On Topic[less]

Started by DustiiWolf, November 27, 2013, 10:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krizonar

Quote from: PentiumMMX on August 04, 2014, 04:02:35 PM
Wouldn't Apple I-tan's last name be Wozniak; given that Woz was the lead designer of the Apple I?
Very oddly, yes, it would have a different last name than all the others due to its complete design by him.

Quote from: winduko on August 04, 2014, 04:21:16 PM
Oh. I didn't know that. Thank you.

He was the leader for the Lisa project, but was also the leader of the Macintosh project at a later time. It's alright, it simply had me puzzled.

Bella

The (proto-Macintosh) Apple family are all surnamed Appletree (English) or Ringo (Japanese) according to Aurora.

And I'm deferring this to her, since they're her (hers' and C-chan's, in some cases) designs and while i'm okay modifying the "canon" -tans slightly here and there, I don't feel it's a good idea to mess around too much with other people's personal designs w/o their agreement.

In other news, can we talk about how much of a Boston Marriage Whirlwind and MTC-tan have going on?

For the uninitiated, a Boston Marriage was a historic social phenomena involving two women living together independent of male support in a time period when this was exceedingly rare. It was considered very progressive and perhaps a little taboo; the women involved were generally intellectuals, social-progressives and feminists who sought to free themselves from dependance on men. It didn't necessarily involve a romantic or sexual component, although I imagine it occurred in some cases.

>Literally live in (greater) Boston
>Be Whirlwind and MTC
>Be highly educated engineer & nurse (probably closer to nurse-practitioner [a.k.a. almost-doctor] with midwifery skills too), respectively
>Live together in same residence for years. Do normal, coupley, domestic things together.
>Have & raise several children (at least two of which biologically belong to the both of them)
>Be dependent on each other (MTC needs Whirlwind for monetary support, Whirlwind needs MTC for medical care, they both need each others' companionship)
>Bonus: Unintentionally found a new faction (DEC) and whole new freaking class of computer-tans together (minicomputers are their heirs)
>Be best friends, soul mates, life partners
>But somehow simultaneously not be gay for one another
>Because you're both married to your respective fields of work

Nichi

Interesting; I've never actually heard of that concept before, but it is interesting, and does seem to fit those two :3

Also, didn't know there was already a last name for the pre-Mac Apple-tans. Good to know, if they ever pop up in my stories -w-;

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on August 04, 2014, 04:40:20 PM
The (proto-Macintosh) Apple family are all surnamed Appletree (English) or Ringo (Japanese) according to Aurora.

And I'm deferring this to her, since they're her (hers' and C-chan's, in some cases) designs and while i'm okay modifying the "canon" -tans slightly here and there, I don't feel it's a good idea to mess around too much with other people's personal designs w/o their agreement.

I'm going to pull you aside before you go full retro mode, possibly slipping into an ancient romance novel I would need to consult Leopard on due to my cluelessness.

I see on this chart (that I have not seen prior to now) that Hisca is apparently the accepted name for System 3, but that System 4 and System 7 have "no names." While it makes me happy a name I came up with seems accepted, I find this odd, as, along with Hisca, I came up with names for both of them as well, being Semm (System 4) and Pleiades (System 7).

I wonder why one name I came up with was adopted but the others are still "(none yet)", slip of the mind?

Bella

Quote from: Krizonar on August 04, 2014, 05:00:21 PMI wonder why one name I came up with was adopted but the others are still "(none yet)", slip of the mind?

I imagine they were most likely accidentally overlooked. Especially since Aurora created the majority of the chart (I contributed names for some of my and Stew's characters, since those are the only I can speak with confidence about) and she seems to have supported most of your Mac-tan contributions.

The only other explanation is she already had/has names in mind — although I can't recall any proposals. Not that it's my area of expertise, mind you. ^^;

Quote from: Krizonar on August 04, 2014, 05:00:21 PM
I'm going to pull you aside before you go full retro mode, possibly slipping into an ancient romance novel I would need to consult Leopard on due to my cluelessness.

