OS-tan Visual Novel!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 30, 2011, 11:55:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Krizonar

Pretty sure I won't be playing it on my G3 iBook, so 1024x768 isn't a big deal.

Aurora Borealis

April 01, 2012, 12:00:01 am #121 Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 12:02:55 am by Aurora Borealis
Okay. So no worries about technical constraints, anyone? It sounds like a stupid question, but I'm wondering if there are any low-end computer users here.

Penti-chan

No issues here, because I have a beast of a desktop and a laptop that can pack a decent punch :3

Red-Machine

Nope, the smallest scfreen I have is 1024x768, so it's all good here.

Aurora, would you be interested in critique from someone who has played a lot of VNs?  Perhaps you could email me stuff you want looked at and I can offer advice based on my experiences and so forth.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Aurora Borealis

@Red: Sure, but I prefer to just post stuff here.

Aurora Borealis

I've been having a hard time making progress with this because lately I've been so busy with school, but the project will still go on. Feel free to continue discussing ideas. Finals will be coming up soon, and afterwards I'll have plenty of time to continue this.

As for something that can be done right now, any suggestions on the first bit of script I posted on the previous page?

Bella

I don't have any suggestions or ideas, Aurora ... I'll be here whenever you're ready to start working on the sprites.

Aurora Borealis

April 22, 2012, 05:01:13 pm #127 Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 05:17:23 pm by Aurora Borealis
Sorry to keep you waiting for so long. I'm going to start posting what I have of character art so far. This isn't going to be as efficient as I was hoping, but part of it is the vector base art I intended for some poses, part of it is hand-drawn sketches. Later stuff will learn towards the latter since the vectored base art turned out to be less time/cost-effective than I expected.

These first two SVG batches are of 2K-tan and NT-tan. I have 2K-tan's default pose on a separate hand-drawn picture that I'll post up soon. I'll try and make that easy to vectorize and to the same proportions used in the vector bases.

Chocofreak13

i'm in the same boat as you on being busy with school, but i'll be here too when i'm done. ^^ (sorry i can't help more now, but i dug my own grave on this project. :[ )

Aurora Borealis

Here's the reference sketch for 2k-tan's default pose and expression:

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10307/ostanvn_w2kref1.jpg

I hope that vectorizing this and correcting the proportions won't be too much of a problem.

Bella

I could probably vectorize this and make the templates quite easily. Is this something I should do for you, and if so, when would you want it done by?

Aurora Borealis

Yes. I'm afraid I struggled with the templates, but at least I was able to give a starting point. How about I provide the sketches, and you vectorize them? Though if you have suggestions for character expressions and poses to add on, I'd like to see them too. I don't have a strict deadline, but getting a first piece of character art done by the weekend would be recommended so I could comment on it as soon as I can.

Chocofreak13

curious, what did you have in mind for the splash pages? i was thinking a tiled pattern of the error icon, with the entire thing in a light blue. seems rather typical/safe. what do you think?

Aurora Borealis

@Choco: That sounds good for the background; I'd also have the character selected on the splash screen too.

=======

Any updates? Now that finals are over, I'll have time to work on this again!

Chocofreak13

character selected? you mean you want me to put in a box with the character's name?