Main Menu

Linux Distros

Started by C-Chan, July 19, 2006, 01:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewYinzer

This looks like a good time to point out that I can't draw.

C-Chan

...................Gaaaaaah...... *collapses*  ^v^;'

Well, I'll let you in on my own little secret....

[whispering]  And don't tell Darknight....

*gets closer to NewYinzer and whispers even lower*

I can't draw either.... When I say I cheat, I mean it.... ^__^'

Kami-Tux

May I introduce: Minix-tan. Please do not laugh about her, she is just an earkly version and I can not draw.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

NewYinzer

Not bad! Needs a little polishing, but I like the concept!

Kami-Tux

To explain it a bit: She has no breasts to speak of since her system requirements are very low (4 MB Ram for the newest version). The logo on her T-shirt is the logo from minix3.org. The red book is "Operating Systems - design and implementation" by  Andrew S.Tanenbaum.  I wanted her to wear wooden shoes (she is dutch afterall), but couldn't design that.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

115%!!!  ^V^

See, told you you'd be alright!  ^.^
Even if it's an early version, is pretty good.  And certainly has more than enough concepts in place to work with.  ^__^

There are several ways we can go from here as you continue work on Minix-chan....  -v-

1) Let us know what drawing program you're using and the system your on.  Do you prefer raster or vactor graphics?

2) Are you ultimately aiming for an Anime-style look (big eyes, simplistic, heavily-shaded) or a Western-style (small eyes, detailed, light shading)?  (If the former, we can offer you guidelines, but of course sketching over existing Anime characters (especially their faces) is great practice.)

3) Likewise, sketching over the props that you want is also good practice too:

Once you have your rendition ready, it's simply a matter of playing with lines to get the angle you're looking for (in this case, vector graphics are useful).

4) Putting the complete Minix logo on her shirt is fine, but I can tell you that you might have a lot more fun finding ways of "blending" the racoon into her design as a whole.  For example, suppose she wore a bandit-style mask and racoon ears (she did, to a distant degree, "steal" from the rich [Unix], and "give" to the [then] poor [Linux]).  

5) We can both agree that she needn't have a spear, since she was built before GNU/Linux (and all the free apps that go with it).  However, I think it'd be great to have a little something on her that'd subtly tie her to her pseudo-descendant Linux.  How about changing the hair to be purple/dark blue?  (that way the case can be made that Linux-tan inherited the hair color -- but not the length -- from Minix-tan)

Wow, now I'm psyched!!  ^V^

*grabs megaphone and makes his voice boom across the forum*

LET THERE BE NEW OS-TANS!!!!  ^V^

Kami-Tux

Quote from: "C-Chan"
1) Let us know what drawing program you're using and the system your on.  Do you prefer raster or vactor graphics?
GIMP on Kubuntu Linux

2) Are you ultimately aiming for an Anime-style look (big eyes, simplistic, heavily-shaded) or a Western-style (small eyes, detailed, light shading)?  (If the former, we can offer you guidelines, but of course sketching over existing Anime characters (especially their faces) is great practice.)
I prefer the western look...
4) Putting the complete Minix logo on her shirt is fine, but I can tell you that you might have a lot more fun finding ways of "blending" the racoon into her design as a whole.  For example, suppose she wore a bandit-style mask and racoon ears (she did, to a distant degree, "steal" from the rich [Unix], and "give" to the [then] poor [Linux]).  
Minix-tan herself was not free and no Minix-code was used in Linux... so this doesn't really fit. but the racoon ears are a good idea.
5) We can both agree that she needn't have a spear, since she was built before GNU/Linux (and all the free apps that go with it).  However, I think it'd be great to have a little something on her that'd subtly tie her to her pseudo-descendant Linux.  How about changing the hair to be purple/dark blue?  (that way the case can be made that Linux-tan inherited the hair color -- but not the length -- from Minix-tan)
The GNU-project existed before Minix and Linux, however it apparently was horribly difficult to port programs to Minix, so it's okay that she doesn't have a spear. The hair-color is a good idea.

I agree:

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Okey-dokey....  ^__^

QuoteGIMP on Kubuntu Linux

Good man, that's what I like to hear!  ^.^
That also means you're a raster man, so you prefer to do it the ol' fashioned way like real artists do.  ^v^
Should you ever decide to work with vectors, Inkscape is what I'll recommend.  And it's GPL, too....  ^_'

QuoteI prefer the western look...

Western it is, then!  ^v^

QuoteMinix-tan herself was not free and no Minix-code was used in Linux... so this doesn't really fit. but the racoon ears are a good idea.

Hehe... well I didn't mean "steal" literally (in actuality, system x influenced system y which in turn influenced system z that everyone loves and adores to this day).  But glad the racoon ears sold.  ^.^
Considering the popularity of 2K-tan and the OSX Girls, I think it'd be an excellent marketing decision for your -tan.  ^.^

QuoteThe GNU-project existed before Minix and Linux, however it apparently was horribly difficult to port programs to Minix, so it's okay that she doesn't have a spear. The hair-color is a good idea.

Oh right, I mean "GNU/Linux" as a single word.....  ^__^'
And again, glad the hair suggestion sold too.   ^.^

Sure, dark-blue/purple may not necessarily be a "Dutch" color, but neither is cyan or lime-green an inherently "Japanese" color (and yet you see characters with that color hair in droves!  ^.^)

QuoteI agree:

WOOHOO!! That's the spirit!  ^V^

Onward, O Penguin God, and put your heart and soul into it!!  ^V^

Oh, and... when you're done....

*twiddles hooves*

Um,......  Can I borrow Minix-tan when I start drawing Linux-tans and Unix-tans?  Pretty please....?  With Aspartame and a Marschino Cherry on top....?  ^___^;

Kami-Tux

Use her as you like... /me suddenly has the idea of a CE-tan vs Minix-tan deathmatch

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Dang,... considering I already made a PalmOS-tan, we're really starting to gang up on the poor CE-tan.  `v'

But eh,... She's Microsoft spawn, so she should take everything she deserves coming!  ^__^

Kami-Tux

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

NewYinzer

What???

Kami-Tux

Ikaru is one of my numerous aliases. I thought it was a good idea to get feedback and other Minix-tans... Have I did something stupid?

Kami-Tux added the following  2 hours 51 minutes after last message :

Minix-tan, Version 2.0

* Added Racoon-ears
* added eye-brows
* added the Minix-M on her T-shirt
* added shadows
* added a subtle hint that she is a woman
* changed the hair-color
* changed her shoes
* made her appear a bit less communistic by putting the T onto the book
* made her eyes yellow (to hint to a Tux-beak)
* made her legs a bit thicker
* made the floppy-disk 2-dimensional

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

NewYinzer

Nothing wrong with that. I wanted to know who here was posting on Net Characters. But the improved design is a good base model for Minix-tan. Good Work!

C-Chan

Well, I've always been apprehensive myself about posting on Waka.  Just doesn't always seem very helpful...  -__-'

I'm liking Minix-tan very much and definitely appreciate all the changes added to build 2.0.  ^__^

How do you feel about her, though?  Is she at where you want her to be?  'v'