A rise from the ashes - more OS-tan concepts!

Started by Aurora Borealis, May 05, 2019, 04:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

After a long time, I'm back for drawing more OS-tans!

Many years ago, a concept for an AMIX (Amiga Unix)-tan was proposed, but had not been designed.
What was established: She is deceased, and was a stepsister to Amiga-tan and the Commodore-tans. She was strict and unforgiving, and didn't get along with Amiga-tan. There was a storyline idea where AMIX-tan was briefly resurrected by Plan 9-tan so that she and Amiga-tan can reconcile. This suggested that Amiga-tan felt guilty over AMIX-tan's death for being her competitor, and that they argued the last time Amiga-tan saw AMIX-tan alive.

Technical details:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Unix

http://www.amigaunix.com/doku.php

AMIX-tan and Amiga-tan had a rivalry because of clashing personalities, and becuase AMIX was designed to be an alternative to AmigaOS with no compatibility layer to run AmigaOS programs, but was also meant to compete against other workstation OSes. Her primary competitors among the workstation OSes were Solaris-tan, NeXTSTEP-tan, and IRIX-tan, and the DEC-tans.

-Had more success in the education market serving as a teacher to college students, but it was short lived.
-A sorceress who knew a lot of unique spells (AMIX had several unique Unix commands).
-Wore a military uniform with a cape. Her outfit is red, grey and blue.
-Carried a magic wand decorated with a small globe, and a pair of red and blue ribbons.
-Was forced to retire in 1993 when her company support was dropped.
-An early supporter of open sourcery, although she couldn't entirely commit to it (components of AMIX were open source, but weren't free software because of proprietary licensing for the entire OS).
-Outcasted by most of the Unix Family, but was exempt from fighting in the Unix Wars because of her affiliation with Commodore.
-Her support for open sourcery caused her to be shunned by most of the Unix Family. She looked for students to mentor who could fully commit to open sourcery before she died. In 1992 or 1993, she may have met Linux-tan and was one of her earliest mentors.
-Died in 1994, and quickly after Commodore's bankruptcy.

Hālian He/him

If emulatability = resurrection, as hypothesized elsewhere, then Amix-tan lives again, thanks to being able to install her in (properly configured) WinUAE.

Bella

I remember hearing that story now. Must've been why her name is familiar...

Really digging the direction you've taken with her design! I'd love to see a picture of her and Amiga-tan in her cadet uniform. Might draw that...

stewartsage

A tangent in that direction: The Commodores reenact The Village People's In The Navy.

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: Halian on May 05, 2019, 06:33:28 PMIf emulatability = resurrection, as hypothesized elsewhere, then Amix-tan lives again, thanks to being able to install her in (properly configured) WinUAE.

It's interesting that AMIX wasn't very successful but maintained just enough of a following to have a site that throughly documents it, and to build an emulator! Said site even says that the only reason to try AMIX is curiosity!

She could be brought back again, and I'm okay with that, but could that be done without cheapening her and Amiga-tan's backstories? I feel the same way about bringing Apple I-tan back from the dead and how that would affect Apple II-tan's, Apple III-tan's, and Lisa-tan's backstories because her death affected them so much. I headcanoned that Apple I-tan, AMIX-tan, Xenix-tan and some others as existing as ghosts. They're not completely gone from existence, but usually can't interact with others.

Multics-tan was established as the first deceased OS-tan to be resurrected in 2007, when she became open source. Now that other long-deceased OSes have had emulators built for them in the past few years, now I'm curious about whether the rules about OS-tan death in our fanon continuity are changing to where death is not always final? The justification is there. If an OS isn't completely forgotten, or its hardware is preserved with old mainframes, it won't truly die.

Quote from: Bella on May 05, 2019, 08:33:41 PMI remember hearing that story now. Must've been why her name is familiar...

Really digging the direction you've taken with her design! I'd love to see a picture of her and Amiga-tan in her cadet uniform. Might draw that...

