Main Menu

Linux Distros

Started by C-Chan, July 19, 2006, 01:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewYinzer

QuoteWell, I've always been apprehensive myself about posting on Waka.

Me too. I'd hate to make this website the next Netrunner or Deja Vu.

Kami-Tux

Quote from: "C-Chan"Well, I've always been apprehensive myself about posting on Waka.  Just doesn't always seem very helpful...  -__-'
I thought if someone knows her already then they...

Quote from: "C-Chan"
I'm liking Minix-tan very much and definitely appreciate all the changes added to build 2.0.  ^__^
Ty!

Quote from: "C-Chan"
How do you feel about her, though?  Is she at where you want her to be?  'v'
She is at where I would say 'attempting to improve would only mess up more than help'. Only thing I would like to change is the book.... if only I knew how Linus's looked like...

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

NewYinzer

QuoteI thought if someone knows her already then they...

Ya know...the Net Characters board!

In my opinion, too many other characters and not enough OS-Tans!

Kami-Tux

there are many non-OS-tans, right...  

BTW: Why is your avatar-logo in German?

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

NewYinzer

Yes! There are many "Net Characters", including Wakachan, The Nijiura Maids, Mecha Musume, Afuganisu-tan, Wahachan, and other characters. For more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo%C3%A9_anthropomorphism

My avatar is in German because the original image I used was in German.

C-Chan

Ahhh,... I was wondering about the German as well, but I was too excited by the whole Red Hat thing to ask.  ^___^'

I wanted to post at Waka for the longest time, but I keep getting the nagging feeling that doing so would open some gates of hell somewhere.  -__-'

Alfamille

QuoteQuote from : C-Chan
I wanted to post at Waka for the longest time, but I keep getting the nagging feeling that doing so would open some gates of hell somewhere.  -__-'

Like what bad thing would happen if you do?

NewYinzer

I don't know about C-Chan, but I don't want to post there because it might give this website a bad name. I would hate to make this site another Deja Vu or Netrunner.

C-Chan

Hoe?  How so...?  '__'
Probably not well versed with the history of Netrunner or Deja Vu, but I thought their crime was just plagiarism.  '__';

My concern has always been bringing unwanted attention here.  -___-'
Besides that, some of the stupid comments I've seen I simply can't stand....  Ã,¬__Ã,¬

C-Chan added the following  6 minutes after last message :

'Kay, I still can't decide on how to do the pic format, but I can at least update this list.... ^__^'

Minix = 1 (done by our resident Penguin God...  ^___^)
Linux (the original GNU/Linux) = 1, plus an unknown number of variants (including lots in the Gallery).
Linspire (fka "Lindows") = 1, with all consistent designs ("Scallion Girl" theme), although lately I've seen her with pigtails.
Freespire = 0 (still too new)
Arch = 1
Debian = 1 (cute one too, good job Juzo-kun!)
Fedora = 2 (YAY! MY FAV!  -- Juzo-kun's, plus another I saw in the Gallery)
Gentoo = 1
Knoppix = 2 (Juzo-kun's, plus another floating around at Waka)
Mandriva = 1 (reminds me of a cuter Sabrina the Witch)
Red Hat = 2 (Juzo-kun's, plus another I saw in the Gallery; I'm sure there's others, though)
Slackware = 2 (Juzo-kun's, plus another I saw at Troubled Windows)
SUSE = 2 (Juzo-kun's, plus another I saw in the Gallery)
Ubuntu = 2 (Juzo-kun's, plus another one in the gallery)
Xandros = 0
Zeus Linux = 1  (Opa!  Opa!  ^v^)
Yellow Dog = 0 (although the name screams for inspiration)
Solaris = 1 (Unix-derived; same as SunOS one)
SunOS = 1 (Unix-derived; same as Solaris one)
BSD = 3 (original Unix-derived, not the later versions; have seen several on the Niijura image gallery)
FreeBSD = 1 (in that case, FreeBSD-tan could take on one of the leftover BSD designs)
OpenBSD = 1 (Puffy the Punk OpenBSD-tan)
NetBSD = 0
Unixware = 0
Plan 9 = 0
Inferno = 0
CRUX=0 (hardcore stuff ^__^)
NimbleX=0
Puppy Linux=0 (cute ^.^)
BlueCat Linux=0 (nekomusume)
Linux XP=0 (this one just screams "OS-tan)
Xebian=0 (xbox junkie)[/quote]

NewYinzer

The list of Linux-tans grows...just like the Linux userbase.

