Games General

Started by NejinOniwa, September 27, 2011, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewartsage

KATAWA SHOUJO DOWNLOADED.  I MAY BE A WHILE.

Bella

Been playing KS on and off today...

CaptBrenden

jeez everyone is playing that game . _ .
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Red-Machine

Well, here's my reaction to playing and completing the Hanako path and getting the good ending:

I knew from the moment I saw her that Hanako would be my girl. I played through her route first in Act 1 and again in the full game. I alternated between wanting to cry, giggling to myself and wanting to hug her so bad it felt like I would die. It was equal parts soulcrushing and heartwarming. I genuinely fell in love with her and wanted to be with her forever.

Then the h-scene arrived. I'm not going to lie, I didn't want it. I even considered turning safe mode on just so I could avoid it, but I thought it would be detrimental to the story to go without it. It didn't turn me on in the slightest. I saw Hanako there, bared for me and me alone to see. I looked over her scars and I simply thought "She's so beautiful..." The scene itself was tastefully done, expertly written and not cheesy or typical of eroges in the slightest, which was a great relief to me. However, if I had been in Hisao's shoes, it never would have happened. I'd have just held her and told her I loved her and that she was the most beautiful girl in the world to me. I don't know how that would have turned out, but I'd like to think it would have forgone the awkwardness of her giving herself to me without actually wanting it.

When it comes to the "knight in shining armour complex", I am massively guilty of that. I once said to a friend of mine after she was told by a guy she asked out that she had too much emotional baggage for his tastes that I actually liked that in a girl because I want to look after her. I would have fallen into the same trap Hisao did, but I would actually be able to acknowledge my love for her as opposed to beating around the bush like he did. Whether or not that would have made matters different, I don't know. But regardless, my desire to help Hanako and be there for her came out of a genuine love for her rather than a misguided sense of pity.

When I got to the end, I actually said out loud "NO! NO! NO!" I wanted more. Much more. I know that's an unreasonable expectation from any game, but I was emotionally invested in this path. And I think I'm going to end up agreeing with the general consensus that you can't play the other paths without dying a little inside every time you snub her.

But, at the end of the day, I fucking loved it. Thank you for making this knight in shining armour a very happy man. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm just going to listen to Painful History until I can pull myself together enough to get on with my life. Or at least the next path...
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

ugh, this is why i don't know if i'd be good at visual novels. i couldn't pick just one, i want everyone to be happy. ;^;

makes it worse that this VN i wanted supposedly has HORRIBLE ENDINGS for everyone you don't pick. ;^;
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: CaptBrenden on January 05, 2012, 06:21:30 PM
jeez everyone is playing that game . _ .

Not me!  I'm playing FIRE PRO!

The Choice of a New Generation.

Bella

Regarding Knight in Shining Armor-ism: I think I'm the opposite of you, Red, while I'm okay with the concept of hurt/comfort in fiction I don't think I'd ever want to have to take care of somebody in a relationship...

Regarding KS - Hanako might be one of my least-favorite characters at the moment. I know a lot of people find the entire uber-shrinking-violet-with-emotional-trauma thing "moe" or fulfilling to an emotional need to be a comforter or whatever, but it's more annoying than anything to me. <<;;

I'm hoping I don't end up stumbling into her path by accident... >>;;;

Red-Machine

Quote from: Bella on January 06, 2012, 04:03:01 PMHanako might be one of my least-favorite characters at the moment.

That had better change quickly or you might find yourself without your Apple ///. :3
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

At the moment, since I'm on Frankenstein V3, I've taken advantage of it's TV tuner to resume playing Persona 3. I'm at about the point that my cousin (Who beat the game years ago) said that things start getting really interesting, so I look forward to seeing where things are about to go.

@Red: I used to be a knight in shining armor, much like you. Then I took an arrow to the knee
I felt this burning desire to say that, and I haven't even played Skyrim yet xD

Nichi

So, now that I'm getting my games and such set back up on 2k (Who is back up and running), I'll soon get back to Half-Life 2; after nearly a year away from it

CaptBrenden

Well i didnt notice a topic more appropriate, so ill post here.

I think Ive said before, but I am a SERIOUS rotor head, that is, a helicopter fanatic. Recently Ive gotten back into PC gaming and picked up a few simulators.  Fed up with mouse control and using my xbox controler too arcade like, I ordered an Logitech flight system G940. Suddenly im spending all day long when not at class or doing homework flying helicopters in Bohemian interactives new title Take on Helicopters. Im just a little upset its so hard to set this flight rig up for ARMA II. 

In addition to that, Ive got this in the mail:
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

Normally Im against motion controllers. I absolutly HATE the wii and refuse to get one.. but this is the first time Ive seen motion controllers used for something useful. The ability to look around in ARMA or while flying in DCS or ToH?  PRICELESS.

Speaking of motion controllers, I finally have a reason to get a Kinect. apperently there is a hack out there that allows you to use ot to take in Mo Cap data, for realistic animations. Frick yeah!

Nichi

@Cappy: Cool ^_^
Also, I have a Wii, but almost never use it; my PS3 gets more attention

stewartsage

I only ever fly helicopters in Battlefield Vietnam, which is about as arcade-y as you can get.  Still, I seem to be the one of the who doesn't smash the bird into the ground on takeoff or see-saw across the sky like an idiot.  Oh for the halcyon days of a larger player base.

CaptBrenden

Ah well I play alot of battlefield as well. Its arcadish, but it still flys like a propper helicopter, control is based on balanced manipilation of the cyclic and collective etc.  Nothing bugs me more then when helicopters are "dumbified" for no helicopter people in videogames where they maintain altituted to matter how far forward the cyclic is pushed. you can hover with your nose pointed towards the ground, and there simply is a button that controlls altitude.

stewartsage

Yeah, the Battlefield helicopters are just realistic enough for me I think.  I'll never be able to fly a fast mover in that game though.