OS-tan Theory Revival

Started by Chocofreak13, January 01, 2012, 11:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

An interesting thought.

The best I can come up with at the moment is maybe an AI is to OS-tans as androids are to us. Maybe that's a tad corny, but aside from that, I'm drawing a blank

Tsubashi

I think neuroscience is actually a great idea for translation of AI research. The fields are closely related and comparably progressed. I imagine this could easily be integrated into any number of -tan's designs without becoming cliché.

On the flip side, you could always just translate it as research into biological intelligence, as if it were a stretch for -tan's to conceive of non-artificial intelligence. (The downside being that if Bio-intelligence is a foreign idea, what are users?)

Anyway, that is my two bits.
-Tsu

NejinOniwa

A WILD TSUBASHI APPEARED

That actually sounds like a good idea, though. AI-science studying the structure of a -tan's brain and the relations between it and its Code and whatnot...

A pretty out-there science indeed, but then again, so is AI science.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

Quote from: Tsubashi on February 22, 2013, 10:33:47 AM
I think neuroscience is actually a great idea for translation of AI research. The fields are closely related and comparably progressed. I imagine this could easily be integrated into any number of -tan's designs without becoming cliché.

Ooooh, I really like this idea. It jives quite well with what I was considering - more or less. (That is to say, I was thinking that AI might equal "OS-tan psychology/biology" - which your idea is quite compatible with.)

QuoteOn the flip side, you could always just translate it as research into biological intelligence, as if it were a stretch for -tan's to conceive of non-artificial intelligence. (The downside being that if Bio-intelligence is a foreign idea, what are users?)

That's also an interesting concept, although it wouldn't work in my story canon (and a few others), since humans and OS-tans frequently interact.

Quote from: PentiumMMX on February 22, 2013, 10:25:55 AM
The best I can come up with at the moment is maybe an AI is to OS-tans as androids are to us. Maybe that's a tad corny, but aside from that, I'm drawing a blank

Do you mean to say, AI (in the intelligent robot sense of the word, not the scientific discipline) are the androids of the OS-tan universe?

Nichi

Yeah; that's pretty much what I meant. An AI would be like an android in the OS-tan universe

Bella

Quote from: PentiumMMX on February 22, 2013, 04:37:27 PM
Yeah; that's pretty much what I meant. An AI would be like an android in the OS-tan universe

Hm. I see what you mean, though I am speaking of artificial intelligence, the scientific discipline, not artificial intelligence, the thinking robots. ^^;

Of course, all the OS-tans are technically AI in that they're non-humans who behave like humans .... that said, I think artificial intelligence would work well as the neuroscience / biology / scientific study of OS-tans in the OS-tanverse.

Somebody has to post in /More IBM-tans so I can post my new concepts there. u.u

Bella

I think I've reached a logical impasse where things won't make sense if I don't introduce the existence of programming language-tans.

Also I'm totes using that "if programming languages were women" list for inspiration / drawing those designs.

*GROANS LOUDLY AND SLIPS OUT OF CHAIR*

NejinOniwa

If PL-tans were to exist, they would - to me - be much more ethereal and strange than the OS-tans themselves, more closely related to Code and their magic than anything else. Spirits, almost.

Bella

Quote from: NejinOniwa on March 02, 2013, 02:12:51 PM
If PL-tans were to exist, they would - to me - be much more ethereal and strange than the OS-tans themselves, more closely related to Code and their magic than anything else. Spirits, almost.

ARE YOU READING MY MIND, GOOD SIR? Because that is exactly what I was thinking! Ovo

Or, to go into more detail - I was thinking of programming language-tans as being the (quasi?) physical manifestations of their respective languages (and whatever sorcery that entails) and treated as something akin to gods of their respective languages / forms of magic. As far as I can tell, they'd have no other role besides overseeing and personifying their languages, so they wouldn't be like OS- and computer-tans, who have proper jobs and routinely interact with human beings and The Real World. Of course, this would probably be on a spectrum - BASIC-tan, who doubles as a sort of operating environment as well as language, would probably have a more corporeal form, whereas straight-up PL-tans would be more ethereal and inaccessible to all but the most devoted / skilled of hackers, programmers and OS-tans.

Honestly, there are good arguments to be made for and against PL-tans - in the against column, you have the fact that programming languages are a pretty abstract thing to personify, even in OS-tan universe context (since it's a personification of a language, not a physical piece of hardware, complex application or the bundle of software + kernel that makes up an OS), as well as the whole stickiness involving HOW PL-tans would interact with OS-tans, especially if you already choose to believe that programming languages = various forms of magic for OS-tans (which, IMO, is a pretty sensible way of fitting PL's into the OS-tan universe).

However, if you're for making PL-tans, you can argue that all technological items can be personified in the OS-tan universe - I mean, there's already HDD-tans, drum memory- and tape drive-kuns, as well as at least one compiler - all of which are fairly "abstract" things to personify - so it's not a huge logical leap to suggest that programming languages should be humanized as well. There's also the matter of programming languages that double as simplistic operating systems/operating environments or exist as bootable software - BASIC is the best example of this, there's also MUMPS-11, FOCAL, FORTH and a number of others I'm forgetting or not aware of. There has been talk before of making a BASIC, MUMPS-11 and FOCAL-tan - if we choose to accept bootable programming languages as humanization material, why shouldn't we accept all PL's as such?

NejinOniwa

The less tangible an object, the less corporeal and "present" in the Open world they will be if they are personalized. I would even go as far as to say that they are only partly real, and only part of the time. They are legends, spirits and ghosts - the spectral backside of the OS-tans' world, and not even the OS-tans themselves are sure if they exist or not.

Besides, I think it's already been established that our view on most theorycrafting done here is basically a hivemind anyway, so I'm not very surprised :)

Bella

Quote from: NejinOniwa on March 02, 2013, 06:14:04 PM
The less tangible an object, the less corporeal and "present" in the Open world they will be if they are personalized. I would even go as far as to say that they are only partly real, and only part of the time. They are legends, spirits and ghosts - the spectral backside of the OS-tans' world, and not even the OS-tans themselves are sure if they exist or not.

Sounds about right to me. It's interesting you should mention them being almost mythical to the OS-tans, since I was considering the same thing - that they might be a subject of lore to most -tans, though there are surely some exceptions. I imagine BASIC-tan makes herself known quite readily - given her status as DTSS-tan's assistant and beginner-friendly (one might even say beginner-tempting) nature. Lisp-tan is another odd case, since I imagine she has some sort of relationship with Lisp Machine-tan, though I haven't worked out the exact details of it yet. x.x

QuoteBesides, I think it's already been established that our view on most theorycrafting done here is basically a hivemind anyway, so I'm not very surprised :)

At this point, neither am I. :D

Bella

YO NEJ. This is probably a dumb question, but does Colossus-tan have a human name yet? I can't recall if it was ever mentioned in-story and she doesn't have a wiki article for me to refer to, so...

If not, can I suggest the name Coleen Flowers?

Also, recent reading about DEC has made me want to -tan literally every major PDP release, even the obscure boring ones like the PDP-9 (basically the PDP-7 II), PDP-15 (PDP-7 III), PDP-14 (the PDP-8's slow-witted industrial-controller cousin) and PDP-16 (the possibly-schizophrenic one who didn't know what to do with its life so it did a little of everything without become especially good at anything).

NejinOniwa

She doesn't, but I always intended for her not to have one...

We'll see about that.

Bella

But it works so welllllllll. ;0;

Simonorged

Might I suggest that for the wiki Linux XP has a doppleganger darker color scheme.
Simon was here :P