Gentoo is the best Linux distro ever, no lies

Started by zwakbs3, March 06, 2022, 08:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwakbs3

Wracked my brain around and around for a whole week to get MATE + Compiz running, not to mention the >16 hrs long compiling time. At least I get to enjoy some nice stuff, might hijack Bedrock into my build though.
fun is fun

Hālian He/him

I don't have the brain space to get Gentoo working the way I like, or the patience to wait for everything to compile. :( So I stick with Arch (or more specifically Artix) instead.

zwakbs3

Quote from: Hālian on May 01, 2022, 04:26:36 PMI don't have the brain space to get Gentoo working the way I like, or the patience to wait for everything to compile. :( So I stick with Arch (or more specifically Artix) instead.
You can shorten the compiling time up, by using e-profiles with shorter names (say, we have the amd64/17.1 profile and the amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome/systemd profile. You can take the profile with the shorter name (amd64/17.1) to shorten the time, but if you want to use GNOME + SystemD, you'll have to use the profile with the longer name (amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome/systemd), which also means that you'll have to wait for a longer duration of time).
Just read this, you'll thank me later
fun is fun

zwakbs3

Quote from: Hālian on May 01, 2022, 04:26:36 PMI don't have the brain space to get Gentoo working the way I like, or the patience to wait for everything to compile. :( So I stick with Arch (or more specifically Artix) instead.
also, why not try installing it in a VM? that way, you can learn something new and keep it separate from your stuff
fun is fun

Hālian He/him

Quote from: zwakbs3 on June 07, 2022, 10:37:52 PMalso, why not try installing it in a VM? that way, you can learn something new and keep it separate from your stuff
That doesn't change the lack of brain space or patience necessary to get it installed, let alone working the way I like.