Introduction to anime

Started by SleepyD, June 21, 2006, 05:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepyD

Haha, sorry, not an airsofter, but I know a few who are.  And Triela does rock.  I like Claes personally, but Triela's up there. ^^

Ok, about Ouran High School Host Club: Even though it seems like it caters to only fangirls and bishounen... it's still funny.  They make fun of the bishie cliches.  ^^

And CaptBrenden, that made me laugh out loud.  Really it did.  And the I had to tell my sisters why I was laughing and they laughed. haha

CaptBrenden

poor sleepyd.. so miss guided.. its obvious that Henrietta is the best.  Claes takes up second.  

But im glad my dtory about my decent into geekdom made you laugh :P
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Xyanide

rofl @ at the sergeants reaction Brenden

Guys!! i'm kinda disappointed that nobody mentioned the Samurai Pizzacats, it was one of the first anime to be released here in the west I think ;) and i watched that a lot!
even though the dub made no sence at all I was able to find me some episodes not too long ago, it's more like the dubs were done according to what happens in the episode...they didn't translate or anything rofl

Anyway after that the next anime I watched were Dragonball Z and Gundam Wing (really liked gundam wing because of the depth)
After that Dragonball GT and then it took a long time before cable broadband internet was available for me, I only have it for like 1,5 year now

Anyway ever since I had it I've been watching anime, I think I watched  about...55 anime series in that timespan lol
So yeah...i'm pretty hooked on anime :P

and yeah I agree henrietta is definetly the most kawaii and kickass of the gunslinger girls :P

FFViper

Well as for starting anime... how I got into it... lets see...

Pretty much Sailor Moon when I was little till I couldn't figure out what time it was on anymore (I was little then).  When I was older and was getting Nintendo Power, got the promo video of Pokemon like six months before it hit US.  That seemed interesting (you know it was when you first saw it.) and of course when it came out watched a bit of it... found out how repetitive it got and left again.

Saw like A episode of CardCaptor Sakura when it was on the WB, saw a good deal of Digimon on Fox.... but even then I still wasn't that into it.

Then Gundam SEED, I thought the concept was pretty nice so I guess this is when I started to take an active interest.  I didn't get to see much at all cause changing times (my lack of cable TV).  Till I moved down South and my parents finally did get cable (along with cable internet.)

The BIGGEST change was when I got to me a friend from the UK for the first time (we met via in-directly from another friend and became friends ourself).  He visited... bring along his 160 GB hard drive... full of anime.  I got to see SEED completely through and then began to learn about downloading them... and things went to hell from then.

I went back and got Sailor Moon *I WANTED to see it completely*, got CardCaptor Sakura.  My anime addiction then spread from that point on.  I got into the manga when I read about the difference between CardCaptor Sakura from the manga to the anime... and thats been steady.

SO ya thats how I got introduced.

CaptBrenden

you gotta love a little girl that favors the FN P-90.. i loge that gun :D

SleepyD

well you got me there, the FN P90 pwns.  I fell in love with the thing before I even knew what it was called when I watched that first ep.

But I still like how they use some of the older weapons.  (Like Triela's Model 1897 Trench Shotgun)  ....Did she ever fire that? o_O

CaptBrenden

well im a big fan of shotguns too.. i carried one in araq with a bandolier of shells.. but the P-90 is hands down the coolest sub machine gun out there.. even if it does us a weird round size.  I got a full metal airsoft one on order!

Myrdin

What the hell? A full metal P90? The real one has an almost entirely polymer receiver.
The ammo it uses isn't wierd at all. The 7.62x25 Tokarev cartridge is a similar design and it's well over 60 years old. I personally think the 5.7 is based on the 7.62 Tok but don't care enough to confirm it. The P90 is a great design but it has some funky ergonomics. Some people just never get the hang of it. The magazines are also not good for field use; if bumped too hard they eject all the bullets.

