Started by Chocofreak13, January 01, 2012, 11:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

Yay ^^

Also, I'll keep that in mind

alfonso_rd_30

Yay I got theories!!!!

Magical Source for the -tans:

it pretty much would be the way Some other universes manage their energy discharging system (ki/chi, chakra) and he tans can use both their own code pool / their code itself and draw code from the surrounding environment

Program Languages = Styles / schools of Magic:
Yes indeed.

where the fork the Program Language-tans fit in the Mess?:
They would pretty much be the Grandmasters (GrandMistresses?) of  each schools, tutoring the other tans in the Schools...

Kami(Fancy) Sage being a figment of plain old Sage:
I think it's the other way around, think of it as a deity devoting a small part of her power to create a Mortal Avatar... but Sage just didn't quite got it

Bella

Hey there Alfonso, thanks for adding your input to the thread. ^^

Quote from: alfonso_rd_30 on January 18, 2013, 10:04:13 PM
Yay I got theories!!!!

it pretty much would be the way Some other universes manage their energy discharging system (ki/chi, chakra) and he tans can use both their own code pool / their code itself and draw code from the surrounding environment

Yes indeed.

I think these theories match up well with the similar theories that have been posted here, so I don't really have any comments on them.

As for the other two...

They would pretty much be the Grandmasters (GrandMistresses?) of  each schools, tutoring the other tans in the Schools...

That's a good idea! To be honest, i haven't given much thought about making programming language-tans, unless it's a programming language that can also be run "as an operating system" - for instance, BASIC on various 1980s microcomputers, or FOCAL on the PDP-8 computer. But there have been program language-tan concepts proposed before, so if you wanted to design some this would be a nice way of fitting them in with the rest of our characters.

Quote from: alfonso_rd_30 on January 18, 2013, 10:04:13 PMKami(Fancy) Sage being a figment of plain old Sage:
I think it's the other way around, think of it as a deity devoting a small part of her power to create a Mortal Avatar... but Sage just didn't quite got it

I really like this idea as well! There is some debate about SAGE-tan's powers, so if you believe SAGE-tan has maintained a high level of power over the years (thus making her something of a "god"-like figure within the OS-tan community) it kind of makes sense that she would maintain a "mortal" body to interact with other OS-tans.

alfonso_rd_30

Quote from: Bella on January 18, 2013, 10:55:22 PM
Hey there Alfonso, thanks for adding your input to the thread. ^^

Spoiler: ShowHide
Yay I got theories!!!!

Yes indeed.

I think these theories match up well with the similar theories that have been posted here, so I don't really have any comments on them.

As for the other two...

Yes I know, in this case I was only expanding into those topics, where only was covered the basic "Magic draws life force of the Practitioner", while Magic also means using one's will to bend natural laws
Quote from: Bella on January 18, 2013, 10:55:22 PM

That's a good idea! To be honest, i haven't given much thought about making programming language-tans, unless it's a programming language that can also be run "as an operating system" - for instance, BASIC on various 1980s microcomputers, or FOCAL on the PDP-8 computer. But there have been program language-tan concepts proposed before, so if you wanted to design some this would be a nice way of fitting them in with the rest of our characters.

Quote from: alfonso_rd_30 on January 18, 2013, 10:04:13 PMKami(Fancy) Sage being a figment of plain old Sage:

I really like this idea as well! There is some debate about SAGE-tan's powers, so if you believe SAGE-tan has maintained a high level of power over the years (thus making her something of a "god"-like figure within the OS-tan community) it kind of makes sense that she would maintain a "mortal" body to interact with other OS-tans.

both Ideas are just common sense applied

NejinOniwa

A bit of a polling station, people, for you who write comics or tanfics regularly or just indulge in theory mess like this.

What "human names" do you use in your headcanon/story canon, and why?

This interests me because I don't think we've actually done a proper collection of these yet, or a listing of which are more or less relevant/used often etc, between the /OSC/ers.

The ones I use more or less as actual names are 3:
Linux-tan (Lina Torvalds), GIT-tan (Birgitta "Gittan" Torvalds) and WITCH (Winston Harwell).
Linux is like I stated in the comp thread a pretty special case in that she actually has a father figure, namely Linus Torvalds, who coded her from scratch, top to bottom, until she was functional, and in much is responsible for her widespread success as well. While she also has formal "corporate" ties with the Linux Consortium, she also has personal ties to humans on a level that justifies her identifying herself that much with them.

That GIT has a proper name is a bit of an extension of Linux' having one. Seeing as she's another of Linus' creations, although she might not be quite as much his "daughter" as Linux herself is, she still has ties to another using those ties - namely, her sister Linux. Because of this, their personal relations become influenced by human ties as well.
(Also, I just couldn't let that pun go. :D )

WITCH's case is a different matter, though the reasons are similar. In the end I believe that tans who actually identify with their human name, not simply use it as an alias, are only those who have a special and solid connection to the human world aside from the ties that tie her to her creators and maintainers. Thanks to her deep-code magic WITCH managed to stay conscious and operating despite deactivation, and then even the dismantling of her (only) node. She was fully conscious in a deactivated state for all her years as a museum object (1973-1997) and after that for another 12 years (1997-2009) with her node completely dismantled. During her dismantled period, while her deep-code let her remain conscious, she had virtually no code pool whatsoever, or even any connection to Code itself beyond what made herself to stay alive. Thus she spent 12 years as not quite human, yet not quite computer, living in the human world on her own. With increased contact with humans came a need to identify herself with them. The fact that her designated system name had changed several times during the years also helped solidify her human name as the one she felt was "her own", so to speak; this is especially true during her early OMEGA days before her restoration was completed and the effects of her necromancy took hold, but even then she still refers to herself as "A Witch", not "WITCH", and that's simply her own description of herself. She has spent so much time in the human world that she has effectively taken on a human identity.

