Member made Troubled Windows Anime???

Started by DustiiWolf, November 03, 2012, 08:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustiiWolf

(I only found one similar topic on this board but its focus was different and has been dead since early 2007)

I know you all know of that faked anime opening for "troubled windows", but i was thinking:
"What if us OSC (OS-tan Collections) members teamed up and made a full length (30 minutes) episode of "Troubled Windows"?"

Do you think something like that would be possible?

I think it'd be cool. some members could do scripting. others story-boarding. some could do basic animation, while others could do coloring and cleanup. it would take a lot of effort, but if we got enough members on board i think we could do it!

We could even use a program like MMD to make it (which would replace the last two parts said above)

I also had some ideas (as well as some comic ideas i found from other members that'd be great as scenes in the episode)

I imagined, in ways, the show would be akin to the style of Lucky Star, as far as the over all tone. (More relaxed, a bit comical, viewing the average everyday lives of the OS-tans, focusing mainly on the Windows/Madobe family, but not entirely limited to them.)

Also:
Quote from: Aurora Borealis
Dreamlinux and Linux XP strip completed!

There are a few Easter Eggs in the strip. :P
EDIT: I missed a detail in the last panel (the library catalogue sticker that goes on library books), but if I upload this to the OS-tan tumblr blog, I'll upload the corrected version. I hate when I don't catch mistakes until the image is already uploaded! ><

i think this would be a great (as well as humourous) for a scene in the episode and would fit the tone of the show (the way i imagine it).

Also, to avoid some legal issues, we could try to keep from using OS names and Logos as much as possible (exception for the logos on the outfits) (Im saying this cause i know eventually someone will bring this up)

Sooooo.... what do you guys think? Yey? Ney? (Yah? No?)

(Also, if we DID do this, would it be in English or Japanese? I ask because i figured it would be easier to do it in English, but some may want it to be in Japanese. We'd need enough (fluent) Japanese speaking users to do voices if so.)

I also made this quick photo. its not the best,just something i slapped together in GIMP2.
Official -tans are my bat signal.

DustiiWolf

As far as a visual novel,that sounds cool! sorry its on hold. :(

And i couldnt see this done in any other style. It just gives me that "Lucky Star" feel, you know?

And of course it'd be non commercial.

Chocofreak13

i remember discussing this at some point in the past....

a number of problems arise.

1. the large portion of the OS-tan community knows them without voices. ascribing a voice to a formerly voiceless character (especially one that's been around so long, and has achieved a fan consensus such as this) can sometimes go over well, but in this case would likely be seen as an intrusion into the fandom of the whole thing. with the visual novel, and Nijikaku, there is little to no voice acting involved, meaning they retain the feelings and traits each fan has ascribed to them. the way 2k sounds to me might not sound the same to you, after all. not to mention the fact that Nijikaku already gave them voices, and since they're not enough to sample, and we don't know the voice actors from that game....
with nanami it was different, she had a voice from the start. but take claudia, for example. she was originally intended to be comic-only, and the only videos featuring her with a voice are actually sung by Vocaloid VY1 MIZKI. there was something else like this on the internet at one point, and while half the commenters supported the project, the other half was against it. considering we're debuting a new site soon, we don't want something so potential for backlash attached to us so soon.
                   1a. futaba can be a rather touchy community. after the netrunner and deja vu scandal of 04', it has been shown that anything that adapts the -tans to things outside of
                         their liking usually ends badly. given that 4chan has taken down larger sites than ours before, and 4chan is futaba's american cousin, i'd rather not anger the futaba
                         community.

2. everyone here, while versed in some area of art, lacks the skills or time (or funds) necessary to create something like that. to my knowledge i'm the only one here with any animation experience, and that's rusty and dodgey at best (and solely 2d). if we were to take the MMD route, that COULD work--but no one here knows how to run the program. not to mention there are only models out there for 5 -tans, and not even all the "core" ones, meaning that we'd be out the necessary characters for the animation. i know 2 people with experience in 3d modeling software, but only one well enough to even THINK of asking something so brash, and even then i couldn't because she's busy with her own stuff. there are MMD modeling software out there (as well as tutorials on how to mod and adapt 3D Custom Girl to get the exact look you're going for and to make them useable for MMD, but there's no guarentee they'd match the existing -tans (some of them don't even match each other currently).

