Current Target Gallery:  http://kazumi386.org/%7Eostan2/pic_uploader/
Current Volunteers:

C-chan:  Uploader [Mac]
    NewYinzer:  Uploader [Yamada]
    brougeXP22: Uploader [XP & Moezilla]
    Pitkin:  Cleaner & Dupe Checker [and admin, of course]
    SleeypD:  Researcher [in a way][/list]

MisterCat

Are there, or are there not, two distinct XP-tans?  Isn't one XP-Professional and the other XP-Something-Or-Other ("Home" or some such thing)?

;018

Anyway, if there are two of them, don't they need to be in two seperate categories?  What prompts me to ask this is the confusion I felt when first accessing the library here:  I went to the XP section and was greeted by image after image of some gal with green hair.

;026

Perhaps it comes down to what comprises a category.  Either there's one category for each OS Girl, or there's one category for each operating system.

Hence, I'm wondering just what comprises an operating system.  If there's an XP-Professional and an XP-Amateur, is that one operating system or two?

If each of those (shall we say) operating systems has its own OS Girl, ought there not to be two categories?  That would put more emphasis on the OS Girls themselves, I should think.

What do you think?  If there are images showing both of those XP-tans together then they'd go into a "Group" category, no?

;hi

=^..^=

C-Chan

Well the Group category is technically reserved for pictures displaying more than one distinct -tan.   I say "technically" since that rule gets broken a lot (especially by yours truly, who doesn't really want his new OS-tans separated...).  ^__^'

As for your original question, the Gallery was built during the Fabian era, so likely the categories were just roughly organized into general Operating System categories.  Pitkin would know for sure, but perhaps it was easier to organize them by OS, dump ther pics in, and let the fans sort it out.  Or, conversely, perhaps it was anticipated that the gallery would grow as large and meticulously-detailed as it's getting to be....  ^^'

Truth be told, I have a vested interest in opting for individual OS-tan gallery folders.  That way, referencing in the Annex would be a lot easier for me (currently, 98 and 98SE share the same "sample depictions"), and perhaps it'd give us the excuse to squeeze in categories for more than just the canon OS-tans....  *cough cough*  -v-

So yes, ideally we should have a gallery for XP Home, XP Professional, XPME, XP 64-bit, etc...

But consider the technical issues that'd involve that update and subsequent image migration.  At least until Linux-tan returns to give us a feasibility estimate, we're gonna have to do with the current format for now.  ^^'

Anyway, we're not gonna hurt you yet, but you did get ensnared in our trap after all...  `_'

So how 'bout it?  Willing to join as either an Uploader, Commenter, Researcher or any of the aforementioned positions for this little project?  `v'

SleepyD

Researcher, eh?  Sounds good... I tend to do that a lot, but what exactly does a researcher here do? XD;

C-Chan

Find more picture galleries, of course.... ^.^

Not an easy task as you well know, since (especially based on what's at The Exit) you need to know Japanese in order to track down the rare pics.  ^v^

SleepyD

Alrighty then. ^^

hah, true, it's not the easiest thing to do.
    but after seeing some of the same kanji over and over again at art sites, I can figure out where the gallery is.  And furthermore, if I see a number 18 along with another familiar kanji, I know what that is as well. (red text is a common tipoff as well) ^^

in other cases, I use http://www.j-talk.com/nihongo/ to put japanese into romanized text and try to figure out something... ^^

It's also a good idea to look around for any sentences in (usually broken) english requesting that their pics should not be posted in other places. If I find that, I respect their wishes. (4chan on the other hand, tends to ignore this) I link to the site, nothing more.  I don't save it anywhere or anything like that.  (right, also on that topic, when you find an image through say, google, go to the home page or main gallery page if there is one to search for this message. It's not always where the pic is)

What else... oh, I also copy and paste japanese text into google and google.jp and do web and image searches.  I find a few things that way.  Other times, I'd type the text in myself. (usually to see if the english word in katakana would bring something up) ^^

Well, that's a basic overview of my methods.... which somehow came out as I typed and it somehow became the main part of my reply.... interesting.

