Official Internet Explorer-tan

Started by Pikawil, November 06, 2013, 12:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustiiWolf

She has a facebook and twitter.
https://www.facebook.com/internetexplorertan
https://twitter.com/inori_Aizawa

There is also a homepage with a search bar for multiple engines (some anime related) and an anime news ticker at the bottom. She cries if you're not using a newer version of Internet Explorer (pre-9 IE, chrome, firefox, etc...)
http://www.internetexplorertan.com/home/
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Krizonar

*hands her a bottle of water to stave off imminent dehydration*

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Krizonar on November 25, 2013, 06:30:57 PM
*hands her a bottle of water to stave off imminent dehydration*

In what way would Inori becoming dehydrated be imminent?

Krizonar

Even for an anime character, the amount of crying she must do daily is no doubt quite extravagant.

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Krizonar on November 25, 2013, 06:39:27 PM
Even for an anime character, the amount of crying she must do daily is no doubt quite extravagant.

XD lol.

Never thought about it that way.
When roughly %70 of the web uses something other than IE, i guess you're right!

Bella

Inori's profile sounds very much like generic moeblob anime girl, which isn't necessarily /bad/, but isn't novel, well-developed or any better than the canon OS-tans or Nanami, either. Honestly, after spending so much time working with non-canon-tans / semi-canon-tans (Linux, various Mac-tans, etc.), the "canon" ones all tend to seem a tad generic. Thankfully, various artists have breathed life into the canon designs and made them more than they originated as, so they same might happen to Inori in time.

Quote from: NejinOniwa on November 23, 2013, 10:48:40 PM
While I'm not going to vent too much on the other stuff - which may be good or bad depending on your preferences - the fact is indeed that she HAS reached western audiences more than any other -tan I've seen to date. We will only see in time what this means for the fandom, though.

What he said, I'm far more curious about the fandom implications of Inori than Inori herself.

Krizonar

Quote from: DustiiWolf on November 25, 2013, 06:55:47 PM
When roughly %70 of the web uses something other than IE, i guess you're right!
Since it is impossible for me to use IE, she is continuously bawling her eyes out.
I gave her a bottle of water out of sympathy.

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Bella on November 25, 2013, 07:51:14 PM
Inori's profile sounds very much like generic moeblob anime girl, which isn't necessarily /bad/, but isn't novel, well-developed or any better than the canon OS-tans or Nanami, either. Honestly, after spending so much time working with non-canon-tans / semi-canon-tans (Linux, various Mac-tans, etc.), the "canon" ones all tend to seem a tad generic. Thankfully, various artists have breathed life into the canon designs and made them more than they originated as, so they same might happen to Inori in time.

What he said, I'm far more curious about the fandom implications of Inori than Inori herself.

Theres a few things that could happen:

• Inori causes a subfandom of OS-tans, the "Inori/IE" fandom

• Inori introduces thousands to OS-tans and revitalizes the OS-tan fandom in the west, increase in interest teaches fans about older -tans over time

• Inori introduces thousands to OS-tans and revitalizes the OS-tan fandom in the west, but the fandom is split into two factions: New -tans that are official, and old -tans.

• Nothing Happens :\

Hopefully #2 happens. I think a sudden surge of people interested in OS-tans could be used to educate people on the fandom and the pre-official tans. It could also make things more lively and interesting. I also think the fact that Inori is fan made could further help #2.

I also think, going slightly off topic, that while the official ones are a bit more generic, it moves things along and makes it a bit easier, in a way. If i'm not mistaken, after XP, there really wasn't a widely excepted "canon" OS-tan for the newer versions of windows, and seven didnt have one until Microsoft adopted Nanami Madobe. So while it does mean things become more generic, it allows for there to be a widely accepted version of the -tan, while still allowing fan made versions in smaller communities. It also means we can actually get themepacks and other goodies :)

Quote from: Krizonar on November 25, 2013, 08:26:45 PM
Since it is impossible for me to use IE, she is continuously bawling her eyes out.
I gave her a bottle of water out of sympathy.

Awwww. Poor Inori.:(  You do know MS has free VM's for trying IE though, right? IDK how they work, tho...

