Previous topic - Next topic

NewYinzer

*picks up white flag and starts waving*

3 Hours Later:

*continues waving*

3 Days Later:

*continues waving*

Kami-Tux

I have updated Minix-tan and from now on will not post there anymore. I just thought they'd need an up to date Minix as well.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

NewYinzer

QuoteI have updated Minix-tan and from now on will not post there anymore. I just thought they'd need an up to date Minix as well.

You can post there, it's just I don't recommend it.

*continues waving*

C-Chan

*drops flag*

Gah!  Cramp!  >_<

*sigh*

Oh never mind, they've seen enough.  -__-'

Ultimately, it's really up to the individuals whether they want to participate or not.  I know I've been through my share of wasted time and talent, so I would be the last person to blame them if they prefer not to take the risk in joining.

If you want to be systematic about it, however, here's some food for thought that I think could help influence the success of this board:

1) Patience -- when I posted full-body Amiga-tan and my subsequent -tans, I did so without expecting a tidal wave of praise.  (I did get quite a bit, but not enough to fill the hearts of people who dishearten easily.)  Patience paid off, as I slowly but surely got more people interested in my work, especially you and -Tux.  The same holds true with the forum if we provide the incentives for people to come/return.  It won't happen overnight, but it will happen eventually.
Which leads on to....

2) Participation -- you're no stranger to this, as it's not rare to see your name appear on every conceivable thread.  ^__^'
But in order to get that bustling feel, people must make an effort to post more.  Even if it's just single sentences, it could mean a whole lot if it means motivating others to follow the herd.  In fact, short posts are probably ideal,... The HUGE posts left by the Captain and I on the PalmOS-tan forum probably SCARED a lot of people from posting, even though it's clear by the view count that it's gotten a lot of people to visit it.

3) Content -- it is, after all, an OS-tan forum.  We can get by just talking about our favorite -tans for a while, but sooner or later we're gonna get bored.  And new pictures of our favorite OS-tans can only go so far.  That's why it's pivotal that we create our own content, instead of waiting for it to come to Japan.  The Captain should be working on his comic.  Darknight should be praised for drawing all his 95-tan renditions.  SleepyD, his 2K-tan and future fantastic awesome OS/2-tan rendition!  ^v^  And Kami-Tux, for going the full mile and introducing Minix-tan to this cruel and heartless world.
Now the torch is passed on to you.  ^__^
Even if you can't draw, just draw.... Anything..... Draw so much, that you'll eventually get good at it!  ^v^
Study, or cheat if you have to like I do,...!
Or collage...!  Compose....!  Produce music videos...!  Storytell....!
Anything to keep the flame of interest lit!  ^0^

4) Focus -- make sure we have clearly defined goals to pursue so that we don't lose focus.  I've already lost one OS-tan forum to obsessive and unrelated RP'ing by 99% of its members, and I'd hate it if visitors were discouraged simply because OS-tan content was lacking (an irony considering we'd tout this as an "OS-tan forum").  I know that repels me from Waka a little, since the discussion seems fairly mindless and no effort is made to do anything constructive with this Os-tan phenomenon.  
There have been several goals stated here, thus far; I can name the following:

- Create the Captain's fancomic
   - Make the Gallery the greatest OS-tan image repository
   - Create a new and more enticing web domain/site name
   - Create new OS-tans.

Choose one or two and do whatever it takes to help carry it out into fruition.  Once you're working on something constructive that you like, it immediately becomes a hobby.  And as you know from research, hobbies help keep the mind invigorated, and the soul curious and content.  (Ask any fellow coin-collector.... ^v')

5) Aesthetics -- well, this is more Linux-tan's domain, but it wouldn't hurt to enhance the OS-tan theme to this forum.  Fortunately, it's no imageboard, where after a certain number of posts your material gets lost into oblivion.  But it CAN get rather crowded in these directories, and very easy for potentially fun threads to get buried and forgotten (the fact that only the most popular threads are pulled up first doesn't help).  Moreover, the site still has a generic look-and-feel of a forum, and the Off-Topic discussion section seems to dwarf the OS-tan one.  
If, on the other hand, you wanted to advance the OS-tan theme, you could really get creative in how you design the forum areas (assuming time and technology permits).  Windows-tan discussion area could have an XP desktop theme, the Mac-tan area an OSX-theme, the Linux-area a KDE theme.  The Off-topic discussions could be reworded and remodeled to fit the OS-tan theme if this is desirable (Videogames section could be an "embassy" of sorts, since Videogame-tans aren't OS-tans).  We could develop our own custom smilies featuring our favorite -tan, so that Darknight could interactively have 95-tan "swipe" at us with her katana.  Even the gallery could be revised to make it look like the massive repository that it is, and not simply another forum folder.