Does the L22A2 count as an SMG? If so, that's my favorite.

CaptBrenden

we shoudl creat a guns thread cus this is going off topic... XD

SleepyD

haha go for it Cap'n XD

In that case I'll go back on topic.

Someone here mentioned Samurai Pizza Cats, and that person needs to be praised for reminding me of that. ^^

CaptBrenden

i seen some of that.. but i wasnt aware that it was the first.. i thought one of those voltron shows were or something

SleepyD

I don't believe it is the first either, but hey, it's pretty old.

I'm pretty sure Speed Racer (Mach Go Go Go) is older. haha

CaptBrenden

ive never seen speed racer -_-

CyberRamses

I have seen Speed Racer and recommend it!

I also recommend Gintama, Witchblade and Afro Samurai.

Raffaele the Amigan

First japanime I saw in TV was Vickie the Viking in september 1977  (Chiisana Viking Vikke). I was unaware that it was japanese production.

Vikke or Vickie, or Viki is a character born by swedish author of books Runer Jonsson.

I believe it was a German or even far north TV cartoon production (Danish, or Swedish, or maybe even Finnish)

Then it was followed by Heidi (Alps no Shojo Heidi) in Jan 1978. The great Hayao Miyazaki was the character design director, and then I knew Heidi was japanese due to the main titles in the openings and endings.

Heidi was created by swiss book writer Johanna Spyri.

And third one in Italy was a great surprise for me... Goldrake (Grendizer) serialized in april 1978.

The name of the tv serial was "Atlas Ufo Robot", and when I spotted the name on the TV magazine, I became curious, because I was really  addicted by UFOs in '70s as any kid, and more addicted into the phenomenon of UFO due to english TV serial "Invasion: UFO Spacecommand S.H.A.D.O." a live TV serial by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson, the two people who created puppets of Thunderbirds and Stingray, and then they were dealing with real human actors and magnificent PVC and metal models stop-motion special effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO_(TV_series)

(Image too Big? Just follow the links)

http://ufoseries.com/videos/jVhsDistruggete.jpg

Both Goldrake and UFO were a real revolution.

I never regret my curiosity that made me follow first episode of Goldrake.

Until the arrive of Goldrake on italian TVs were running only american (Hanna & Barbera cartoons were the best) and east-european cartoons. There were also some french one, and little italian cartoons like Calimero the little black cockrobin. Other countries were poorly represented.

Goldrake was a real event here. All kids all joung people stopped their activities, run home to see Goldrake in that half an hour.

A true revolution! Giant robots, Mecha, Real characters, stunning evil aliens well depicted, and more... the hero killed for real his enemies.

We kids were AMAZED!

Then it came a rampage of anime in Italy.

Due to the phenomenon of free-private local TVs (over a thousand private TVs transmitting in locations not great than city limits or "county" limits), and the raising of private networks we italian kids consumed from 1977 to 1989 all japanese anime productions starting from 1959 upto 1989.
(Then we got in pair with japan productions because there were nothing left of ancient cartoons).

I remember that even 2 or three cartoons still in "Black and White" were recycled from japanese to be sold on italian market.

It was a real bonanza for us kids, because TV copyrights were sold "once and for all" in those times, so any broadcast nation-wide private TV could run a cartoon for literally dozens of times, and then they sold it to little local TV broadcast who runned it again and again, and again for years and years.

But true it was also a MASSIVE ATTACK BOMBING of japanese culture.

Since then I was really addicted by japan anime.  ;010

The top clue of all my career of Otaku was with Gundam 0079, when I saw this historical scene:

Damn! I finish all bullets!

No more infinite weapons, rockets and bullets in anime!  o_o

In that precise moment I realized that the anime world was at a turning point. Not anymore just only fantasy, but also realism!

Gundam was not only a cartoon. It was a possible true war story represented in anime!

;019  ;019  ;019

Since then I saw almost anything coming from japan in both form of anime and manga.
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]