Many others have "names" that they use when dealing with humans; for example Ruka's "Martta Rukka" and Leopard's "Pardus Cupertino" among others. It is arguable whether or not Snow Leopard's use of "Snow" as her name is a proper human name or not, but I'd say it isn't (even if the few humans she deals with use it sometimes).
In any case, these are clear cases of pseudonyms . Ruka's is merely a faked passport given to her to gain entrance to the States, and she certainly doesn't have a single scrap of ties to the human world, not like that; whilst Leopard's certainly has more age and use on it, it remains just as secondary.

What do you think, guys? How do you think on the topic of human-computer identity issues?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

About the only noteworthy ones with my stories would be how 2k-tan's human name is Nichi Madobe, while ME-tan is Emmy Madobe. I still need to come up with a name for Neptune, as well as Fedora, so at the moment they're just known by their OS-tan name

Bella

@Alfonso: I hope you post more theories here in the future. :D

@Nej: I agree with most of those names. In fact, the only that's different in my head / story canon is Leopard-tan, whose family name is Macintosh. She actually doesn't start off with a first name, but somewhere along the line in hr time-travels she encounters Whirlwind-tan, who gives her the nickname "Leona" and it sort of sticks with her. (Based on the fact that, at least in Stew's [head?]canon, Whirlwind-tan was supposed to be the one who got human names for computers going as a way to humanize them more.) As well, Snow Leopard-tan is just Leopard's future self, so it's presumed they share the same name although she uses the alias of "Snow".

Also, that's really interesting about WITCH .... how she remained alive even without any running systems. Reminds me a little of SAGE actually....

*ponders a SAGE - WITCH, er, knife-and-or-magic-fight* o__O

alfonso_rd_30

Quiet an Simple:
98 = Hachikyu
SE = Hachisai

Chocofreak13

l believe we had proposed some names for 98 & SE...

as for the heads of the programming language schools, i remember seeing a video somewhere that had program language girls. we could adapt these characters to be the program-tans. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

>Programming Language Girls

There's a dangerous precedent for this, guys............ http://www.columbia.edu/~sss31/rainbow/prog.lang.html

As I said before, I'm only interested in making language-tans who personify languages that double as operating systems (I still need to make a FOCAL and BASIC-tan), though I'd also like to make a LISP Machine and GeneraOS-tan, who might as well be LISP Language-tans themselves. -w-

THEORY: HURD and Arch Linux-tan are bestest friends forever
Two words: Arch HURD. It's basically the only thing keeping HURD even vaguely relevant in this day and age.

And, well, their personalities are just too darned compatible! Both being really intelligent but also shy and somewhat socially-challenged in their daily lives and all that.

Chocofreak13

the girls l mentioned were for languages like Java and such. all i'm saying is that they exist, so we don't need to make characters for them. :\
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Quote from: Bella on January 19, 2013, 10:43:57 AM
Also, that's really interesting about WITCH .... how she remained alive even without any running systems. Reminds me a little of SAGE actually....

WITCH isn't actually too proficient a fighter at all. Her necromancy empowering makes her strong, but her magic isn't very well suited for it; and she's never had to deal with a proper combat situation before, so she's not really used to things like that.

Her best skill is in mindbreaking people and such, but seeing as SAGE is already insane that'd be a moot point...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

alfonso_rd_30

Quote from: Bella on January 19, 2013, 06:42:57 PM
>Programming Language Girls

There's a dangerous precedent for this, guys............ http://www.columbia.edu/~sss31/rainbow/prog.lang.html

As I said before, I'm only interested in making language-tans who personify languages that double as operating systems (I still need to make a FOCAL and BASIC-tan), though I'd also like to make a LISP Machine and GeneraOS-tan, who might as well be LISP Language-tans themselves. -w-

the idea doesn't conflict with your Ideas at all... for example let's say Basic-tan (A PL/OS tan) taught one of the Win tans, well, Basic and then using that knowledge  said Win-tan taught her family how to perform the basic-based sourcery, even "Improving" unto the school itself (Going from BASIC to Visual BASIC), this said for the PL that also are OS-tans themselves...

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on January 19, 2013, 06:59:55 PM
the girls l mentioned were for languages like Java and such. all i'm saying is that they exist, so we don't need to make characters for them. :\

hence they are those GrandMistresses I mentioned...

Quote from: NejinOniwa on January 20, 2013, 02:54:37 AM
Quote from: Bella on January 19, 2013, 10:43:57 AM

WITCH isn't actually too proficient a fighter at all. Her necromancy empowering makes her strong, but her magic isn't very well suited for it; and she's never had to deal with a proper combat situation before, so she's not really used to things like that.

Her best skill is in mindbreaking people and such, but seeing as SAGE is already insane that'd be a moot point...

SAGE doesn't seem three pieces short of a puzzle to me... it's just that only her Mastery of the kind of Sourcery she has is... lacking... to say the least... given the bad way she managed to craft an OS-tan avatar for herself...

stewartsage

Can I just say the only reason I never post anything productive here is because I don't believe in 90% of it?

That's all.

So let me say again; SAGE is not a sorceress.  She doesn't wield 'magic'.  She did not create her own corporeal form.

alfonso_rd_30