Chocofreak13

dude, kriz uses mac.

frankly, I could still care less about inori. the newer versions of ie annoy me, anyway (damn browser, constantly capitalizing my "I"s and pre-correcting my spelling like my damn iphone >>; ) and, not to say I don't like renewed interest in the fandom, but anticipating a surge seems like a stretch. if it does happen, though, i'll be scared. scared for both the interruption of established characters and scared for the influx of idiot newbs. some of us have been at this for half a decade or more now. >>;

btw, Vista and 7 both had canon -tans. it just took awhile since while the other OSes had already come out when the OS-tans were initially made, the Vistan rush was due to every artist wanting the fame that came with being the "creator" of Vistan. eventually 3 designs stuck for 3 versions of Vista (I believe Visbou represents Home, Vistake represents Enterprise and Chivistan represents Ultimate. there's also an odd Egyptian one representing Business, she seems to have been adopted as minor but canon).

bear in mind that when it comes to -tans, it's not about MICROSOFT "accepting" a -tan to make it canon. it's whether or not the fans do. after all, if we just accepted whatever the company shoved down our throats, this site would be about Microsoft's legion of Lego-ripoff abominations.

you should also remember that 7 has an alternate -tan, a couple in fact. or do they not count because they're not "official"?
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on November 25, 2013, 09:40:06 PM
dude, kriz uses mac.

frankly, I could still care less about inori. the newer versions of ie annoy me, anyway (damn browser, constantly capitalizing my "I"s and pre-correcting my spelling like my damn iphone >>; ) and, not to say I don't like renewed interest in the fandom, but anticipating a surge seems like a stretch. if it does happen, though, i'll be scared. scared for both the interruption of established characters and scared for the influx of idiot newbs. some of us have been at this for half a decade or more now. >>;

btw, Vista and 7 both had canon -tans. it just took awhile since while the other OSes had already come out when the OS-tans were initially made, the Vistan rush was due to every artist wanting the fame that came with being the "creator" of Vistan. eventually 3 designs stuck for 3 versions of Vista (I believe Visbou represents Home, Vistake represents Enterprise and Chivistan represents Ultimate. there's also an odd Egyptian one representing Business, she seems to have been adopted as minor but canon).

bear in mind that when it comes to -tans, it's not about MICROSOFT "accepting" a -tan to make it canon. it's whether or not the fans do. after all, if we just accepted whatever the company shoved down our throats, this site would be about Microsoft's legion of Lego-ripoff abominations.

you should also remember that 7 has an alternate -tan, a couple in fact. or do they not count because they're not "official"?

I may of incorrectly used "canon". I meant i hadn't seen a tan for each of the OSes that was widely accepted by the majority of the fandom. I still cant seem to find a straight answer on which tan represents vista and what she looks like (tho there is a lightly used Vista tan by Microsoft that sometimes "borrows" Nanami's official twitter, but MS would rather forget Vista and move on, so you dont see much of her), and Nanami is the most common used, and from what it appears to me from my perspective, accepted  tan for 7.

And of course fans need acceptance. Microsoft should take that into account when making official tans. If they were just mass producing tans for every product, shoving it down our throats, and saying "accept this", itd be taking advantage of the fandom, and it'd essentially be using it for the soul purpose of getting us to buy their products. It would be consumerism, not a fandom. I actually think thats why MS didnt adopt inori till she became relatively popular, and hadnt made a tan for IE official before.

And as far as the mac thing, thats why i recommended the VM's. Microsoft released Virtual Machines, mainly targeted at web devs, to try IE so they could make sure their websites work properly.

Bella

@Kari: From what I can tell, the Nanami/Silverlight-tan/Inori/etc. fandom is quite, if not completely, separate from the OS-tan fandom; it seems like a lot of fanartists who are into those characters don't produce OS-tan artwork, and vice-versa. This may not be totally surprising given the fact that they've never been billed AS OS-tans, and plenty of people who are aware of those characters may be unaware that OS-tans are even a thing. I doubt Inori will introduce an influx of newbies of the OS-tan fandom (even with the mentions of OSC, lulz), after all, Nanami didn't exactly have that effect either when she was introduced 3 or 4 years back. I think we're safe and sound on that account. :)

Krizonar

I personify and become attached to most things.

When I first received my Mac Mini, it being the first Computer I really felt attached to as it was not a hand-me-down from my parents or any other sort, but a completely brand new computer, I wished to personify it in my image.

From this thought process and need, I quickly found out that there is a fandom for personifications of the sort. Pink-haired Leopard is my favorite of her forms.
Unfortunately I spent upward of 3 years merely lurking this site, merely ooh and ahhing and taking in all Mac Tan information. I could have joined as early as 2007 had I not been shy.
Then later I was encouraged to join by a couple friendly people.

That is how I myself came to arrive on the site, as a user, at such an odd time. I wasn't drawn in by a release, but by example that fandoms of the sort DO exist. The new IE-tan may not bring a "surge", but hopefully it allows people to see that something they like exists and other people like it too.

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Krizonar on November 26, 2013, 12:54:56 AM
I personify and become attached to most things.

When I first received my Mac Mini, it being the first Computer I really felt attached to as it was not a hand-me-down from my parents or any other sort, but a completely brand new computer, I wished to personify it in my image.

