat and claim that she is over 1 meter tall! Just be careful where you step! :D

In that case, there's probably a ton of other game console Linux-tans that will probably be fascinated by the little ant girl (Yellow Dog Linux, for instance, Wii Linux for sure... ^.^).  Anyone who doesn't mind the extremely limited DexOS will have a field day with the manic little l33t g4m3r.
Wait a minute... There's a Wii Linux?! Heheheh.. Too bad that Xebian-tan, Wii Linux-tan and Yellow Dog Linux-tan are likely all rivals but that could make things more interesting!

The only drawback is that they have to watch where they step around her,... oh, and also hide all the magnifying glasses.
Hahahaha! Makes me want to add that she is afraid of magnifying glasses (and she carries around an ant farm)

NejinOniwa

QuoteI finished watching Pani Poni Dash a few weeks ago, so I have a horde of midget jokes she would probably be the butt end of. Doubt she'd be the type to quiver behind a curtain uttering "hau hau", but I'm sure something funny and/or cute could come out of it.
OH YOU, SEMPAI, OH YOU. =W=

If we weren't actually opposed to making it all a huge ripoff I wouldn't hesitate to slob some Maho~ over her, CONSTANTLY.

MEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE.

Bella

I gotta come back to post more here, but this caught my eye:

QuoteWow! That is random. @v@

I kid you fscking not, I have a drawing of ChibiOS lying right next to me right now. I did it days ago. I kinda based her on Pinnoko from Black Jack. @___@

C-Chan

QuoteShouldn't they have known not to put "heart" and "attack" right next to each other?  

In fairness, I'm sure "Baka Aho" sounds cool and mysterious too,... except those who speak Japanese and/or watch a lot of Anime.  ^^;

QuoteI kid you fscking not, I have a drawing of ChibiOS lying right next to me right now. I did it days ago. I kinda based her on Pinnoko from Black Jack. @___@

Wow!  Small world, eh?!  ^v^;

Well, when Bella-hime gets settled in, we'll see what she's got.  ^.^
In the meantime, I can probably see Chibi-chan being a fervent AtariTOS-chan follower.  Maybe got inspired by a concert song she heard back in the good ol' days, or it inspired her to persevere during difficult times.

Quote60 cm?! I was surprised by that at first, but her being ant girl, that seems reasonable! (KolibriOS-tan is also short because she is a hummingbird girl. 140 cm seems reasonable for her?)

Yeah, she's small but not TOO small.  That sounds juuuuuuuust right.  ^.^

*goes back to ogle at KolibriOS-tan's picture*

QuoteBesides, DexOS-tan has those huge antennae and platform boots that allow her to cheat and claim that she is over 1 meter tall! Just be careful where you step!  

Boots...?  I don't see no boots....  Just stilts.  @v@

QuoteWait a minute... There's a Wii Linux?! Heheheh.. Too bad that Xebian-tan, Wii Linux-tan and Yellow Dog Linux-tan are likely all rivals but that could make things more interesting!

Sure.  ^.^
It's not like Linux-tans aren't free of internal rivalry -- if anything, there might be more of it since they have to deal with comparatively fewer external threats.  ^____^;

QuoteHahahaha! Makes me want to add that she is afraid of magnifying glasses (and she carries around an ant farm)

Fufu!  At 60cm, the ant farm is probably half as big as she is.  ^.^;
On the other hand, she could be like a Queen to them.  ^___^

QuoteOH YOU, SEMPAI, OH YOU. =W=

If we weren't actually opposed to making it all a huge ripoff I wouldn't hesitate to slob some Maho~ over her, CONSTANTLY.

MAHOU, MAHOU!  ^.^

I love when she uses her cowlick as a helicopter blade, btw.  ^___^

Added after 1 minutes:

Speaking of Anime, I also finished watching and loving Kanon (the 2006 version).  I think of it as what Air could have been had it remembered it had a storyline midway through the series.  ^____^;

It's thanks to my trusty EeePC that I'm able to completely demolish my Anime backlog.

Aurora Borealis

What a coincedence! I would like to see your ChibiOS/RT-tan sketch!
---

Here's a calculator-tan in progress, Commodore Minuteman-tan!

Before Commodore made home computers, they made calculators!

