What anime are ya watching?

Started by SleepyD, August 25, 2006, 05:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeaflameSD

@Choco: Hmm, fair enough.

stewartsage

LeaflameSD

Megaman NT Warrior episode 6 a few days ago.

Chocofreak13

Gokinjo Monogatari ep 1-3 (and maybe 4, it's a bit of a blur).
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Hey wait a minute!
What happened?
The data is all gone!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

i'm assuming you're quoting something there.

i was mistaken about ep 4 of GM. watching now~
click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, I watched an episode of the English dub of Sword Art Online, and my god is the dub terrible.

This dub could have been a lot better, but it felt like they got the cheapest voice actors possible; as there are some points where they can't even keep in character properly, as you'll find moments where Kirito doesn't even sound like himself, and Asuna sounds like she's 12. When they're making the voice acting in Egoraptor's Girlchan in Paradise (A parody of poorly-dubbed generic shonen anime) look amazing by comparison, there's something wrong.

It's a shame Funimation didn't snatch this one up; it could have been so much more, but as it stands, I'm sticking with the sub.

NejinOniwa

>SAOL
Why watch that crap in any language when you can DATABASE DATABASE LIVIN' IN THE DATABASE

Chocofreak13

*MINION KICK*LANDS ON FACE* TRY AGAIN, MASTER

watched SO MUCH Naruto, One Piece, Soul Eater, and SAO the other day. thinking of torrenting the missing parts of tokimeki tonight since i showed it at the club the other day and it's got me in the mood for something all halloweeny. -w-
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

lel
srsly though, SAOL never really got my attention. To paraphrase a debate on why Log Horizon (which deals with similar themes - 30000 players suddenly caught inside game world etc) is a much better show: SAOL's main character is a RANDOM UNIQUE PLOTDEVICE DUALWIELD HURR I CAN SOLO ALL THE DUNGEONS guy. The anime is like his fucking blog or something, and the others might as well just be NPC's in a single player game. Meanwhile, LH actually manages to be like an MMO in many ways SAOL does not; and besides, the main character is a dedicated support character. He is virtually useless without his teammates.

Oh, and the lack of badly done haremcheese romance plot. But hey.

Chocofreak13

fair enough. in the same way, .hack looks at the other side of the spectrum: in //SIGN, we have a main character who is so self-defeating that he basically fades into the background on plenty of things. while he still maintains focus, Tsukasa is sort of the opposite of a traditional main character: whereas Kite in the later series stepped up, took charge, and saved the day, Tsukasa would prefer to just hide.
it makes for an interesting perspective if you watch all three in succession, along with playing the .hack quartet. if i ever do a term paper for an english class i'm totally doing that. :0

i feel like watching anime but i'm not sure what. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

TBH I thought Nej was talking about a different series entirely when he said SAOL (I was processing it as "Soul" and not "SAO")

Also, while Kirito may seem like a Marty Stu in how powerful he is, he feels much more human that the main character of .hack//GU; who is a very bland, uninteresting character that feels like a the star of a generic shonen anime, rather than the star of something bearing the ".hack" name. SAO is still a favorite of mine from what I've seen, excluding the shitty English dub; I'd rank it somewhere around .hack//Legend of the Twilight as far as "favorites" go.

NejinOniwa

He is overpowered, has ZOMG UNIQUE POWERS and the entire plot - nay, the world - of the series revolves around him. I don't see how much more Stu you can get.

Nichi

But he actually shows a wider range of emotion than the main character of .hack//GU; which the extent of his character is "GRR ARR KILL EVERYTHING" and "WAH WAH I AM SHINJI CLONE" after he loses his powers

NejinOniwa

IDK about .hack//GU, since I've never seen it. Badmouthing another series is hardly the best way of promoting your own, now is it? ^^