Funny you should mention needing to consult Leopard-tan, I've considered writing "history" texts written from her point of view. :P

Quote from: PentiumMMX on August 04, 2014, 04:59:44 PM
Interesting; I've never actually heard of that concept before, but it is interesting, and does seem to fit those two :3

Boston Marriage has always fascinated me, since it seems like such a progressive and novel concept for that time period. I also find romantic friendships pretty interesting, since it closely mirrors relatively "new" ideas of sexuality, romance and relationships. (For instance the sexual—romantic divide, asexuality, queer-platonic relationships and other things that have only began to enter the sphere of wider public knowledge.)

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on August 04, 2014, 05:15:49 PM
I imagine they were most likely accidentally overlooked. Especially since Aurora created the majority of the chart (I contributed names for some of my and Stew's characters, since those are the only I can speak with confidence about) and she seems to have supported most of your Mac-tan contributions.
Ah, I see, that's perfectly fine, I know Aurora is very busy, was just curious to why it was like that. Then again, I actually havn't updated my Apple family tree in years. I'm bad :P

I was actually immensely happy she seemed to like the names and general story tweaks I came up with all those years ago. I was super surprised and highly humbled in general when people I knew were OSC forumers came and were like "I liek dis".

Quote from: Bella on August 04, 2014, 05:15:49 PM
Funny you should mention needing to consult Leopard-tan, I've considered writing "history" texts written from her point of view. :P
Well when you start talking pre-Apple history I lose my place. I need a guide, an adult, halp. Such texts would be very useful.

stewartsage

Just as a point of reference, none of what Bells says about Whirlwind and MTC is actually in my stories or could be inferred.  Namely because I ignored making an MTC-tan before writing most of the parts Whirlwind has appeared in so far because she didn't seem very important.

Whirlwind is less 'married to work' and more 'unsure if she can or should feel attraction to other sentients', what with being a very early -tan and all.  At least in my own works the first generation were basically confused adolescents when it came to romance/love because they sort of just sprang into existence with a complex set of emotions, etc. that were "human" while they most definitely weren't, despite outward appearances.

Bella

It's to be expected, considering you created one half of the family (Whirlwind, SAGE) and I the other (MTC, TX-0 and PDP-1). I reject your claim that MTC was insignificant however, considering it was Ken-motherflippin-Olsen's first computer and contributed heavily to TX-0, TX-2 and the PDP-1, which were essentially the first "modern" computers (in the sense of being fully interactive, configurable and more oriented toward single-user use) and earliest ancestors of the machines residing in our homes today.

That said, you've never written (or perhaps more accurately, released) any work that contradicted what I've said. And nothing I've written runs contrary to anything you've released, a conscious decision on my part. Even if it did, however, all we know about Whirlwind-tan is written from the point of view of modern-day SAGE, a supremely unreliable narrator — considering her memory is swiss cheese by the time she gets around to chronicling her life.

Going by real-life historic occurrences, we have the fact that Whirlwind and MTC contributed equally to their descendants, that MTC was vital in the operation/upkeep of Whirlwind and was the first computer Ken Olsen designed, undoubtedly shaping his vision for DEC. All of these things are fairly straight-forward to translate into OS-tan terms — I don't see what the ambiguity could be.

Quote from: stewartsage on August 04, 2014, 05:54:51 PM
Whirlwind is less 'married to work' and more 'unsure if she can or should feel attraction to other sentients', what with being a very early -tan and all.  At least in my own works the first generation were basically confused adolescents when it came to romance/love because they sort of just sprang into existence with a complex set of emotions, etc. that were "human" while they most definitely weren't, despite outward appearances.

Isn't this a tomatoes/tomatoes situation?

Is being, let us say, romantically non-inclined due to various external factors (work interference, past bad experiences, trauma, etc.) functionally different from being romantically non-inclined due to internal factors like personal biology or psychology ("born that way")? Furthermore, does being unsure of ones' romantic feelings necessarily make it impossible, or even unlikely, for romantic feelings to exist?

Especially when placed in a situation with somebody who's going through essentially the same set of circumstances (MTC-tan).

Chocofreak13

Quote from: Bella on August 04, 2014, 04:40:20 PM
while i'm okay modifying the "canon" -tans slightly here and there

*hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiss*

Quote from: winduko on August 04, 2014, 04:21:16 PM
Good idea. In my fanon it's her maiden name.

