Vintage Windows-tans & Apple-tans

Started by C-Chan, August 27, 2006, 05:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Turns out NewYinzer's suggestion was great.  Inspiration for a LisaOS-tan struck me like lightning!  ^v^

But in any case, got a little over-budgeted on time so,....

*drum roll*

POST & RUN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!  ^V^

Please welcome Apple ][-tan and Apple Lisa-tan, the definitive pre-Macintoshes,:

<<<NOTE: PICTURE MOVED TO Annex>>>

Apple ][-tan is the elder (though she looks like the youngest), a former revolutionary and currently a natural farmer [dressed in what I hope passes for traditional-style Japanese farm clothes, making her the "Windows 95" of the Apple -tans).  She loves hard work, talks with an accent, and has a friendly, witty and rugged personality that sets her in sharp contrast with her younger sisters.  

Apple Lisa is the next youngest sister in line after ][-tan, and although charming at first, was unintentionally spoiled too much by her very proud company (and a then young ][-tan).  Despite knowing little about menial computer tasks and games, she still would prefer to deal only with the affluent than mingle with the petty "home user" masses.  It was only after Mac-tan arrived -- and her wealth and followers gradually siphoned off to her less discriminating younger sister -- that Lisa-tan's depression began to set in.  Then something happened in 1989 that traumatized her completely, and she has never spoken or functioned normally ever since.

][-tan and the Binteji Renmei members currently take care of her, and she can still perform minor tasks that she used to despise many years ago.  But she's also still stuck in a perpetual state of melancholy, rarely talks and never smiles, preferring instead to express herself through poetry.

Wow, so much for post-and-run....  ^___^
I'll probably reuse some of that in the bios.

In the meantime:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_family
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lisa

And for more on natural farming:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masanobu_Fukuoka

NewYinzer

I like it! Especially the theme that the Apple Lisa is the "Unwanted Bride". $9995 is way to much for a computer, even then. But the Apple ][ was Apple's first success, and looks good! Can't wait to see more new Apple-tans!

*cough*Apple Macintosh*cough*

C-Chan

Thank you NewYinzer!  ^___^
You are the defnitive frontline fan!  ^.^

Guess all that white does make her look like a bride.  It could work both ways, but I personally was leaning more towards "Scrapped Princess" (hence, the pigtails and tiara).  'v'

Apple ][-tan had to be a farmer because she laid the "seeds" for Apple's success.  Plus the ruggedness plays to the fact that she was a very open system (the "apple" of the eyes of many hackers, pun intended), unlike Mac which remains fairly closed to this day).  ^___^

Oh, and FYI....

There's already a Mac-tan, so I'm now officially off the hook as far as Apple -tans go!  `v'

Even weaseled my way out of making an Apple III-tan (check ][-tan's tunic).  

Which reminds me, see if you can spot all the easter eggs I sprinkled across each of the girls.  ^.^

(Here's one that's alluded to but not shown.  The locket on ][=tan's neck contains a black-and-white photo in remembrance of Apple I.)

NewYinzer

I spy with my little eye:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProDOS
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GS/OS
- The new and old Apple logos
- The logos for the many versions of the Apple ][
- The logo for the Apple ///
- ][-tan's pants probably are important, and the staff is probably of some significance, but I can't find anything else.

Kami-Tux

Lisa-tan has a bit too much 'memory'  otherwise they botrh look very good!  ;019

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Fufufu... Excellent work, NewYinzer-dono!  Primary Mission Objective Complete!  The Emperor Will Be Pleased!  ^_'

(If you can get that ultra-obscure reference, say hello to 150 points!  ^.^)

- Point of fact, Apple ][-tan is really just a catch-all for all the REAL operating systems that run under her.  Since I'm too lazy too make a ProDOS-tan, GS/OS-tan, etc, I just thought I'd add them in there as the apples she harvests (and hauls with her everywhere she goes, btw).

- Lisa-tan's basket also holds Apple DOS 3.1, 3.2 & 3.3.  For any other DOSes that I might have missed, just imagine there buried deeper inside the basket.  ^.^'

- I don't like making logos too prominent a feature on my OS-tans.  But I imbedded an old logo very subtly on Lisa-tan cause she DESPERATELY needed some color (too melancholy...... *sniff sniff*...... *C-chan gets depressed*).
I also added an old-logo over ][-tan's Suge-Kasa (Japanese farmer's pointy hat) since I saw in my research that some design element is usually painted over them in Japanese festivals.  I have the hat dangling towards you in the pic to make the logo visible, but usually she straps it behind her back when not in use.
The new logos are coincidental, but an excellent foreshadowing of things to come since so much of her influenced the future Mac-tans.

