Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cockleshell

insert quickly-redacted defense of tumblr after realization that it really is a shitty hugbox for TERFS
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Pitkin

And what if I were a Tumblr SJW who didn't participate in harrassment and bullying? Some of the content in the last few posts here make me wonder if the sort of aggressive abuse happens outside Tumblr as well, eh.

This site doesn't necessarily feel like a safe space for everybody either, and it makes me very sad. :/

Nichi

I'd say it exists outside Tumblr, as well; I've seen people doing this sort of thing on most larger forums for years, although what makes it worse for Tumblr is that they project a false image of being a "friendly, accepting place", which at one time was true, but isn't so true nowadays; if you say even one thing that they deem out of line, you're automatically worse than Hitler and need to be crucified for your hate crimes.

As far as those not joining in the bullying, they do exist, but given Tumblr's reputation at this point, they feel like a drop in the sea compared to their more vocal counterparts; "not all SJWs", if you will, although they're in a situation where, if they tried to call out the hypocrisy of the majority, they'd promptly get bullied until either they leave or their life is completely destroyed. Really, it's a problem with any large group; the assholes are going to make all of them look bad, so the ones that are genuinely good have to struggle to get people to realize they're not like them in spite of using the same label.

As for this site...I don't want to reopen any old wounds, but it does feel like for some, it's not that safe; given how many have left the site due to disputes with other users, or times where a flamewar would break out for any little reason (Although, this feels less frequent now), or times where one user would get attacked for doing a thing, but another, favored user can do the same thing and not face any negative backlash for it.

Cockleshell

well, we tend to morph our online personalities to fit what other people post, especially on online forums in this style, it's been a place of opinionated arguments and shit-slinging claims for years, im not talking about exclusively osc but having been part of forum communities like this, it really tends to get unfiltered incredibly fast
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Chocofreak13

i view this place as almost safer because we're so small. an intimate community. it makes it that much worse when we lash out at each other or don't step in when needed. (a stinging betrayal, if you will.)

tumblr as a whole is getting to the point where it's nonredeemable in its actions. sadly it's still the 'hip' place to post things, and a lot of artists/writers/creative people as a whole go there to post their stuff. plenty of other people have found support there for various issues, everything from mental illness to social awkwardness. and then the SJWs come in and try to save one group while attacking another. at this point i consider the term SJW pejorative and if i'm referring to someone who's ACTUALLY championing a marginalized group's rights, i just call them a Feminist. because honestly, Feminist is a great catch-all term.

shit like this, though, this is why we can't have nice things. this is why certain people shouldn't be allowed to have a voice. and i feel bad even saying that, but those are the people that are going to say i'm 'appropriating' Japanese culture by attempting to learn the language, spearheading an anime club, and drawing mangaesque eyes on my characters.

there's a very fine line between being an ally to someone and being an asshat trying to feel special.
click to make it bigger

Bella

I'm stating the obvious, but the internet allows people an amazing capacity to be complete dicks.

If I thought people behaved IRL like they do online I would be damn near afraid to leave my house. The fortunate thing is, most people don't. Coming from somebody in CS, which, according to the internet, is an ultra-misogynistic boys club of clueless white bros ... it really, really doesn't fit the stereotype. Yes there's a gender imbalance, which sucks because gender imbalance is never a good thing to have in any field, but most of the men I've dealt with are, at "worse", accepting of female students and at best friendly and vocal about having better female inclusion in the field. I've never felt particularly othered or marginalized (which is something I've always been worried about because I'm damn girly) and throughout five semesters of college in two separate institutions, I've had consistently positive social interactions with fellow students and faculty. Not once have I felt my gender has put me at a disadvantage.

I'm not as active in the liberal arts side of college so I have less experience with that side of things. Social justice has a pretty bad rap on the internet (thanks to SJWs, who are about as much for social justice as PETA is for animal rights), but most people I've discussed things like gender, sexuality and race with have been consistently thoughtful and sympathetic and - I daresay - normal. Anti-racist, pro-feminist, accepting of LGBT people, generally decent, common-sense things most people accept now. I've not once met a person who claimed superiority of their race, gender or sexuality, I've never met a radfem, a quadgender pyrofoxkin, a militant atheist, a 2edgy teenage communist, or any of the other sort of stereotypical radical lib-arts types. They're probably out there, somewhere, but they aren't the norm either.

TL;DR People are generally a lot more normal IRL than they are online.

Quote from: Penti-chan on October 26, 2015, 01:26:54 PM
I'd say it exists outside Tumblr, as well; I've seen people doing this sort of thing on most larger forums for years, although what makes it worse for Tumblr is that they project a false image of being a "friendly, accepting place", which at one time was true, but isn't so true nowadays; if you say even one thing that they deem out of line, you're automatically worse than Hitler and need to be crucified for your hate crimes.

Honestly, if they (SJWs/tumblrites who engage in hateful behavior) owned up to their own prejudice, I wouldn't be half as irritated by them as I am. The fact that they pretend to be open-minded, accepting and progressive when they're actually pretty close-minded and regressive in many regards is what pisses me off. Hypocrisy and zero self-awareness is not a good combination.