3. i'm sometimes astonished by the sheer amount of time you seem to have on your hands. it's impressive, really; i wish i could devote the time you do to my own projects. but that brings me to my point: most, if not all, of us have our own stuff and lives to currently occupy us. a project this massive would require us devoting several hours each day to get it done even within several months. the reason i have little experience in animation is due to the sheer amount of work; the friend i mentioned informs me that it takes 720 frames to achieve 30 seconds at the standard animation rate using flash. that's just not doable on most of our schedules.
                    3a. another topic addressed in this section is flash. i don't own a copy. idk if anyone here does. but it's expensive, like any animation software out there
                          outside of freeware or pirated software. i don't know who has experience with what, and this can present a problem if there isn't consistency across
                          the board. if one of us did each aspect, we wouldn't run into this problem, but that would increase the work per person exponentially. and even if we
                          did all work on one piece at a time, our art styles vary greatly, meaning that consistency is something we're sure to lack.

4. too many other os-tan projects have fallen down the toilet, and i just don't see the need to add on another one.

ps: that friend i mentioned had something to say: "dustii is crazy for thinking 7 people can make something that's 30 minutes that's not a professional team".

EDIT: btw, 2 more things: 1: you don't need to embolden the letters of "OS-tan Collections". everyone here uses OSC as an abbreviation. i even updated my phone's texting dictionary to include it.
2. in the wiki thread, you mentioned you have the "worst excuse for "high-speed" internet in existence". don't. just don't. there are those of us here who would kill for what you have.
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

7 people? So this forum is REALLY down to seven people? wow... *sees tumble weed blow across the webpage*

also, i understand your concerns. actually, the voices thing sounds like something Konata said right out of Lucky Star, which is ironic, since that would of been the style this episode would of been done in.

Futaba sounds like they should be put in their place (not by us though. us 7, now 8 (including me. Good ol *8 lovin' #8 :P)) Because whats the point of being a fan of something if your scared to do anything fan related? Everywhere i read about them and this fandom it makes them seem more or less like giant bullies that looms the threat of exile from the fandom, as well as the taking down of fan-made works, if anyone so much as DARES to make anything they dont approve of. Its not right. Its not fair and not right.

Also, sadly i have no life currently. im stuck at home. i barely get out. i live in the country with a sorry excuse for "high-speed". No license. (never had the time, nor someone to take me to get it) its sad... *sigh* (though if all goes well, i should be moving with someone close to my heart February of next year to Boston, Ma. I will finally be getting a life! ^^) In fact, if i had the skills, effort, and ability, i would seriously of done this myself... but i dont. I may have the creative imagination, but that's as far as it goes.

Who knows... maybe that opening animation would of actually turned into something, but fear of backlash from Futaba left it at just that. a opening animation, nothing more.

Also, how could 4chan "take down the site"?

(*8 As in Windows 8. Its a pun. a lame joke. :P)

Chocofreak13

holy crap, you might be moving to our neck of the woods!? if you do, allow me to welcome you to boston, one of the best cities on the planet. -w-

yes, there are around 7 active members. i use the term "active" rather loosely sometimes, since people might get caught up in their own lives and not post for awhile, etc etc. by my count right now we have 9 people who post at least once a week.

i'm on futaba's side. when it comes to OS-tan, i'm ALWAYS on futaba's side. (unless i hate their design, but they haven't really failed me yet.) in this case, it'd be like taking something near and dear to many people, who hold it in high regard for what it is, and altering it drastically to "make it better". some people might like to see the antique bronze statue in the town square painted in colour, but most of us don't, since we appreciate it for what it is. also, you ARE aware of what 4chan is....right?

and don't feel bad. i don't have my license either. -w-
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on November 04, 2012, 01:28:07 AM
holy crap, you might be moving to our neck of the woods!? if you do, allow me to welcome you to boston, one of the best cities on the planet. -w-

yes, there are around 7 active members. i use the term "active" rather loosely sometimes, since people might get caught up in their own lives and not post for awhile, etc etc. by my count right now we have 9 people who post at least once a week.

i'm on futaba's side. when it comes to OS-tan, i'm ALWAYS on futaba's side. (unless i hate their design, but they haven't really failed me yet.) in this case, it'd be like taking something near and dear to many people, who hold it in high regard for what it is, and altering it drastically to "make it better". some people might like to see the antique bronze statue in the town square painted in colour, but most of us don't, since we appreciate it for what it is. also, you ARE aware of what 4chan is....right?

and don't feel bad. i don't have my license either. -w-

I guess thats understandable. but all im wanting to do is but a few potted plants around the statue. thats all. I mean, how different would it be from fan-fiction. It WOULD be a fan-fiction, in Anime form. ... a FANIME! *coined* :D Im not wanting to paint it. like i said. just some potted plants.

