ostan-collections.net frontpage

Started by Fedora-Tan, October 27, 2012, 02:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

host the website? what do you mean, this site?

and srsly....the download takes that much of a toll? i don't remember it being THAT big, but if you say so...
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on October 28, 2012, 12:40:21 PM
@dustii: i don't want to harbour animocity here. but really, metro isn't right for this site. notice the light blue colour scheme here? it's been here since before i came here, and is reminscent of ME-tan, the first OS-tan. we represent more than 8-tan, and there is quite a bit more artwork of other -tans than 8-tan. metro is ONLY reminscent of windows 8, which doesn't represent the people or the -tans here. we need something NEUTRAL. ><;;

Like i said. Im gonna work more on the preview. try to incorporate more things and get farther away from metro. i understand that metro in and of itself isnt right for the site, i agree, but that doesnt mean it cant incorporate it in some way. My preview was mainly to be a concept. concepts are fluid. they can change
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Pitkin

@Chocofreak: This website, yes. Unfortunately, one of the two being unemployed and having literally zero income while living in a city means that there's not much money to invest into improving the hosting. It's more the contrary recently. :/

Of Nijikaku, while it wasn't the case every month in a year, the 250Mb file topped the bandwith use very regularly when I used to follow the site statistics more closely. It's not just to argue with you.

Fedora-Tan

Chocofreak, I don't think you do understand anything about the hosting of this website. If i say it, i mean it, and it's true. Why do you think i bother myself to host something for free for so many years now ? Actually, i'll nicely remind everyone that i do pay for the hosting, so it's not free for me. At least please respect that.

I try my best to not get upset, but please consider that it's quite something to hear complains about that.

And don't go in whine mode and / or take it personnally, i'm just pissed off to have to justify myself every second posts.

NejinOniwa

I can imagine the Nijikaku file topping the download lists - this is likely the only easily indexed download location for it that's not in japanese, and it's undoubtedly more interesting than the other files for most visitors.

However, what we could do is to upload the new version (once i get it compiled) in torrent or archive form somewhere else (filehost etc), and have a link to it on the download section. Should be easy and cheap as free for all, no?
Since that way we still get indexed as a download location for it, but we don't have to pay for the bandwidth~
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

@fedora: i thought you meant the link to the nijikaku page. of course i know that hosting this site isn't free. i wasn't asking for justification, i was asking for CLARIFICATION. i didn't realize nijikaku was that large. it's been awhile, okay? >:\

if we get it compiled into a .rar, i'm willing to upload it to my mediafire account, if they accept files that large.

if costs are that much a concern, why not reintroduce banner ads? don't the generate a bit of revenue?

also, has everyone agreed that os-tan.net is a good new domain? and what are we doing for the updates, have we decided?
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Okay. Ive REdesigned my preview.
Used blue more
made it less Windows 8-ish while still incorporating metro a bit.
http://ostandemo.99k.org/

OLD preview:
http://ostandemo.99k.org/old/index.html

(screenshot attatched)

os-tan.net sounds good.

DustiiWolf

Chocofreak13

me too. but if i were you, i'd tweak the colours on the squares so that it forms the windows logo (clockwise from top left: red, green yellow, blue). x) and can the background blue be a little lighter? :3

also, can we think of a way to work the irc in there? sorry to be plugging it so hard, but it was a long-running part of the site, and some people might not want to go through the forums to get to the irc. feels slightly counterintuitive. :\

@dustii: ohhh, c'mon. it's not up to me, after all. ^^;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I like it ^_^

Just because I feel like it, I might attempt to make a mock-up of Bella's design just because

Bella

I think it looks quite good Dusti. Though I'd add a little more variety to the characters in the icons - as Pitkin suggested, we want to open this up to more than just the core-canon OS-tans. I think a good mixture of characters would be a canon Windows-tan (probably ME, since she's the most iconic), a Classic Mac-tan (Sonata?), a Linux-tan and maybe a vintage- or mainframe-tan.

Chocofreak13

@bella: i like that idea. if we decide to implement an irc button, maybe we could use a hardware, software, or file extension -tan. .txt-tan is pretty cute.... ^^

@pent: i like that idea, too. having multiple designs is a good idea, so maybe i'll make a sample of the layout i made, too.
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Whats the link to IRC? it used to be on the forum main but i cant find it.

Fedora-Tan

I would think myself that order should be

Wiki - Forums
Gallery - Downloads

I second a smaller yet visible button for IRC, but i don't think it should be as big as the other ones.

I think also some shortcuts like smaller buttons to main tans informations would make it more friendly and encourage people to see according wiki pages. I think we have a fantastic wiki, so let's put it in advertisement !

IRC : http://chat.chat4all.net/?c=28mh06fsthfz4kx

DustiiWolf

Okiedokie. Ive updated my preview. OSx Tiger is Downloads and this Linspire image from the gallery is irc chat in the corner