I know perhaps I'm speaking my mind off more than I should on the subject (after all, it's not my site, and further more I'm not one to talk as I left my OWN website unfinished).  Still, I'd be willing to work on [say] those smilies if it meant improving our "survivability".  The question now, though, is how many others would be interested in participating in such a thing?

Again, the willingness to do something and the TIME to do it are, unfortunately, to very separate things.....  -___-

NewYinzer

Quote2) Participation -- you're no stranger to this, as it's not rare to see your name appear on every conceivable thread. ^__^'
But in order to get that bustling feel, people must make an effort to post more. Even if it's just single sentences, it could mean a whole lot if it means motivating others to follow the herd. In fact, short posts are probably ideal,... The HUGE posts left by the Captain and I on the PalmOS-tan forum probably SCARED a lot of people from posting, even though it's clear by the view count that it's gotten a lot of people to visit it.

That reminds me of a few weeks ago. When I started, I posted on a few topics to test the water. As I gained confidence, I posted more and more. One day, I posted on every section, and for several hours, hundreds of posts were made. Now I post from time to time. I'll keep posting during the school year, albeit less often during the day.

C-Chan

Oh yeah, I remember.....  -v-

Actually went a little overboard too, but tell me that wasn't fun at least.  ^___^

Now imagine if there were 50 more NewYinzers?  It'd be a riot -- but admittedly, statistics would play a roll and we'd have had at least one bad apple mixed in there somewhere.  -v-'

But again, as you allude to, internet diversions will always be at the mercy of real life.  No doubt it was serious real life events taht finally put an end to my old obsessions and bad habits.  -_-

NewYinzer

QuoteBut again, as you allude to, internet diversions will always be at the mercy of real life. No doubt it was serious real life events taht finally put an end to my old obsessions and bad habits. -_-

What bad habits? Anyway, internet life has helped me through a difficult summer.

C-Chan

Bad habits that are best left dead and buried, my friend.  ^___^
I'm a reformed pig now and like to keep it that way.  ^.^

Anyway, that's great to hear.  
Do let us know how school life is going every once in a while.  ^_-

NewYinzer

QuoteAnyway, that's great to hear.
Do let us know how school life is going every once in a while. ^_-

I won't return for another seven days. A few construction delays have given me another six days of fun!

C-Chan

Woohoo!!  That's the best news one can get!  ^v^

Back in my elementary school days, how I prayed for more asbestos clean-up to prolong my summer..... -v-

*long sigh*  *v*

NewYinzer

QuoteWoohoo!! That's the best news one can get! ^v^

Yep. Next Tuesday it's back to Shakespeare, Trigonometry, World Politics, Crimethink, Ethics, Latin II, and Ultimate Frisbee.

SleepyD

mm... school.  

...yeah.  Jeff... already started.  *holds up his calculus book*

You like integrals? Weird thing, limits and infinity.  Funny how infinity can help you get a finite number *ramblerambleramble*

Work sucks. I guess this is what I get for choosing to be an engineering major... ^^;

And, if no one has mentioned this already, I believe this is quite off topic

NewYinzer

QuoteAnd, if no one has mentioned this already, I believe this is quite off topic

I know. Anyone have new Linux-tans to add?

*continues waving*

Darknight_88

Quote from: "SleepyD"

And, if no one has mentioned this already, I believe this is quite off topic

RLY?
lol
I haven't started to work with integrals yet. Actually, we're seeing logarithms and derivatives. Next semester follows Integrals.

QuoteAnyone have new Linux-tans to add?
*Maybe*,  but in the medium-far future. Maybe I'll give a try at a "School teacher" style Minix-tan. Maybe. First, I must finish the OS/2 drawing.

NewYinzer

QuoteI haven't started to work with integrals yet. Actually, we're seeing logarithms and derivatives. Next semester follows Integrals.

Me neither. I'm just starting Trig this year. Seriously, we should get this thread on track, or Pitkin will be angered.