Any OS-tan comic ideas you want me to draw?

Started by Aurora Borealis, September 23, 2012, 11:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Bella

I know that feel Aurora, Tumblr is a major time-waster. >>;;

Nichi

Thirded. I spend almost as much time on Tumblr as I do lurking OSC ^_^;;

stewartsage

Very late chime in, MONIAC is a WWII era computer.  She was built out of Avro Lancaster parts.

Bella

....... I keep forgetting about MONIAC-tan. >>

Bella

I'm just going to throw this out here - since the fifth anniversary of the creation of Multics-tan is coming up on the 15th, maybe you could do a comic featuring her? I've been trying to work on an inspired-by-true-events story involving Multics-tan and Cray 1-sama (basically, it goes back to the fact that Multics was used on numerous occasions as a front-end systems for Cray supercomputers running COS!), but have been kind of stuck for awhile - at any rate, it would be pretty darn fabulous seeing Multics-tan and Cray 1-sama together in your drawing style.

And there's plenty of opportunity for either humor (Cray 1 and Multics-tan having a fantastic clash of egos and/or fashion sense) or more serious writing (Multics-tan isn't used to being "subserviant" to another OS-tan; how would she react to being a helper for the much larger/physically-powerful Cray-tan?).

Aurora Borealis

Awesome find!

On the dramatic side, Cray-1 didn't like getting help at first because of her ego. I know for sure that RDOS-tan and Nova-tan helped her and they became two of her first friends when she learned to trust others, though that was earlier in her life. I think they could have possibly gotten along, since Cray-1 had already become nicer than she was before, but them getting along and having things in common would have been hard for both to admit due to personal pride, and under the condition that Cray-1 didn't know that Multics is Unix's mother. COS got replaced by UNICOS, suggesting the Unix at some point ruined their collaboration.

Played for laughs, they'd clash over fashions nearly as soon as they met each other, so they turn to designing a uniform to wear as a solution during their collaboration, but argue over what it looks like, drawing over each others' sketches, escalating into throwing crumpled paper balls at each other before scrapping that idea and clash over fashion again.

I'll have to work on this some more, but I've improvised some ideas already!

Bella

I'm really liking both of those ideas! And your dramatic notes have helped me figure out how Multics and Cray-1 might interact with each other in my story, something I'd been struggling with. I was so busy assuming that Multics-tan would feel resentful about being hired as a helper, that I never even considered the opposite - that Cray-1-tan wouldn't necessarily enjoy asking for help.

Incidentally, I also concluded that they would likely be able to get along, even if it took them awhile to see past their feelings of personal pride.

Your idea for a humorous Multics and Cray comic is hilarious! That would certainly make for a great short comic. :D

Aurora Borealis

Thanks! Thought of making it at least a two-parter, with the first part being Multics entering Cray-1's palace for the first time, with Multics thinking that a demon or frost giant lives there because it's very cold, but that's how Cray-1 coped with avoiding overheating. I'll need some help filling the details in the middle of the first part, but Multics turns out to be more insulted by Cray-1's comments on her fashion than being called a puny human, being her servant, or being threatened with having her ass kicked for raising the thermostat. That leads to the bit I proposed in my last post.

I also read your updated version of RSTS' article and the bit about RSTS being a slow to mature OS instantly made me want to make a strip about that! I was thinking a strip where RSTS is visiting the Vintage-tans, showing off her super strength abilities, only for PDP-1 to cheerfully remark that she still remembers when RSTS, despite having been deployed for service still needed help with trivial tasks for years; cue to a flashback of RSTS holding a peanut butter jar and begging for DOS-11 to help her open it, with DOS-11 muttering 'oh for fuck's sake...'.

Nichi

These sound like great ideas ^_^

Looking forward to seeing some of these

Aurora Borealis

Dreamlinux and Linux XP strip completed!

There are a few Easter Eggs in the strip. :P

Nichi

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on October 14, 2012, 04:20:33 PM
Dreamlinux and Linux XP strip completed!

OMG, this looks great! I love what you've done with DreamLinux-tan and Linux XP-tan's designs, and I got a lol out of the Summer Days easter egg. :p

As for the last panel..... accessing awkwardness file, indeed. XD

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on October 14, 2012, 01:56:40 AM
Thanks! Thought of making it at least a two-parter, with the first part being Multics entering Cray-1's palace for the first time, with Multics thinking that a demon or frost giant lives there because it's very cold, but that's how Cray-1 coped with avoiding overheating.