QuoteHoe? How so...? '__'
Knowing their disputes, anything could start a conflict. Past disputes show that people on Futaba can't stand anachronisms on their designs or intellectual property. I worry that they might start viewing us as an enemy.

On another note, would anyone like it if our forums grew to the size of Waka, Futuaba, or Nijiura? Are we better small or are we too small to survive?

C-Chan

QuoteThe list of Linux-tans grows...just like the Linux userbase.

Which reminds me,... I still have to fix my poor SUSE machine...  ;__;

QuoteKnowing their disputes, anything could start a conflict. Past disputes show that people on Futaba can't stand anachronisms on their designs or intellectual property. I worry that they might start viewing us as an enemy.

Well, I'm not really sure just how closely the people at Futaba monitor the activities at Waka.  For the most part, the Waka folk just repost OS-tan and Net Character material.

But now that you phrase it that way, I see your point and it does seem suspiciously like stifling artistry.  Plagiarizing for profit or claiming someone's work as your own, I can sympathize with.  But stifling fanart strikes me as hypocritical.  If what you say is true, they could potentially take issue with the Captain's fancomic for example.  >_<

Ta hell with them, then.  We'll stick to our own guns for now.  -v-

QuoteOn another note, would anyone like it if our forums grew to the size of Waka, Futuaba, or Nijiura? Are we better small or are we too small to survive?

I think it's a moot point, since we require registration and thus it'd be impossible to grow to their size.  Besides, while having more people does increase chances of survival, it doesn't necessarily guarantee it.  The day participation and contributions start to wane at any of those forums, you can be sure it'll die a slow and painful death as people find newer and better things to spend their time on.  ^___^;

I think we're just right.  Strong enough to be a beacon for new OS-tan fans, but not terribly overbearing to drive them away.  ^^'
Still, someone like Linux-tan or Pitkin should probably have an opinion on this.  ^__^

NewYinzer

QuoteI think it's a moot point,

I know that I am bringing up a topic that seems extraneous, but is important to the value of the site. We have many members, like you and I, who post often. Then there are some who don't post at all. Our site must stay small, but stay strong. Otherwise, it becomes like the original OS-Tan image archive, which is important to fans, but no longer actively maintained (http://nijiura-os.hp.infoseek.co.jp/). But don't mind me. Let's get back to Linux-tans!

As a sidenote, the founder of 4chan goes by moot.

C-Chan

QuoteI know that I am bringing up a topic that seems extraneous, but is important to the value of the site. We have many members, like you and I, who post often. Then there are some who don't post at all. Our site must stay small, but stay strong. Otherwise, it becomes like the original OS-Tan image archive, which is important to fans, but no longer actively maintained (http://nijiura-os.hp.infoseek.co.jp/). But don't mind me. Let's get back to Linux-tans!

Agreed then,... We'll try to recruit more people to spice things up!  ^.^

*waves white flag at lurkers*

Come on guys!  Don't be shy.......!  ^v^
This pig won't bite.  Price gauge you, yes, but not bite!  ^-^'

QuoteAs a sidenote, the founder of 4chan goes by moot.

Oh,....... Well, speak of the devil,....
Last I checked, 4chan.org was...........  Ã,¬___Ã,¬'

NewYinzer

QuoteAgreed then,... We'll try to recruit more people to spice things up! ^.^
Don't mind me asking, but what's the plan?

C-Chan

Grab a white flag and start waving!  ^V^

*continues waving*