C-Chan

Haha, now that's what I call major Freudian slippage....  ^v^'
    Alrighty then, I leave the rest in that regards to you SleepyD!  ^__^

In other news, I uploaded additional Mac pics, the Moezilla wallpaper (featuring Seamonkey and Nvu-sama, in addition to the usual).
    And XP #22 followed through perfectly on his commitment and uploaded XP pics, including this extraordinarily sexy one....

Enough to impress me, and I'm not even an XP fan... ^v^'

Superb work, XP #22!  ^__^
    Please keep up the good work.  ^v^

(naturally, that goes for all of ya'z... `v')

MisterCat

Thank you, C-Chan, for your briefing on how the library's categories came about and what would be involved were they to be changed.  I shall leave such matters in your more-than-capable hands and support whatever happens in future, if anything, regarding the categories.

;019

Now, about helping with The Big Project:  Regretfully, I've neither energy nor time to do research; and I've not sufficient experience to compose biographical summaries of the OS Girls.  I'm not sure what an Uploader does, in respect to this project, but I fear that might be a bit much for me as well; and here's why:  It's this business of stating the source of one's image or images.

Like, yeah, I've a few images of OS Girl XP Professional but I've no idea from whence they came.  In nearly all cases, I've seen those selfsame images in several different places on the web ââ,¬â€ which makes me think they just sort of bounce around in cyberspace like image files tend to do.

Since I'm most probably ignorant of just what an Uploader does in regard to this project, I'll shut up now and await your description of the job description.  Thank you!

;012

=^..^=

C-Chan

QuoteThank you, C-Chan, for your briefing on how the library's categories came about and what would be involved were they to be changed. I shall leave such matters in your more-than-capable hands and support whatever happens in future, if anything, regarding the categories.

I already started leaving some suggestions at the Admin thread to enhance the forum's presentation,  But while ideas are plentiful, time and technology are against us.  Certainly wouldn't want to start demanding this and that from Linux-tan when it's not technically impossible AND if we're not able to compensate for the additional work we'd be piling on him.  -___-

QuoteNow, about helping with The Big Project: Regretfully, I've neither energy nor time to do research;

No problem.  SleepyD has that covered for now.  ^__^

Quoteand I've not sufficient experience to compose biographical summaries of the OS Girls.

More on that in a bit.  Biographical summaries not necessarily what I'm looking for.

QuoteI'm not sure what an Uploader does, in respect to this project, but I fear that might be a bit much for me as well; and here's why: It's this business of stating the source of one's image or images.

Like, yeah, I've a few images of OS Girl XP Professional but I've no idea from whence they came. In nearly all cases, I've seen those selfsame images in several different places on the web ââ,¬â€ which makes me think they just sort of bounce around in cyberspace like image files tend to do.

Since I'm most probably ignorant of just what an Uploader does in regard to this project, I'll shut up now and await your description of the job description. Thank you!

The original post detailing the positions is here, btw:

http://ostan.blackdiam.net/viewtopic.php?p=7780#post_7780

But yeah, I'm not sure if you'd be happy with the Uploader position.  Essentially, you'd pick an OS-tan and transfer her pictures from the target gallery onto our own.  Very time intensive, plus you'd need to be confident with your OS-tan recognition skills.

The Commenter position, however, strikes me as perfect for you. -v-

Many of the Fabian-era pictures were uploaded with no name or title,...

example:  http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/thumbnails.php?album=8&page=3

...so obscure characters have remained locked in perpetual obscurity forever.  Certainly the casual newbie, unaware of the complete OS-tan roster, would find the dizzying array of mystery characters disconcerting.

But if we can at least insert comments identifying the character or characters in question, then we can remedy this issue and perform a public service to new fans.  ^__^

The job of the Commenter is two fold...