>Wozniack is supposed Maiden Name
>Rest of Macs are Jobs
>Implying there was a marrage somewhere along the line

THANKYOU FOR PLANTING THE SEEDS OF JOBS/WOZ YAOI, KID
click to make it bigger

winduko

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 04, 2014, 09:28:30 PM
>Wozniack is supposed Maiden Name
>Rest of Macs are Jobs
>Implying there was a marrage somewhere along the line

THANKYOU FOR PLANTING THE SEEDS OF JOBS/WOZ YAOI, KID

oops

To be fair, it doesn't apply to my fanon. Wozinak is only Apple I-tan's maiden name, while everyone else is McUll in my fanon. Apple I married a guy named Steve McUll (named after both Woz and Jobs thank you).

but that doesn't sound like a bad idea even if it isn't canon at all in my fanon.

it's actually a good idea

a very good idea

Bella

Since I meant to reply before, but I forgot:

Quote from: Krizonar on August 04, 2014, 05:29:28 PM
Ah, I see, that's perfectly fine, I know Aurora is very busy, was just curious to why it was like that. Then again, I actually havn't updated my Apple family tree in years. I'm bad :P

Yeah, probably just an oversight! It's a pretty big section so it's understandable that things could get forgotten/passed up.

...tbh I feel like a lot of mine need editing too. I've made enough changes to my -tan family structure (particularly the DECs) that it probably warrants an overhaul.

QuoteI was actually immensely happy she seemed to like the names and general story tweaks I came up with all those years ago. I was super surprised and highly humbled in general when people I knew were OSC forumers came and were like "I liek dis".

I had a similar experience when I joined OSC. I was sure I wouldn't fit in because I had a lot of original ideas, but lo and behold C-chan, Aurora, Tsubashi and countless others welcomed me with open arms. It was great!

There's always been a pretty strong sense of acceptance for people who're just willing to talk about OS-tan matters, create and world-build in general. It's a pretty small fan community, so every member counts even if we don't always see totally eye-to-eye on our interpretations of the OS-tanverse. :D

QuoteWell when you start talking pre-Apple history I lose my place. I need a guide, an adult, halp. Such texts would be very useful.

Yeaaaah, it gets pretty ... confusing past a point. I would really like to write a sort of introductory text (written in an in-universe style) and maybe some infographics and stuff. Call it "UNDERSTANDING COMPUTER CULTURE: A Guide For Humans" or something like that. But I really don't know where to start. ^_^;;

........ On a totally unrelated note, I was roaming around Wikipedia earlier and this describes Linux/Unix affection eerily well. Now I want to draw knight!Linux and queen!Unix........... >_>

winduko

Quote from: Bella on August 04, 2014, 09:53:02 PM
There's always been a pretty strong sense of acceptance for people who're just willing to talk about OS-tan matters, create and world-build in general. It's a pretty small fan community, so every member counts even if we don't always see totally eye-to-eye on our interpretations of the OS-tanverse. :D

I'll admit that not our seeing eye-to-eye on things is, in fact, rather helpful to me. Discussing the major differences between our universes helped me brainstorm for my universe. I find that this kind of disagreement has, if anything, made progress.

The disagreements have helped my fanon significantly, and I hope it continues to help it even more. :)

Bella

I'm glad to hear it. Different viewpoints can spark ideas and story directions which would never have occurred to us without them, or at the very least offer some food for thought.

winduko

My OS-tan universe is a WIP, and it always will be. Then again, aren't all fictional universes that way?

My brother kinda looks like ME-kun and ME-kun is hella adorable so now my brother's hella adorable.

I didn't tell him to do that. He doesn't need to know just how much of a weirdo I am.

Aurora Borealis

I don't know how much I have to contribute at the moment, but I've been reading through this. I like that there are different personal canons that are still a large part mutually compatible with each other, while not trampling over the Japanese-established canon.

However, OSC canon has a different Windows 1.0-tan than the Japanese canon does, and I think that's okay, if we refer to them as OSC!1.0-tan and Futaba!1.0-tan. Apparently, both characters were created around the same time (I remember seeing some of the Futaba!1.0-tan drawings back from 2006, but didn't know that was a 1.0-tan design), but we didn't know of Futaba!1.0-tan until much later.