- Added the logos for all the Apple ][ hardware for the same reason I did the apples,... pure and simple cope out.  Told ya I cheat...!  ^_`
Again, in my research, traditional tunics and shorts/pants usually have repeating decorational patterns on them; by comparison, her tunic's a little too simple and random, but hopefully it gets the point across (besides, Inkscape isn't really good with repeating patterns and transforms, and I was too lazy to touch Photoshop today.  -___-')

- The prominent pattern on her pants consists of an "A" written in the old Motter Tektura font used by old Apple hardware, and an "A" written in Katakana.  The single pattern bordering her belt consists of the kanji word for "apple" repeating four times (should be pronounced "ringo")

- Staff isn't particularly significant.  In fact, it ain't a staff at all -- 'tis a pole fruit picker.  ^__^
A very handy thing to use if you don't want to go through the trouble of picking apples from a ladder.  Besides, Apple ][-tan is so short, she'd probably need to use the pole on a ladder anyway.  ^.^
I just added it to reinforce the fact that's she's a farmer (her specialty, of course, being orchards).  ^__^

-][-tan's kerchief is also on to reinforce the whole farmer thing.  Very good to ensure her hair doesn't get on her Suge-Kasa -- and then transferred on to rice or whatever she might be harvesting.  ^____^

-Both have long blonde hair to denote the Apple ancestry.  (incidentally, the wild variation in the OSX-tans' hair can be forgiven since they all have a little Unix blood mixed in there as well.)  ^__^'

- It's hard to see at this size, but Lisa-tan's dress has some strange black patterns that alludes to some design elements in the LisaOS desktop.  I think the same effect was used on OS9's dress.

- Speaking of which, doesn't Lisa-tan's all-white attire (and long cowlick wisp) remind you of someone?  'v'
The goal was to give her a prototypical Mac-tan look (OS9-tan too, if you count the cowlick), only more elaborate to allude to the fact (as you stated) that she costed nearly 10x times as much as a regular Macintosh.

And I think that's all.  -v-
Now I can rest.... they took A LOT OF ENERGY TO MAKE.......  X___X

*C-chan deflates*

Thankfully, PC-DOS-tan will be simple.......  / o \

NewYinzer

QuotePrimary Mission Objective Complete! The Emperor Will Be Pleased! ^_'

I'm gonna guess...Star Wars?

QuoteThankfully, PC-DOS-tan will be simple....... / o \

I can't wait!

QuoteMotter Tektura
Really? I can't see that small! Anyway, for those who do not know:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_typography#Motter_Tektura

It is truly the motter of them all!

C-Chan

Quote from: "Kami-Tux"Lisa-tan has a bit too much 'memory'  otherwise they botrh look very good!  ;019

Thank you, O Great Penguin God!  ^__^

HAHA!!  Oh yes, I forgot that Easter Egg....!  ^v^

True, her 1 MEG RAM is pitiful by today's standards.  But by golly! Back in her day, those knockers alone were quite an extravagance, and pumped up her chest just as much as her price tag!  She even had the option of being equipped with.... *gasp*

-A mouse!  Egads!  This will be the death of keyboards!

-A 5 Meg hard drive!   Dear GAWDS, 5 MEGS!!!!  How will we ever fill that up?!  ^0^

-A GUI!!  $10,000 USD could get you a sluggish prototypical Mac desktop environment!  ^v^

I figure the memory-influenced "bust size" is supposed to be relative to whatever was out at the time.  Otherwise, 20 years from now, future OS-tan artists would have  to deflate XP-tan considerably, cause after all....

1024 MEGS?!!!  GAH-HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!   WHAT A PITTANCE!!!!  

*future artist draws up washboard chest*

C-Chan added the following  4 minutes after last message :

Quote from: "NewYinzer"I'm gonna guess...Star Wars?

Close enough.... Tie Fighter CD, actually.  2nd Best Space Flight Sim ever -- bested only by its successor, XWING Alliance.  ^.^

Eh,.. I'll give you 75 points then!  ^__^

QuoteI can't wait!

If you're expecting something uber-original, you might be disappointed (she's MS-DOS-tan's twin sister).  For that reason, I'm actually contemplating making another duo.  -v-

Either her paired with DR-DOS or QDOS.

QuoteReally? I can't see that small! Anyway, for those who do not know:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_typography#Motter_Tektura

It is truly the motter of them all!

Haha!!  Good one!!!  ^V^

I'll see if I can post close-ups later on like I did with OS/2-tan.  -v-

Kami-Tux

Quote from: "C-Chan"
I figure the memory-influenced "bust size" is supposed to be relative to whatever was out at the time.  Otherwise, 20 years from now, future OS-tan artists would have  to deflate XP-tan considerably, cause after all....