The first calculator that Commodore made was the C110 which was simply the Bowmar 901B licensed under the Commodore name. One of the first (if not the first) calculators that Commodore actually designed was the Minuteman 1, released in 1972 which makes Minuteman-tan the oldest of the (known) Commodore-tans.

http://www.datamath.org/Related/Commodore/Minuteman_1.htm

She wears what I hope passes as minuteman-style attire. She is tall and slightly chubby for a calculator-tan because the Minuteman 1 and 2 were thick and huge! She is energetic, extroverted, loyal and disciplined but has a very short temper and can easily go berzerk. She represents the Minuteman 1, 2 and 3 (and includes elements from each in her design). Minuteman 6-tan will likely be a separate and very eccentric character because the Minuteman 6 is so different from the MM1, 2 and 3.

Look at the designs of them for reference:
http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/calculator_photo_library_c.html
(page also shows the spectacular variety of calculators Commodore made!)

For her backstory, she was around to teach other Commodore calculator-tans as well as PET-tan and VIC20-tan (and maybe C64-tan) but left afterwards, because she felt like they didn't need her anymore. She did get along with the relatives she met before leaving  but suddenly felt useless and unnecessary, seeing how incredibly successful her computer relatives were. Not sure what her whereabouts would be today though.

NejinOniwa

QuoteSpeaking of Anime, I also finished watching and loving Kanon (the 2006 version). I think of it as what Air could have been had it remembered it had a storyline midway through the series. ^____^;

It's thanks to my trusty EeePC that I'm able to completely demolish my Anime backlog.
Ha! For all your love of Key stuff, just don't get your hopes up for Clannad. It's MEH.

And something's a cooking in Aurora's house...I sense trouble. =W=
I LIEKS.

Bella

First off, I love your USG picture. FreeB-chan is lookin' good, the characters in the background are all very cute...I have to say OliveBSD and Inferno-chan are my faves.

DexOS-tan is very strange, but cool in her own way. I guess the same can be said for DexOS...it has a very strange GUI @__@

I like your ideas for ChibiRTOS; I had some ideas for her attitude and physical looks, but nothing solid...

(don't mind the terrible quality, I snapped off a pic rather than scan it)

Somehow I instantly envisioned her inspiration character to be Pinoko from Black Jack...

I guess both would be very small and child-like, despite being rather old (I think Pinoko is 18 or some years old). And being a RT OS, Chibi-tan would have to be very competent and smart...belying her youthful and cheery attitude.

But hey--we both envisioned her with pigtailsl!

As for Minuteman-tan, she looks tough and appropriately colonial-themed. I just recently saw your calculator-tans in the other thread... they're really neat. I had never thought of making calculator-tans, but what are they but simple computers, huh? ;)

And I never realized Commodore made calculators before they made computers. Thank you for opening my eyes to this otherwise overlooked fact.

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: BellaFirst off, I love your USG picture. FreeB-chan is lookin' good, the characters in the background are all very cute...I have to say OliveBSD and Inferno-chan are my faves.
Thanks! (I still need to finish! >__<)

QuoteI like your ideas for ChibiRTOS; I had some ideas for her attitude and physical looks, but nothing solid...

(don't mind the terrible quality, I snapped off a pic rather than scan it)
Very cute! And it is still of good quality despite not being scanned!

QuoteSomehow I instantly envisioned her inspiration character to be Pinoko from Black Jack...

I guess both would be very small and child-like, despite being rather old (I think Pinoko is 18 or some years old). And being a RT OS, Chibi-tan would have to be very competent and smart...belying her youthful and cheery attitude.
I like that too!

QuoteAs for Minuteman-tan, she looks tough and appropriately colonial-themed. I just recently saw your calculator-tans in the other thread... they're really neat. I had never thought of making calculator-tans, but what are they but simple computers, huh? ;)
So did my attempt at designing a minuteman-style outfit pass? ;012

Shh.. Don't call the calculator-tans "simple computers"! You especially don't want to anger Minuteman-tan! That girl has some bad temper!

QuoteAnd I never realized Commodore made calculators before they made computers. Thank you for opening my eyes to this otherwise overlooked fact.
Even weirder is the Commodore calculators used some parts manufactured by TI, and that TI made a home computer in the early 1980's to compete against the Commodore computers!

TI's home computer, TI-99/4A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_TI-99/4A

---

And here is the DexOS-tan pic, finished!