Official Internet Explorer-tan

Started by Pikawil, November 06, 2013, 12:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pikawil

Just found this out on NeoGAF. As you can tell from the uploader of the video, this is definitively official.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHTUlF7NA2o
https://www.facebook.com/internetexplorertan

DustiiWolf

*abruptly reappears out of nowhere*

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Modern IE-tan! :D
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Chocofreak13

i'm skeptical, but at the very least we have an IE10-tan.

are they on version 10 or 11 atm?
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on November 06, 2013, 04:24:57 PM
i'm skeptical, but at the very least we have an IE10-tan.

are they on version 10 or 11 atm?

11 and its confirmed to be microsoft marketing with this so they are really starting to hit the target advertising here

Look, our gallery is up at the top under favorite websites
http://www.internetexplorertan.com/home/crying.html

Chocofreak13

that's kind of creepy that microsoft listed our gallery under the favourite sites. you sure it's OUR gallery and not one of theirs?
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on November 07, 2013, 12:37:32 PM
that's kind of creepy that microsoft listed our gallery under the favourite sites. you sure it's OUR gallery and not one of theirs?

Checked it and it goes straight to ours, I'm not using IE so its not possible from my knowledge for the website to know my browsing history.

We are probably the biggest community when it comes to OS-tans so the possibility that they know of us isn't surprising to me, plus they probably just have an algorithm on the site that goes out and fetches certain websites with keywords relating to OS-tans and Anime which are scanned through and confirmed.

This is Microsoft marketing and they probably found us with a few keywords and a complex algorithm in which they sifted through the results finding our gallery to be very relevant to their marketing since its a huge database of OS-tan pictures that we try to keep up to date.

Yay internet

Chocofreak13

undue attention, especially from big companies, makes me uber-nervous. the more i learn about this IE-tan the less i like her. >>;
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on November 07, 2013, 01:21:07 PM
undue attention, especially from big companies, makes me uber-nervous. the more i learn about this IE-tan the less i like her. >>;

The website is just putting up links at random every time its opened, meaning the chances of getting our gallery is very very low given how many websites they probably have linked.

I don't see why you would be nervous, its not like Microsoft is attempting to cause trouble on any basis and I'm sure if we wanted to we could ask them to remove our link.

Isn't it a good thing that OS-tan's are getting some more attention after being such a niche market? Though it is nice being unnoticed and a somewhat closed in community...

Chocofreak13

it's a double-edged sword. we have become accustomed to being a small, closed community. this isn't a bad thing; indeed, it has brought us closer and actually made getting new material for the gallery and whatnot easier since there are fewer people to share links with. being smaller also means we know each other more, so we know any information brought in is researched and accurate.
getting bigger means more publicity, yes, but it doesn't do much to guarantee further growth/well-being of the site and the fandom as a whole. we already have plenty of sources for art, and 9 times out of 10, the only new theories brought in either completely ignore or challenge well-established ones. (case in point, a pic i found years ago on DA of a girl who "made a character for windows XP". she thought she was being original.) i don't mean to sound anti-social, but for a fandom this old to swell as much as it would were we noticed by a big medium, i just don't see it ending well. at the very least, new members likely would only know about the "official" -tans, leading to a large divide in the fan community.

it was Syndrome that said, "When everyone's Super, no one will be."
click to make it bigger

Balrith

Drew her.

I haven't really liked any of the OS-tans that microsoft has come up with. :/

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Balrith

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on November 07, 2013, 04:41:40 PM
do you like HER, though? :\

IE-tan? No.
But I had an idea and a reference image so why not?
Guess I should have been more overt in my bullying.

To me, the last real OS-tan was Vistan. The "official" OS-tans and now IE-tan that Microsoft came up with are clearly just marketing tools and it's to the point that I don't think of the two as the same fandom.

Krizonar

I think she's cute.

(Though obviously rude, Internet Explorer daring to refer to herself as an upgrade over my tans. pfft)

Nichi

Given how we have IE-tan and Firefox-tan, why don't we have Lynx-tan?
Somebody, make this happen

Chocofreak13

opera-tan we'll always be my bro. we're FM radio.
(that would actually make more sense with firefox, but hey, this is my post.)

Quote from: Balrith on November 07, 2013, 05:43:46 PM
IE-tan? No.
But I had an idea and a reference image so why not?
Guess I should have been more overt in my bullying.

To me, the last real OS-tan was Vistan. The "official" OS-tans and now IE-tan that Microsoft came up with are clearly just marketing tools and it's to the point that I don't think of the two as the same fandom.

to be fair, Nanami wasn't ALWAYS a marketing tactic, as she was originally Fan-created. though how they came up with the cash to hire Nana Mizuki, i will never know. she was the last "unofficial" tan and the only one of the "modern" -tans i really like. sorta goes with my software preferences too, lol

Quote from: Krizonar on November 07, 2013, 05:50:31 PM
I think she's cute.

(Though obviously rude, Internet Explorer daring to refer to herself as an upgrade over my tans. pfft)

you can't expect IE-tan to be very tactful or classy when 99% of IE-tan pics from the past involved some kind of panty flash, lol. xD;

@pent: start conceptualizing, man. that's how all the -tans came to be. -w-
click to make it bigger