1) Sure, he's responsible for adding the comments himself, and can likely do so if the picture already contains characters he's familiar with (e.g., XP-tan)

2) But if he should happen to come across an obscure character (or an obsolete design) that is above and beyond recognition, then it would be his task to post/link the image to this Picture Gallery thread.  That way, we can all pool our resources to decide the fate of the mystery -tan in a panel discussion, thus providing you with a name as well as a further widget of knowledge (however trivial... -v-').

For example,...

Suppose you search the Others and Group Galleries, and you come across this obscure lass:

You could post it here along with your inquiry, and the panel (led by the Handsome and Illustrious C-chan... Fufufu... -.-) would come to an agreement that the girl is in fact Chinese Google-tan, a parody of the regular Google-tan after this bit of info came to light:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4645596.stm

Then you would skip happily back to the gallery and record your findings for the sake of posterity (as I have already done for you):

http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=46

So there you have it.  So what'dya say?  Sound like an interesting pastime?  ^v^
    It's a great way to learn the -tan roster.  ^__^

(and likewise, you might help us learn a thing or two as well...  ^v^)

MisterCat

C-Chan, I beg your leave in order to think on this matter:  Please give me a day or two to decide.  I want to help, yes; but just seeing that page of image after image, all unidentified depictions....  It's a sobering sight, I can assure you, for somebody whose knowledge of the genre is paltry to begin with.

;015

The occasional unidentified image here or there would be fine, but an entire battalion of them staring down at me en masse doesn't project "Welcome!" in quite the way one would prefer.  Might there not be a kind of non-public cyber-warehouse nearby, in which the unidentified OS Girls can be kept; and, at our leisure, brought out to the public galleries one by one as they're identified?

;hi

In the event, let me get back to you on this!  Thank you for your patience and understanding.

;019

=^..^=

C-Chan

Hehe...  Reminds me of when I was first new to the OS-tan phenomenon and stared aghast at all the sea of oddball characters...  -.-

Sure think it through, but bare in mind that I'm not asking to identify them en masse.  One a day is fine, if not too much.  ^^'
    When fun projects become a chore, they cease to be "fun" after all....  ^v^'

SleepyD

and when they cease to be fun, the quality of work really sucks.

Well, I guess it might not be too noticeable in this case (how low quality can some labeling text get?), but it certainly applies with my art stuffs.  If have have other things to worry about, the art doesn't become fun, I rush, and it turns out like crap. So... yeah.

Engineering doesn't give you much free time. hah. Well, Jeff is now considering a minor in computer science.  Might be a bit more work, but looks doable.  I just felt like saying this right now. haha

Pitkin

I've been thinking (Super Ego: Whoa...) of something myself of late. How about I create a Gallery Update thread into the News and Announcements subforum and post there every time I validate new uploads, stating the following facts about the images:
    -number of uploads
    -galleries they were uploaded in (e.g. in OS-tan -> Other or Backgrounds -> Windows XP)
    -whether any of the characters were unknown and therefore need to be recognized (I consider myself a liability here, since I'm unable to name 95% of the Linux distros or Macs, or filetypes, or consoles, or... :D)

That way, everyone could immediately notice WHEN the new pictures have actually become available and rush into the galleries (and have nosebleeds, you pervs T_T). Aye? ^^

Alternatively, I could post in this thread, but it might just mess up with this thread's structure. What do you others think? ^^;

FFViper

Well since no one is offering to do 98 and 98SE, I might as well.  I wouldn't mind helping out as an uploader doing 98 and 98SE, since I haven't seen anyone else doing them as of yet.  I mean currently I already have a bunch of pictures I know wasn't in the 98 gallery last time I checked.  (And based on the last update of the gallery I can guess it hasn't changed.)

So ya, if you need help with uploading I wouldn't mind, though I do have a few questions.

1.  As an uploader do you just take images and bring them to the gallery, regardless of quality?  Or is there a limit to how bad the image can be?

2.  Are we suppose to get all images possible, including 'Mature' related pictures for the related sections?

Edit:  Well Pitkin, it might be best to do like weekly updates.  If you try and update everytime there is a change your'll be overwhelmed, so maybe once a week or similar says what updates have happened over the week, etc.  That my idea at least.