And yes.
Its an image board.
Its popularized a LOT of memes.
It contains a LOT of subcultures, some anime related.

Thats the short and basic description. Still. How could they physically shut down OSC?

And yes. Me and someone dear to me plan on moving in together in an apartment in Boston sometime in February 2013. Im quite ecstatic about it. These next 3 months are gonna be the most grueling 3 months of my life.

EDIT:
Id still like to know other forum members opinions on this idea

Also, what happened to all the other active members? after reading some old topics, it seemed ALOT of people were active years back.

Chocofreak13

fedora wasn't always the owner of this site. ownership transferred sometime in 2005 or 6, i think. back then there were more active members, as they were there from the old days. but as people grow older, or move, or lose touch, they drop off this site, too. i still wonder what happened to some of our members, such as Vae, Smokey, Cockle, and Cappy.....

"fanime" was already a coined term, lol. :3
but seriously, anime is a big step up given that os-tans were comic ready to begin with. after all, you can take any cute anime girl you want and put her into a comic. it's giving her a voice that kinda makes it real, which can go really bad really fast. the flash you referenced was basically just an interactive slide show with some gifs. even the other short flashes in the gallery fly because there's a key difference: none of the music is supposed to be the os-tans themselves.
what you hear in the flash is the song "Sakuranbo Kiss" by the famed j-pop singer KOTOKO. she actually sung "Princess Brave" as well, which was the song on Troubled Windows Season 2 (in the multimedia list as the "alternate opening"; i didn't realize that it was called that, i was referencing a literal alternate version of the first video when i was talking about it in the wiki thread).

4chan is massive. in recent years they have become quite the social movement, with anon protests being organized in different cities to fight against social injustices. mostly though, they keep to themselves until they are wronged. and then they attack. hacks, website raids, viruses, they've done it all. even if i didn't mind crossing futaba, i support them because i think of the os-tans as fundamentally japanese. we should respect what they have laid out.

if you want to expand upon this project, we can't stop you. but just remember that we have our own stuff going on, too.
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

*deep sigh* i...i understand...

(i should quit making threads....)

DustiiWolf

nope. there's nothing....

sorry to fill the forum with a useless thread.

Bella

I wouldn't be afraid of 4Chan/Futaba retribution or copyright issues, but I would be VERY afraid of the project failing because of understaffing/lack of motivation/funding/etc. As the others have said, most of the people on OSC have major obligations that would make devoting a large amount of time and energy to such a project highly difficult. And while most of us have some kind of art background (be it drawing, comic-making or writing), none of us are skilled in animation.

It's a nice idea, but this is simply the wrong group of people to handle such an undertaking.

Chocofreak13

your heart's in the right place, man. but we all have lives that demand our time. trust me, if i had the skills, there are plenty of projects that i've been wanting to take on for years. but i can only do extremely basic animation and i just don't have the time. (my comics ain't gonna make themselves, lol.)
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Fedora-Tan

For the xth time (i feel like repeating myself)

4chan is only making afraid those who want to be. This site is not affiliated with those, and will not be. 4chan is not controlling anything, but if they feel like harming anything, which i doubt they can, i would be more than happy to serve as honeypot for lawsuits against anyone. I'm bored of this constant crap scarecrow. Forums down ? Well seeing the quality of them lately, can hardly say it would be a loss. It doesn't even really deserve the backup / archive lately...

Chocofreak13

fair enough, but that's not to say that they can't harm. i'm not fearful, just cautious. and regardless of 4chan, this project is just a bit too big for this little forum, even if it is a nice gesture.
click to make it bigger

Fedora-Tan

As long as they are not commercial i have no problems with projects.