From this thought process and need, I quickly found out that there is a fandom for personifications of the sort. Pink-haired Leopard is my favorite of her forms.
Unfortunately I spent upward of 3 years merely lurking this site, merely ooh and ahhing and taking in all Mac Tan information. I could have joined as early as 2007 had I not been shy.
Then later I was encouraged to join by a couple friendly people.

That is how I myself came to arrive on the site, as a user, at such an odd time. I wasn't drawn in by a release, but by example that fandoms of the sort DO exist. The new IE-tan may not bring a "surge", but hopefully it allows people to see that something they like exists and other people like it too.

that's a really good way of putting things! ^_^

Chocofreak13

Quote from: DustiiWolf on November 25, 2013, 09:58:03 PM
(tho there is a lightly used Vista tan by Microsoft that sometimes "borrows" Nanami's official twitter

evidently you still misunderstand that there IS a vista-tan. here, HAVE SOME LINKS.

Quote from: DustiiWolf on November 25, 2013, 09:58:03 PMAnd of course fans need acceptance. Microsoft should take that into account when making official tans.

if you're still focused on ONLY the "official" -tans, then idk why i'm even debating with you. bella said it best that the Microsoft "-tans" are, at best, divorced from the ACTUAL -tans produced by the FANS. the FANS started this -tan trend, and frankly, any character with the moniker -tan is likely a fan creation.
as far as i'm concerned, the only "-tan" out of them I actually consider a -tan is nanami. and even then, i'm still open to the alternatives instead of adopting a narrow viewpoint of ONLY one -tan to each item.
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on November 26, 2013, 11:19:55 AM
evidently you still misunderstand that there IS a vista-tan. here, HAVE SOME LINKS.

I see 3 different characters. Which ones are what version, or are they all supposed to represent the same vista?

Rant Contained Within: ShowHide
Quote from: Chocofreak13 on November 26, 2013, 11:19:55 AM
if you're still focused on ONLY the "official" -tans, then idk why i'm even debating with you. bella said it best that the Microsoft "-tans" are, at best, divorced from the ACTUAL -tans produced by the FANS. the FANS started this -tan trend, and frankly, any character with the moniker -tan is likely a fan creation.
as far as i'm concerned, the only "-tan" out of them I actually consider a -tan is nanami. and even then, i'm still open to the alternatives instead of adopting a narrow viewpoint of ONLY one -tan to each item.

So, if i understand, you're saying that the microsoft "tans" are not tans at all? Did you forget that Inori was a fan creation?

Yes, I was talking about the "official" tans, which you so despise. We ARE in the inori thread, which is an official tan, after all. I'm sorry, but a tan is a tan. Just because sega made sonic doesnt mean he isnt an anthropomorphic animal, and just because vizio made a tv doesnt mean its any less of an entertainment device. So by the same logic, just because Microsoft made a tan, it doesnt mean its any less of a tan. And even at that, Microsoft didnt make Inori!

Your thinking is utter backwards and it drives me insane. I like OS-tans, old and new. Im fond of 95-tans appearance, in fact. Shes probably my favorite 'classic' tan. But its bullshit when i want to talk about something i like within a group of a people who are fans of the same topic/thing (aka: a fandom), yet those very people essentially tell me i cant because i like a specific aspect of the fandom that no one else likes. Its angering.

Yes, tans were originally fan made.
Yes, microsoft making tans/adopting tans takes some of the fun out of it.

But what did you expect? That a multi-million dollar corporation wouldn't catch on that thousands of people were making what essentially were mascots for their products ? Seriously?

I feel very unwelcome here. Every little thing that has to do with the new, official tans, thats talked about on here you have to go bashing it or talk about how you dont like it or you think its bad for the fandom or how stupid it is or etc. etc... I cant even make a freaking edit to the wiki without you contesting it!

Its no wonder the OS-tan fandom is practically dead on this side of the world. A vast majority probably are more aware of tans like Inori then they are the classic tans, and as such people in this so called "fandom" practically wont give them the time of day when they want to talk about it. I almost hope Inori starts a new fandom. That way people could actually enjoy os-tans for os-tans, instead of b****ing about how microsoft keeps adopting and/or making them. A fandom is supposed to be, generally speaking, enjoyable to be a part of, and overall, the topic that fandom centers around is supposed to be, generally speaking, enjoyed.

END RANT

NOTE: My sincerest apologies to the other os-tan collections members that are reading this. Some of you have actually been quite nice and understanding, stating that even though you are not thrilled about and are a bit wary of the official tans, you still accept them as tans none the less and are actually willing to discuss the potential impacts of the official tans on the fandom. To these users, i thank you, and i deeply apologize if any of you are offended.