Oooh, that sounds really cool! In the story I was thinking of writing, I originally wanted to have an ice vs. psionic magic fight scene between Multics and Cray-1... but then again I'm horrible at writing fights so that probably wouldn't work out anyway. ^^;

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on October 14, 2012, 01:56:40 AMI'll need some help filling the details in the middle of the first part, but Multics turns out to be more insulted by Cray-1's comments on her fashion than being called a puny human, being her servant, or being threatened with having her ass kicked for raising the thermostat.

That sounds just like Multics, actually. There's not a lot she can do about who she's hired to help, or her physical size, but somebody questioning her creative sense would be a huge insult. x.x

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on October 14, 2012, 01:56:40 AMI also read your updated version of RSTS' article and the bit about RSTS being a slow to mature OS instantly made me want to make a strip about that! I was thinking a strip where RSTS is visiting the Vintage-tans, showing off her super strength abilities, only for PDP-1 to cheerfully remark that she still remembers when RSTS, despite having been deployed for service still needed help with trivial tasks for years; cue to a flashback of RSTS holding a peanut butter jar and begging for DOS-11 to help her open it, with DOS-11 muttering 'oh for fuck's sake...'.

Ahahaha, that would be awesome! RSTS-tan would probably be too mortified to move after hearing PDP-1 recount that story, lol.

Aurora Borealis

@Pentium and Bella: Thanks!

That's one of the Easter Eggs! Summer Days was a Darker and Edgier OS-tan fic, right? I can't remember off the top of my head, but if it is, then Linux XP has quite the taste in literature!

There are two more Easter Eggs on the page. :)

I redesigned Dreamlinux's outfit to look more distinctive

Glad that the Multics and Cray 1 story idea is working so far. Here's a tentative script to the first part:

Quotepanel 1: [Multics is standing outside the door to Cray 1's palace]

panel 2:
   Multics: (thinking) I can't believe I have to be someone's servant. I am an aristocrat!

panel 3:
   [She enters and is still freezing]
   M: What the hell? Does some sort of frost giant live here or--

panel 4:
   [close-up of thermostat, set to 45]

panel 5:
   [A silhouette of Cray-1 appears in Multics' view; from the silhouette alone, Multics knows she's imposing.]
   Cray-1: Don't mess with the thermostat, servant.
   Multics: ... (scared)

panel 6: Close-up of Cray-1
   Multics: (nervous outburst) Oh crap my overlord is a frost giant!!

panel 7:
   Multics: I j-j-just want to-- not freeze to death!!
   Cray-1: Fine. Good enough.

panel 8:
   Cray-1: But if I overheat because you turned the thermostat all the way up to 60, I'm going to kick your ass.
(just as non-chalantly) By the way, I'm Cray-1.

I envision Cray-1 as being part Ice Queen, one part Big Guy, another part Jerk With A Heart Of Gold.

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on October 14, 2012, 11:44:08 PM
That's one of the Easter Eggs! Summer Days was a Darker and Edgier OS-tan fic, right? I can't remember off the top of my head, but if it is, then Linux XP has quite the taste in literature!

That's the one! (.....that emotionally scarred me a little inside.)

QuoteThere are two more Easter Eggs on the page. :)

I redesigned Dreamlinux's outfit to look more distinctive

.....Is it Linux XP-tan's outfit? It looks awfully familiar (I keep thinking of one of the older MSDOS-tan designs), but I'm really not sure. x.x

QuoteGlad that the Multics and Cray 1 story idea is working so far. Here's a tentative script to the first part:

Looks good so far! :D

QuoteI envision Cray-1 as being part Ice Queen, one part Big Guy, another part Jerk With A Heart Of Gold.

Interesting! I wanted to know more about Cray-1-tan's personality, since her wiki page left me curious....

And I know you're referencing the ice queen trope, but I'm just going to use this opportunity to mention that I want to do fanart of Cray-1-tan dressed up as another Ice Queen....

http://adventuretime.wikia.com/wiki/File:Ice_queen.png

^.^;;