IP Marked as VPN

Started by Oteras, November 18, 2023, 03:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oteras

Hey community,

I recently signed up on the gallery and encountered an issue that has me frustrated. My IP address seems to be flagged as a VPN, and I'm having trouble understanding why this is happening.

To provide some context, I used a temporary email during the sign-up process to avoid spam. Could this be the reason my IP is being labeled as a VPN? I understand the importance of security measures, but this is impacting my experience on the platform.

Has anyone else encountered a similar situation or has insights on how to resolve this?

Goujer (she/her)

We use https://ipregistry.co/ with the gallery to verify all signups IP addresses, if it detects that the IP could be a VPN or has other issues your account, will be restricted until email verification has been completed.

But I have been struggling to setup email communications on the gallery so signups are effectively useless right now, work-arounds and exceptions will not be done.

Bad apples spoil the whole bunch unfortunately and because of recent actions, security and verification are STRICTLY REQUIRED.
You can try accessing your account from a different IP address or wait until email functionality is implemented and verify your email then.

If you private message me your Gallery name I will watch for your IP connections to see if a "safe" IP connection has been made.

Oteras

Quote from: Goujer on November 18, 2023, 05:05:08 PMWe use https://ipregistry.co/ with the gallery to verify all signups IP addresses, if it detects that the IP could be a VPN or has other issues your account, will be restricted until email verification has been completed.

But I have been struggling to setup email communications on the gallery so signups are effectively useless right now, work-arounds and exceptions will not be done.

Bad apples spoil the whole bunch unfortunately and because of recent actions, security and verification are STRICTLY REQUIRED.
You can try accessing your account from a different IP address or wait until email functionality is implemented and verify your email then.

If you private message me your Gallery name I will watch for your IP connections to see if a "safe" IP connection has been made.
I appreciate the explanation regarding the IP verification process, but if the site is falsely marking my IP as a VPN, it raises concerns about the accuracy. It seems unfair that legitimate users might face restrictions due to false positives.

I'm reconsidering my interest in participating here. I have heard there's a better place where such issues are handled more effectively, I might explore that option.

Goujer (she/her)

Quote from: Oteras on November 20, 2023, 06:59:17 AMI appreciate the explanation regarding the IP verification process, but if the site is falsely marking my IP as a VPN, it raises concerns about the accuracy. It seems unfair that legitimate users might face restrictions due to false positives.

I'm reconsidering my interest in participating here. I have heard there's a better place where such issues are handled more effectively, I might explore that option.

I have extreme faith in our IP detection system as it is used by millions of sites and we encourage your to retry accessing your account from a network that you know is unaffected by any proxies.

If you feel that another website would be more worth your efforts you are free to explore and use those sites.

Oteras

Quote from: Goujer on November 20, 2023, 07:59:40 AMI have extreme faith in our IP detection system as it is used by millions of sites and we encourage your to retry accessing your account from a network that you know is unaffected by any proxies.

If you feel that another website would be more worth your efforts you are free to explore and use those sites.
Just to share additional context, a friend of mine also attempted to access the platform but encountered similar difficulties. It seems the issue might not be isolated.

Considering these challenges and after some consideration, I've come across another site with more robust moderation and a more open atmosphere. I believe it might align better with what I'm seeking.

Thanks again for your understanding and assistance throughout this process

Goujer (she/her)

The only other signups to the gallery have been spam so I find this somewhat unlikely.

Which racial, ableist or homophobic slur was their user name?

The only usernames that have signed up that aren't a slur have been banned for posting bestiality, if that was them I'm not sure we want them on the site.

I also see that you have given zero attempts to sign back into the gallery after immediately signing out after user creation, so I can see you're not very bothered to get things working.

Also I have independently confirmed with three different ip checking sites that all three of your IP addresses are VPN points or proxies from the same webhosting company in the same city so if you ever do feel like attempting to sign in again on the gallery please disable your VPN or try a different network, because it is not being incorrectly flagged.

Or you can be patient as I attempt to fix the email service for the gallery.

Thank you for your efforts, I hope you have a lovely night.

Oteras

Regarding my login attempts, I'd like to clarify that I'm not using a VPN and have never used one before. It's puzzling to me how my IP could be marked as a VPN.

Goujer (she/her)

Regarding them how?
Your VPN has nothing to do with your login attempts.
You only logged in the one time Tasha, you're going to have to try harder than that.