Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeaflameSD

Bella

Quote from: Pitkin on April 21, 2013, 03:27:18 AM
Opinions on site members - former or current - do not belong to Hot Button Topics. It's not politics, religion or comparable. If anywhere, the Relationships or Topicless threads are appropriate for them, and even there outright bashing is not welcome.

Keep it civil. Personal problems between people can be taken care by Private Messages, by angry Skype calls or by a duel in the dawn. Mind you, I'm sleeping until noon so not available for the latter.

Hear hear. I'm deeply uncomfortable talking about anyone here (former or active) outside of mentions of conflicts I had with them, things I like about them, etc. Certainly not full critiques of their character.

For the record, I like all OSCers. Granted, some (most?) have done things I've found annoying, myself included. But I'll always have respect for anyone who finds and joins this site in the first place. 

Moving on then: Have we ever talked about cursing / swearing?

I swear like a sailor online, but I'm far less pottymouthed offline. I basically refuse to curse in front of "adults" / older people.

Nichi

My mom, given her background, is very very anti-swearing (Or "cussing", as people in the south say). Like, a simple "damn" in front of her is enough to trigger her :\

As for me, while I occasionally use swear words in conversation, I typically avoid them in more public locations, and use them rarely in my stories (Only when I feel using it adds emphasis to what is being said). Although I don't use them often, myself, I don't have a problem with those that do; after all, I do enjoy watching the Angry Video Game Nerd, and swearing is one of his trademarks.

LeaflameSD

Spoiler: ShowHide
Finally! *phew* I thought this thread was going to crash and burn...

I don't really swear in public, around people, family, or just outside the internet for that matter.

I fucking hate some people who fucking go fucking overboard with their fucking swearing just fucking because they fucking find it so fucking funny that they think they have a fucking right to fucking abuse the English fucking language. All in fucking all,

Yeah. One thing I wouldn't recommend is to swear in front of people who get easily offended.

Chocofreak13

Spoiler: ShowHide
for the record, "opinions about ____" mostly translates into people's thoughts on the incident and what could have been done to prevent it/the aftermath/etc. but fine, paint me as the bad guy here. >>;

swears are just words with a bad name. at one point Humbug and Bohunk were swear words, but these days they may be considered humourous. while i just read that F*** and S*** were used as swears since the 1700's, these days they're becoming more and more commonplace, and thus more accepted. tbh, i could care less what other people think about me anyway, so i swear when i feel like it. the only times i hold my tongue is in front of little kids (12 and under) and elderly people (70ish and older). i doubt i'd swear in front of a nun, but well, every nun i've seen has been elderly anyway.

@swears in writing: i write in swears as the story calls for it. let's take Ace, for an example here. Ace is the leader of a 20's-type gang, so being a gang boss, he's known to have a rougher tongue than, say, a student council member. that's not to say he works completely blue, however; considering he's still a nice guy, he doesn't really drop any F-bombs. but words like "damn" and "hell" are just slang to him. (his catchphrase is "What Deh Hell?!" for fuck's sake. xD )
click to make it bigger

SleepyD

Quote from: PentiumMMX on April 21, 2013, 11:40:45 AM
My mom, given her background, is very very anti-swearing (Or "cussing", as people in the south say). Like, a simple "damn" in front of her is enough to trigger her :\
I hear the terms cussing/cursing/swearing used interchangeably around here, so I'm curious if it's a term that originates from the South.
But yeah, I can't imagine living in that environment while still immersing yourself in online culture. I'd accidentally slip a curse in by virtue of being exposed to that language all the time.

Quote from: LeaflameSD on April 21, 2013, 12:08:36 PM
I fucking hate some people who fucking go fucking overboard with their fucking swearing just fucking because they fucking find it so fucking funny that they think they have a fucking right to fucking abuse the English fucking language. All in fucking all,
As I've mentioned before, I went to an all boys high school. Most of them who spoke like that weren't doing it to be funny, it's just how they normally spoke. (Granted, this quoted sentence would have been overboard, and would have been taken as comedic) Still, a big part of it is the environment they grew up in.

Oh, as for me, I don't curse all that often, but I have no qualms doing so. IRL, more often than not it'll just come out as a slip of the tongue. Many are surprised if I curse, especially if they only knew the "goody-two-shoes" side of me. And many only have that image of me. A nice, pure(hah) kid that never does anything wrong. Online, I have more control when I curse, and it's usually only there to highlight the emotion I'm trying to convey.

My current cursing in real life is a remnant of the fact that cursing in regular conversation was normal in my high school. Call it code-switching for an all-male environment, if you will. In college, it was less intense, but since the engineering school is at least 70-80% male, the casual cursing continued somewhat.

Again, environment. My cursing has toned down a lot more since, but it's still there.

Simonorged

swearing is not really a "bad" thing per say, all it is is time and place. You gotta know when.
Simon was here :P

Chocofreak13

just like it's not okay to show your tits to a class of third graders, it's not okay to curse at them either. there's a time and a place for everything. -w-
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on April 22, 2013, 02:01:23 PM
just like it's not okay to show your tits to a class of third graders, it's not okay to curse at them either. there's a time and a place for everything. -w-
Hear hear.

I don't like how my little sister is swearing at 2 though ;.__.
It's because my brothers and cousins curse around her and junk.

Chocofreak13

that's how i got started, actually, my cousins and parents and uncle all swore like sailors. they got all shocked when i started doing it too, but these days it's just a part of language. i don't even notice it anymore.

though tbh 2 is a bit young. please don't let her end up like one of my cousins, whose first word was "fuck". :\
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Well...

I went to visit my clone once when he was doing an exchange year in Minnesota. From what I've heard of him, his host remembered me as "the guy who swore all the time", among other things. I mean, I probably swear more than the average swede, too, but even newspapers are foul-mouthed in this fair country. There's really not much taboo about it, save for with some very very old people. AND the churchy types, I guess, but those are a rare breed these days...

So yeah. By virtue of being a viking, I swear a lot, regardless of language. It's in the blood, I guess.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

WHOO ANOTHER REASON TO INVOKE MY SWEDE BLOOD
click to make it bigger

Simonorged

Simon was here :P

Chocofreak13

i want to find someone to punch and scream "TAKE THAT, ASSWAD!!" much the way peter griffin punched a kid and say "TAKE THAT, MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE!!"

><;;;;
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on April 22, 2013, 02:08:13 PM
though tbh 2 is a bit young. please don't let her end up like one of my cousins, whose first word was "fuck". :\
It's too late ;0_0;

And I skimmed through that article, and what the principle is asking for the victim to do is totally unacceptable.
Why put a girl at risk just because you have a star basketball player on the school team? >.>

Is it weird that I didn't react to this AT ALL, even though it does urk me?