1024 MEGS?!!!  GAH-HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!   WHAT A PITTANCE!!!!  

*future artist draws up washboard chest*

I thought it WOULD work like that...

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

NewYinzer

QuoteDR-DOS or QDOS
Tim Paterson and Gary Kildall's children.....
.....driven out by Big Bro (Microsoft and IBM).

QuoteI figure the memory-influenced "bust size" is supposed to be relative to whatever was out at the time. Otherwise, 20 years from now, future OS-tan artists would have to deflate XP-tan considerably, cause after all....

Hehe...we've already got a problem with Vis-Tan:
XP's breasts are so big, Vis-Tan's assets to defy...gravity. She'll have to master "The Big-Tittied Loli-Jutsu" before April! I fear what sort of reduction XP-tan will have to incurr after Fiji is released!

C-Chan

*imagines the "The Big-Tittied Loli-Jutsu"*

*mega swoon*  XVX

What's with these weird names for all the prospective M$ products?  Longhorn, Blackcomb, Vienna, Fiji........  What ever happend to just years.....  -___-'

Alfamille

QuoteQuote from : C-Chan

Turns out NewYinzer's suggestion was great.  Inspiration for a LisaOS-tan struck me like lightning!  ^v^

But in any case, got a little over-budgeted on time so,....

*drum roll*

POST & RUN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!  ^V^

Please welcome Apple ][-tan and Apple Lisa-tan, the definitive pre-Macintoshes,:

Apple ][-tan is the elder (though she looks like the youngest), a former revolutionary and currently a natural farmer [dressed in what I hope passes for traditional-style Japanese farm clothes, making her the "Windows 95" of the Apple -tans).  She loves hard work, talks with an accent, and has a friendly, witty and rugged personality that sets her in sharp contrast with her younger sisters.  

Apple Lisa is the next youngest sister in line after ][-tan, and although charming at first, was unintentionally spoiled too much by her very proud company (and a then young ][-tan).  Despite knowing little about menial computer tasks and games, she still would prefer to deal only with the affluent than mingle with the petty "home user" masses.  It was only after Mac-tan arrived -- and her wealth and followers gradually siphoned off to her less discriminating younger sister -- that Lisa-tan's depression began to set in.  Then something happened in 1989 that traumatized her completely, and she has never spoken or functioned normally ever since.

][-tan and the Binteji Renmei members currently take care of her, and she can still perform minor tasks that she used to despise many years ago.  But she's also still stuck in a perpetual state of melancholy, rarely talks and never smiles, preferring instead to express herself through poetry.

Wow, so much for post-and-run....  ^___^
I'll probably reuse some of that in the bios.

In the meantime:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_family
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lisa

And for more on natural farming:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masanobu_Fukuoka

;019 GREAT JOB you got there C-chan!!!

Their looks are really great...not to mention as the logos, the shape, the expression of faces, the outfit, not to mention those lockets and other accessories (very good). As you look at it, what you see is not just an image with characters around, but also a great portrait for the legendary Apple descendants and the current Mac family. (Very great to hang something like this in a wall)

Not only that, but you also great a very good imaginative cultural and social life which exactly remains of those OSes hsitory  ;019

Once again, thanks for the great work C-chan!  ;003

QuoteIt's hard to see at this size, but Lisa-tan's dress has some strange black patterns that alludes to some design elements in the LisaOS desktop. I think the same effect was used on OS9's dress.

- Speaking of which, doesn't Lisa-tan's all-white attire (and long cowlick wisp) remind you of someone? 'v'
The goal was to give her a prototypical Mac-tan look (OS9-tan too, if you count the cowlick), only more elaborate to allude to the fact (as you stated) that she costed nearly 10x times as much as a regular Macintosh.

First thing I noticed when I saw that :) They could look really same coz they have the same hair (without the pigtails of course :P ) Very hot look on "Steve Job's daughter"!

More Paris Hilton concept! ROFL! j/k

NewYinzer

QuoteMore Paris Hilton concept! ROFL! j/k

Hehe...I know what you mean.

On a more serious note, anyone have any ideas for C-Chan's next design?

C-Chan

QuoteTim Paterson and Gary Kildall's children.....
.....driven out by Big Bro (Microsoft and IBM).