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on October 26, 2015, 02:50:31 PMthere's a very fine line between being an ally to someone and being an asshat trying to feel special.

I couldn't have said it better myself...

Chocofreak13

i really hope this artist doesn't go the way of Mahou Shonen Breakfast Club. s/he needs a MASSIVE dose of community support and some counseling, asap. ;^;
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

I wish there was more girls in computer science classes, sometimes it feels like there's just a bit too much testosterone in some of my classes. But hey, I've noticed that I'm one of the only guys in my Speech Language Hearing Sciences class.

However I have seen some people acting out around campus that seems like something you'd find on some sketchy website or some social justice forum. For example on 9/11 this year there was a plethora of Christan activist groups saying things along the lines of "Our lack of faith in Jesus caused 9/11 and it is our sacred duty to punish the Muslims for doing this" which is way out of line, especially since there is a very large Muslim population on my campus.
I've also heard from my roommate that his TAs in his video game journalism class has gone out of her way to take over the lecture and talk about how video games objectify women, and how Mario is the worst of them all. I'll admit I don't like how often women are the ones that need to be saved, but it's a game and I'm pretty sure most people won't think any less of anyone if they see them needing to be saved in a game.
Other than that the only other weird things I occasionally see are furys (rare), people singing in public at the top of their lungs (common), communists handing out flyers and waving a banner that says "Marx was right", and people whistling at a tree. College is weird.

Chocofreak13

college is totes weird.

i didn't live on campus, so i didn't really soak up the experience (plus it was art school), but the weirdest thing i ever saw was a flyer posted advertising a lecture/comedy thing about a professor in favour of pot. or something like that.

there was also an Aperture Science advertisement with tear-away tags with numbers. but i digress.
click to make it bigger

Cockleshell

i get the full college insanity experience and let me tell you its sure an experience

Chocofreak13

how are things going with that bitch down the hall, btw?
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Legojer on October 27, 2015, 12:28:08 AM
However I have seen some people acting out around campus that seems like something you'd find on some sketchy website or some social justice forum. For example on 9/11 this year there was a plethora of Christan activist groups saying things along the lines of "Our lack of faith in Jesus caused 9/11 and it is our sacred duty to punish the Muslims for doing this" which is way out of line, especially since there is a very large Muslim population on my campus.

There are Christians of some denomination or another who sometimes set up a small table with pamphlets and stuff on the commons, however they seem respectful and only speak to people who are interested in what they're "selling" (i.e. they don't harass people passing by). I'm surprised nobody stepped in and stopped those people on your campus, what they said sounds dangerously close to being, if not outright, hate speech.

I've also heard from my roommate that his TAs in his video game journalism class has gone out of her way to take over the lecture and talk about how video games objectify women, and how Mario is the worst of them all. I'll admit I don't like how often women are the ones that need to be saved, but it's a game and I'm pretty sure most people won't think any less of anyone if they see them needing to be saved in a game.

I'd be seriously curious if she has gamed regularly in, like, the last 20 years. Seriously, how is Mario even close to being the most sexist thing to come out of gaming?

Other than that the only other weird things I occasionally see are furys (rare), people singing in public at the top of their lungs (common), communists handing out flyers and waving a banner that says "Marx was right", and people whistling at a tree. College is weird.

I guess it's fortunate that the weirdest thing I've seen on campus is a man in a Santa outfit playing frisbee.

I'm not sure what I'd do if I encountered somebody handing out communist literature. I'd be tempted to call them out on it and tell how my family was killed by communists, and possibly complain to student affairs or some other organization like that, because I really don't see how proselytizing for one political movement that has accumulated a body count in the high tens of millions is okay while, say, a Nazi doing the same would be rightfully pelted with trash and driven off campus. Then again most Edgy Teen/Twentysomething Marxists seem to have little comprehension of what communism actually entails beyond "no property and no capitalism" which seems to somehow mentally translate to "NO WORK AND FREE STUFF FOR EVERYONE!", so the comparison may be a little unfair.

The only public singing I've actually witnessed has come from my professor, ahahaha.

Nichi

Quote from: Bella on October 27, 2015, 08:00:58 PM
I'd be seriously curious if she has gamed regularly in, like, the last 20 years. Seriously, how is Mario even close to being the most sexist thing to come out of gaming?

It's because he rescues Peach all the time, most likely. I mean, wearing metal bikinis, or having your only contribution to the game be "tits & ass" but you could otherwise be cut from the game and it'd have no effect on the gameplay or storyline, is nowhere near as bad as being a damsel in distress. >>;

Chocofreak13

@bells: how exactly did your family die, if you don't mind my asking? Communism is a nice thought experiment and works on paper, but in practice it's a horrible government model, because people are, at their core, greedy fucks. if they were killed by Bolsheviks, Gulags, or Stalin's policies, though, then the Marxists are innocent there---his model of Communism was warped into the one the USSR used. :0
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

Yesterday the communists were actually screaming at the top of the lungs asking people to rally for communism in the upcoming elections. I'm sure they had a great turn out.