Thanks! I plan on coloring this and just need to finalize the color scheme of her outfit. I like to see a picture together of them too! If they're to be drawn, what would they be doing? AMIX-tan was originally proposed as being a student that Amiga-tan mentored, or it may have been the other way around. Amiga-tan tried to get along with just about everyone, but that could've been difficult with AMIX since they ended up competing against each other a lot. I'd imagine that if the two of them had a portrait taken together, getting both of them to smile for the camera may have been hard for them. I'll be excited to see what you come up with if you decide to draw this!

Their rivalry when one of them was supposed to be the mentor to the other, and that they had different markets they competed in may have been the result of mismanagement.

Quote from: stewartsage on May 07, 2019, 04:04:47 PMA tangent in that direction: The Commodores reenact The Village People's In The Navy.

I had to look up the music video for that, but I can see it now. I can see them wearing the sailor uniform from that video and dancing on a ship!

Bella

I think when dealing with ressurecting -tans, a certain amount of creative liscense is necessary, and a judgement call needs to be made about whether it makes a storyline more interesting to leave them dead or keep them alive.

stewartsage

Part of why I'm okay (more or less) with MTS-tan coming back is there wasn't really any story connection to her death.  One day, she was just gone.  If there's an OS-tan afterlife she may be pretty hesitant to return from it, since presumably KRONOS and BUIC are there.

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on May 09, 2019, 04:29:48 PMIf there's an OS-tan afterlife she may be pretty hesitant to return from it though, since presumably KRONOS and BUIC are there.

When you put it that way, it's actually kinda sad.

Aurora Borealis

AMIX-tan in color! The color scheme of her outfit is similar to Amiga-tan's cadet uniform, but with muted colors to show her similarities and her differences compared to Amiga-tan. The background is based off of design elements from the AMIX box and manuals. The darker shade on AMIX-tan's outfit is similar to the color of the AMIX installation disks.

Thinking of her backstory more, she has similarities to A/UX-tan while being her opposite too. Both from the Unix bloodline, Sys V specifically. Both of them are stepsisters to another family, and were mentors to their stepsisters they were the most similar to. Both were also exempt from fighting in the Unix Wars, but weren't taken seriously by the other Unixes. AMIX-tan could've been taken seriously if it weren't for her interest in open sorcery before it started to become acceptable among the Unixes. A/UX-tan didn't have a chance at being taken seriously because of her personality, but she wasn't competitor against her own students!

QuoteWhen you put it that way, it's actually kinda sad.

It is. :( Do KRONOS and BUIC have any chance of being resurrected like MTS does?
I agree now that it's a judgment call whether certain OS-tans should be resurrected. I'm fine with leaving that open-ended.

An OS-tan concept I had notes saved for, but hadn't drawn: Cray-2-tan

-Hot-headed, pressured to be an overachiever by Cray-1, but suffered many setbacks and tough competition during development. (development started in 1979, released in 1985)
-An excellent multitasker and fast thinker. (Had fast memory, and could process large datasets quickly)
-Was the fastest and most powerful supercomputer until 1990. (Clock speed of 244 MHz for a computer released in 1985)
-Despite her power, she had a lot of design problems, and her body had to be rebuilt multiple times, and she felt like a failure for not living up to some extremely high expectations. (The Cray-2 had to be rebuilt due to design problems, and was intended to be 10x faster than the Cray-1)
-Overheats easily and has worse overheating problems than Cray-1-tan. Always carries a cooling tank, or is seen in the water.
-Primarily uses water-based magic.
-Worked for the Department of Defense, the Department of Energy, has worked in nuclear research and sonar development.
-Doesn't mind practical jokes. (The Cray-2 was nicknamed "Bubbles", and there were running gags by Cray-2 users such as putting "No Fishing" signs on the cooling tanks, or putting plastic fish in them)

Appearance: Has a similar hairstyle to Cray-1-tan, but with dark blue hair and dark gray eyes, and wears a 19th century style swimsuit in black with gray accents, and with blue panels on the skirt, like the panels Cray-1-tan has on her dress. Wears a lot of metal hair pins referencing the circuit cards being joined by Z-pins or pogo pins.

stewartsage

AMIX looks even better in color!

