Games General

Started by NejinOniwa, September 27, 2011, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

Looking on the Final Fantasy Wiki, I found the section of the FF7 article talking about the PC version's development to be interesting. Apparently, the making of it was a disaster; explaining game crashes and other problems with the PC version

Chocofreak13

TOLD you the PS version was superior. xD
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

So apparrently, the new Civilization V expansion will have a Victorian steampunk-themed scenario.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

So apparently, Crusader Kings 2 is the best game ever.

Get it NOW.

I mean, character-based EVERYTHING? Paradox, I <3 you so bad.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

I'm now playing FF6 on my PSP. So far, all nameable characters I've encountered so far have been named after OSCers :3

Who is named what, so far: ShowHide
Terra: Penti :3
Locke: Stew
Edgar: Nejin
Sabin: Clone
Shadow: Dan

Ones I have not encountered yet, but already have names:
Celes: Bella
Relm: Kari

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Pre-ordered TERA, good shit.

NejinOniwa

TERA-whatnow?

Also got RP+IP boost for Riot fucking up my match history. Good man.

stewartsage

Broke out Fallout 3 again now that I know how to use console commands.  Semi-related: Critted a super mutant with the Reservist's rifle that then caused three cars to explode.

Nichi

So, having been on a Final Fantasy kick lately (Partially from the PC version of FF7, partially for watching SuperJeenius' run through FF4 on YouTube), I bought myself a copy of Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls for the Game Boy Advance; a compilation consisting of remakes of the first 2 installments in the franchise.

As for my past experience with these two games, I have played the original US version of the first game (In fact, I have it on Wii Virtual Console, along with a vintage Nintendo Power Player's Guide for it), while I played a fan translation of the 2nd one many years ago (A half-finished one, unfortunately).

The first Final Fantasy is, well, the one that started it all. It introduces the basics that make up the gameplay of the franchise, barring a few tweaks here and there

Final Fantasy II is known for being the black sheep of the franchise for trying out some odd things that did not stick around for future installments; oddly enough, exactly like Castlevania II, Super Mario Bros. 2, and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, so it must have been something developers tried with their franchises back on the NES. In this installment, your characters do not level up; instead, your weapons level up, while your characters do get little perks for winning successful battles, such as increased HP and such.

Graphically, since it merely brings the games up to FF4 quality, it's not that jarring; going from this (Famicom version) to this (GBA version). It still feels like the original, unlike the DS remake of FF3; which feels like an entirely different game with how much they changed.

All in all, they did a nice job bringing both to the GBA. If you're interested in experiencing the first 2 installments in the franchise, but don't have access to an NES, this is worth looking into.

NejinOniwa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGqEir3BasM&feature=player_embedded
Oh, Paradox. Beautiful as always. <3

Oh, also: Mass Effect 3 is in town now.

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: stewartsage on February 25, 2012, 04:31:40 PM
Broke out Fallout 3 again now that I know how to use console commands.  Semi-related: Critted a super mutant with the Reservist's rifle that then caused three cars to explode.

I would say that's one of the big pluses to FO3 over NV - EXPLOSIONS!!!!!!

Granted, NV has its own positives that I think far outweigh FO3's, but, in some ways, being in the desolate Mojave makes me yearn for the days of wandering the decayed remains of metropolitan civilization in FO3, just so I could see another massive nuclear chain explosion.  It's particularly amusing when it's caused by a cowardly Raider who "dodged" one of your shots only to be thrown through the air by said explosion... along with the rest of his sociopathic pals.

Speaking of Mojave, I picked up (well, I had my gf pick it up while she was in town) the GOTY version of RDR on sale.  It's definitely one of the most satisfying game purchases I've made in quite some time.  I think I'd put it right up there with Phantom Dust or Metal Gear Solid 3.  The only problem right now is I'm stuck in freaking Mexico until the game has decided I've had enough learning about how power breeds corruption and all governments are equally shitty and all that noise.  I guess the characters here aren't too bad, but some of the missions took a real dickish leap in difficulty.  That aside, it's a great game and I'm looking forward to 100%'ing it despite the absurd challenge level.

The Choice of a New Generation.

NejinOniwa

A very interesting observation I've made.

Russians playing League come in 2 flavors. First you have the Russians playing League flavor, who talk in cyrillic in the chat and, despite their actual prowess at the game, generally cause massive fails because they can't communicate with their team.

Then you have the Talkative Russians. Who, to various degree, speak english, and are VERY interested in practicing that skill if you opt to vent/skype during the match. This is very amusing, seriously. They are SO TALKATIVE. And polite, I might add, so it's very hard to get out of the conversations you've started. SO TALKATIVE RUSSIANS PLAYING LEAGUE. XD

Nichi

You know, a topic I saw on another site got me to thinking: What is the craziest gaming myths you've heard before? Like, secret endings, characters, and other such things.

I think the craziest I've ever heard is of a secret ending in Diddy Kong Racing; where Diddy and friends are eating bacon for breakfast after defeating Wizpig. I remember being a little let down that, after doing literally everything there is to do in the game, I did not receive this ending...although I still loved every minute of it, so it's not like it was a waste.

I've heard others, but that's the one that sticks out in my mind

EDIT:
One I did remember, also involving Diddy Kong Racing, was something my older cousin told me way back in '98; when I was trying to figure out where the Wish Key for Dragon Forest is. I asked him where I would find it, since I knew he had already beaten the game before, and he pretty much said "One does not simply find the Wish Key for Dragon Forest; they must earn it". Being the gullible 7-year-old I was back then, I believed every word of it; spending ages trying everything I could think of that could lead to me earning the key.

It wasn't until sometime in mid 2000 that, while trolling the internet for video game cheats, I stumbled onto the truth; you do find the key hidden in a track (Boulder Canyon, for the curious). Thus, after 2 years of thinking there was some piece to the puzzle I was missing, I was finally able to continue onward into DKR...which did spark a desire to find out of the "bacon ending" was true or not.

Chocofreak13

did you ever find out?

when i was young and gullible, my cousin told me about a secret move in THPS2 that was named after trout or something, and was supposed to imitate fish swimming upstream (think those photos of the fish leaping out of the water, curved in midair). ofc i believed him, cause i was 8ish and stupid.

i never really talked about video games with people since i was the only major gamer in the family besides my sister. :\
click to make it bigger