Awwww... The way you say it, it makes me want to keep DRDOS and QDOS together.  ;__;
Maybe I will then.... After all, I already scheduled a spot for DRDOS two weeks from now, so we'll see her soon anyway.  -v-

Maybe I'll just pair PC-DOS with PTS-DOS then.  They're both a little on the apathetic side.  -v-

I do want to maintain some level of consistency among the x86 DOS-tans, so I'll try to give each one some variation of a common theme:

-Child Body Types
-Some form of pigtail(s)
-School-girl like attire.
-Eye pieces of some sort.

True, DOS/V and MSX-DOS kind of broke the mold a little, but I can still work with this.
(Besides, MSX-tan could be using lenses and DOS/V strikes me as a black sheep anyway.)

QuoteGREAT JOB you got there C-chan!!!

Their looks are really great...not to mention as the logos, the shape, the expression of faces, the outfit, not to mention those lockets and other accessories (very good). As you look at it, what you see is not just an image with characters around, but also a great portrait for the legendary Apple descendants and the current Mac family. (Very great to hang something like this in a wall)

Thank you very much, Alfamille!  ^V^
When I get that much praise from you, I know I got the Official Apple Seal of Approval in the bag!!  ^__^

BTW, if I can hang their portrait on my wall, I would hope their sisters would do the same.  ^v^

Unlike the relationship between Windows 2.x and her descendants, Apple ][ still maintains close ties with the Mac Family despite the harrowing way in which they separated back in '93.  ^.^

In fact, out of force of habit, ][-tan still sends the Mac girls an allowance every once in a while, even if by now it's barely dirt compared to what they make in sales for a single month.  ^-^
[But hey, it was ][-tan's money that originally paid for their education and fame.  ^_-]

QuoteNot only that, but you also great a very good imaginative cultural and social life which exactly remains of those OSes hsitory  

Once again, thanks for the great work C-chan!  

Thanks again for noting that.  ^__^
Artists are free to draw what they like, but part of the canon OS-tan appeal was that they offered incentives for imitation (95-tan and her katana, Mac-tan and her bombs, XP-tan and her boobs, 2k-tan and her "meganekoness", Me-tan and her freezing, etc.).  In a way it's no different than marketing decisions, so in the interest of propagating all these new OS-tans, I try very hard to make them "marketable" to other artists.

I don't know if this will work or not (ironically, despite my efforts to imitate the style, I doubt these designs will ever carry back into Japan), but at least no one can say I didn't try.  ^___^

Certainly educational....  ^__-

(up till 3 weeks ago, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a "LisaOS".  ^^')

QuoteFirst thing I noticed when I saw that  They could look really same coz they have the same hair (without the pigtails of course :P ) Very hot look on "Steve Job's daughter"!

More Paris Hilton concept! ROFL! j/k

Fufu...!  Oh, so Lisa really WAS named after Steve Job's daughter then....  -v-
I'm celebrity-challenged, so I'm not 100% sure who Paris Hilton is, but I'm hoping it's some famous vixen of some sort.  In that case, arigatou!  ^.^

Ahhhh,... if only you could've known her back in her pride, you could've been her beloved ouji-sama.  ^__^
Now I'm afraid she's too old for you, but she has lots of young sisters that are JUST right for you.  ^.^
And if you love catgirls, you'll have it made!  ^v^

*laughs at silliness of lecturing a Mac-Guru like Alfamille*

QuoteHehe...I know what you mean.

On a more serious note, anyone have any ideas for C-Chan's next design?

So far, the schedule goes like this:

PC-DOS-tan & PTS-DOS-tan
Windows 2.0-tan & Windows 1.0-tan
DR-DOS-tan & QDOS-tan
AtariDOS-tan & AtariTOS-tan  (aka, "Atari 8-bit" & "Atari ST")
FreeDOS-tan & ROM-DOS-tan

After that, I think I'll have everything I need to start my 3rd pic finally (probably won't wait for Amstrad CPC, Xerox Star or BBC Micro).  ^.^

NewYinzer

QuoteWindows 2.0-tan & Windows 1.0-tan

Interesting you mention that.....

QuoteAmstrad CPC, Xerox Star or BBC Micro

Someone who remembers the old Xerox PC's! When I go up to people and talk about Xerox PARC, they're like "Xerox made PC's?"

QuoteI'm celebrity-challenged, so I'm not 100% sure who Paris Hilton is, but I'm hoping it's some famous vixen of some sort. In that case, arigatou! ^.^

I hate to spoil the magic about Paris Hilton, but:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Hilton

QuoteTrue, DOS/V and MSX-DOS kind of broke the mold a little, but I can still work with this.
(Besides, MSX-tan could be using lenses and DOS/V strikes me as a black sheep anyway.)

DOS/V and MSX-DOS are Japanese OSes, so they can follow a different pattern.