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on May 11, 2019, 07:29:20 PMIt is. :( Do KRONOS and BUIC have any chance of being resurrected like MTS does?
I agree now that it's a judgment call whether certain OS-tans should be resurrected. I'm fine with leaving that open-ended.
No, unfortunately.  BUIC was pretty thoroughly destroyed after shut-down and I've never heard a peep about KRONOS media still existing.  CDC's equipment was popular, no question, but it doesn't have the devoted user cult that DEC products do to the best of my knowledge.

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on May 11, 2019, 07:29:20 PMAn OS-tan concept I had notes saved for, but hadn't drawn: Cray-2-tan

Name: Cray-2
Debut: 1985
Height: 188 cm (6'2")
Hair color: Dark blue
Eye color: Dark gray

-Hot-headed, pressured to be an overachiever by Cray-1, but suffered many setbacks and tough competition during development. (development started in 1979, released in 1985)
-An excellent multitasker and fast thinker. (Had fast memory, and could process large datasets quickly)
-Was the fastest and most powerful supercomputer until 1990. (Clock speed of 244 MHz for a computer released in 1985)
-Despite her power, she had a lot of design problems, and her body had to be rebuilt multiple times, and she felt like a failure for not living up to some extremely high expectations. (The Cray-2 had to be rebuilt due to design problems, and was intended to be 10x faster than the Cray-1)
-Overheats easily and has worse overheating problems than Cray-1-tan. Always carries a cooling tank, or is seen in the water.
-Primarily uses water-based magic.
-Worked for the Department of Defense, the Department of Energy, has worked in nuclear research and sonar development.
-Doesn't mind practical jokes. (The Cray-2 was nicknamed "Bubbles", and there were running gags by Cray-2 users such as putting "No Fishing" signs on the cooling tanks, or putting plastic fish in them)

Appearance: Has a similar hairstyle to Cray-1-tan, but with dark blue hair and dark gray eyes, and wears a 19th century style swimsuit in black with gray accents, and with blue panels on the skirt, like the panels Cray-1-tan has on her dress. Wears a lot of metal hair pins referencing the circuit cards being joined by Z-pins or pogo pins.

That's a solid design, Aurora.  More Crays can only be a good thing.  How long before people start stacking things on a sleeping Cray-2.

Aurora Borealis

That's sad to hear that KRONOS and BUIC. :(

I'm making a Cray-2-tan concept sketch now and am revising it from my first description and found some more trivia!: http://www.cpushack.com/2018/05/27/mainframes-and-supercomputers-from-the-beginning-till-today/

The skirt of Cray-2-tan's outfit will be modeled after the panel layout on the Cray-2. The lower panels on the Cray-2 can be customized like the larger panels of the Cray-1. Also the Cray-2 is a lot smaller than I thought it was, so Cray-2-tan will likely have to be a lot shorter that she was listed.

The coolest trivia I found were these:
Quote from: undefinedInterestingly, the Cray-3 was modeled on Apple's computers, and Apple in its turn bought a Cray supercomputer to assist with the design of its PCs.
I don't have a concept for a Cray-3-tan but she would've died young, and would've been inspired by the Mac House, and they were inspired by her.
Quote from: undefinedThe Cray-2 capacities were used in such blockbusters as "Star Wars", "Jurassic Park", "Terminator 2: Judgment Day", etc.
I want to reference this somehow. I can't decide how yet, but I thought this was awesome!

Bella

For some reason, your description of her having a customizable skirt makes me think she should have some quilt panels (or maybe patches) on her skirt referencing the movies she helped with. Just a thought.

Aurora Borealis

I had some difficulties trying to incorporate references into her outfit, but I like the idea that she would have other outfits in a similar style with references to the movies she helped with.

Concept sketch:

Hālian He/him

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on May 27, 2019, 01:59:41 PMAnd for a Jurassic Park reference... Hmm...
Her stand is 「Mr. DNA」? /shot

Bella

What's on her back? She looks good, I like this design.