Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

God dammit. I don't really know what else to say.

Chocofreak13

it's the depression talking, but i don't even fucking care anymore. it's not like your everyday person can even do anything about this shit, it's just our creepy-ass, bigoted, racial profiling government at work again. i'm voting Sanders and that's all i can really do.
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

Yo check CNN right now, deadliest mass shooting in US history happened last night.

Bella

Not just a mass shooting, it's a probable hate crime (it occurred at a gay club) and possibly radical Islamist terrorism (the assailant is being reported as having foreign terror ties, although I haven't heard anything substantiated yet).

I really, desperately hope this doesn't get painted by the media as "another mass shooting" or "typical American gun violence", it's clear that the shooter had a deep hatred for gay people (the motives for which still not known) and very specifically targeted them. Fuck anyone who portrays this as anything less than an act of terror against the gay community.

Nichi

Lego told me about it earlier, and while I was out, there was an ad on the radio about the news and to tune into a different station for ongoing coverage...and then immediately after, Trivium's Dead and Gone began playing; which, admittedly, did kinda work if you pay attention to the lyrics, which contains the line "will you keep on fighting when I am dead and gone?" in the chorus (It's not like they suddenly began playing Filter's Hey Man Nice Shot or something else distasteful right after breaking the news).

Anyway, enough about the oddity of my radio, and onto the actual incident itself. Some of my cousins on my dad's side of the family live in the Orlando area, and while I don't think any of them would have been there, it's still concerning; since it's possible that friends of theirs could have been affected by this in some way. Hopefully, all of them are safe.

Red-Machine

Quote from: Bella on June 12, 2016, 04:41:22 PMI really, desperately hope this doesn't get painted by the media as "another mass shooting" or "typical American gun violence"

Too late...
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

That's scary Pent, I hope your family's friends are safe. I feel so bad for everyone involved right now.

According to the news the assailant called 911 and pledged alliance to ISIL during the shooting, he'd also been interviewed by the FBI on numerous occasions for suspected support of ISIL.

Quote from: Red-Machine on June 12, 2016, 05:15:09 PM
Too late...

It's so frustrating, gun violence and mass shootings are huge issues in the US but it's obvious this shooting is different from the 'random act of violence' or workplace massacres that are (relatively, and sadly) common. The only thing I can compare it too right now is last year's Charleston shooting, which was an act of racially-motivated terrorism, or possibly the San Bernadino shooting.

If the shooter really does have ties to foreign terror that will put it in an entirely different category.

LeaflameSD

apparently the orlando shooter was secretly gay

Goujer (she/her)

I heard that as well, it definitely makes more questions then answers.

Red-Machine

So Britain voted to leave the EU.  Let the period of uncertainty begin.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Mexico has a wall along its border with Guatemala, and apparently often shoots people trying to get over it.  Yet they're up in arms about Trump building a wall along the Mexican border. #hypocrites

Chocofreak13

It may have to do with the additional friction about it. there are already barriers, including partial walls, along parts of the border. demanding a country to pay for something that's targeting them in a frankly, racist, way, when you're the only one to benefit, is shitty and gross. plus, more Mexican people now go BACK to Mexico than come here. beyond that, the bulk of undocumented immigrants don't come over land borders, they overstay legal visas, such as school or travel. so the entire thing is misguided, much like 99% of what Trump seems to do or believe. :\
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

http://spekr.org/

This is a very interesting political spectrum test.  It provides an assessment of your beliefs at the end and details the banner you fall under.  I'm a centrist.

Bella