Games General

Started by NejinOniwa, September 27, 2011, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cockleshell

do not play covetous
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Nichi

No clue what that is, so I'll just follow your advice -w-;;

So, I found myself playing the first Sonic Adventure again. Actually managed to get the final emblem on the first level of the game, which required beating the stage in under 2 minutes. I figured out a technique for it, courtesy of a speedrun video on YouTube (I couldn't pull off the crazy long-jumps they did, but I had a feel for how to make Sonic go faster)

LeaflameSD

Sonic Adventure sucks.

stewartsage

Krizonar

Nichi

LOL -w-;

So, here's a pic of my Dreamcast game collection, and a rundown on each item in the spoiler tag below:
Penti's Dreamcast Collection: ShowHide
In order from left to right, starting from the top row:

- Sonic Adventure (Complete in box)
Honestly, it's not right for me to own a Dreamcast and not own Sonic Adventure. I mean, it's not the best game ever by any stretch, and the voice acting is very cheesy, but the game has a certain charm to it that the second game onward failed to capture. I might have overpaid a little (I spent $25 on it at a game store I went to with Kari a few years back), but I honestly needed that game back, and Dreamcast stuff rarely pops up at the local Game-X-Change.

- Power Stone (Complete in box)
I've waited nearly 10 years to finally play this, from when I first heard of it from some old issues of Dreamcast magazine I have lying around somewhere. Now I have played it, and it's amazing. I'd love to check out the sequel, which expands the game to 4-player, but that one's so painfully expensive; costing upward of $50 on average ;_;

- ChuChu Rocket (European, complete in box)
Shortly after I obtained my second Dreamcast, in the color I wanted, I went down to Game-X-Change and saw they had some import Dreamcast games for sale for $1 each on a strict "all sales final" basis (Was some stuff they found in the back and wanted to clear out quickly). So, I have a European edition of ChuChu Rocket; which is a pretty fun puzzle game, made even more so if you can rope in other people to play with you for 4-player madness.

- Shenmue (Japanese, complete w\ soundtrack)
Obtained at the same time as ChuChu Rocket, Shenmue was one I bought simply because it was $1. I wouldn't mind tracking down the English version again and trying to play it, so I can understand the story.

- Sonic Adventure (With manual)
Yes, I own two copies of it. This one's actually a later print; which I'm trying to find out what the differences are.

- Toy Commander (With manual)
This is another one I've heard about for years. The concept sounded like Blast Corps set in a Toy Story \ Clockwork Knight type setting, which interested me. I admit, I haven't really gotten into it yet, but it seems promising :3

- Disney's 102 Dalmatians: Puppies to the Rescue (With manual)
I've mentioned this one before, so I'll keep it brief. It was kinda fun at first, but it gets tiresome very quickly...but the final boss was fun.

- PlanetWeb Internet Browser 3.0 (Complete)
This is the only thing from my original Dreamcast collection I didn't sell off when I got rid of everything; as I figured Game-X-Change couldn't take an old web browser in. A good call on my part; ever since PlanetWeb themselves went under around 2011 or so, this disc has become impossible to find. So, I treasure it even though nobody really seems to care about it; I found it worked fairly well when I still used it.

- Hydro Thunder (First edition, with manual)
I'll be honest, while the Dreamcast version is the most arcade-accurate version as far as graphics, I found it kinda "meh" as far as actual content compared to others; while PS1 had a career mode and N64 had 4-player split screen, Dreamcast didn't really get anything exclusive :\

- Star Wars: Episode I Racer (With manual)
Of all the things Star Wars: Episode I gave us, besides the badass that is Qui-Gon Jenn, there was pod racing. Of the games I played based on it, this one's probably the best; it has the high-speed gameplay of the N64 version but on a Dreamcast. Also, it was better than the PS2 remake; which was not bad, but just didn't feel right IMO.

- Walt Disney World: Magical Racing Tour (With manual)
This game I'm considering selling; I want to like it, but I can't push myself to play much more of it, because the drift mechanics it are some of the worst in any kart racing game I've ever played. I beat the first 2 tracks of its story mode before I finally gave up.

- Looney Tunes Space Race (With manual)
Now, this one's actually pretty good; it's a bit frustrating at points, but it actually feels right as far as controls, which draws me to it more than Disney Magical Racing. I will admit, the random bits of dialog do get tiresome after a while, but if you can get past it, it's not too bad of a game.

Bella

Steam Summer Sale = time to buy all the games I've been meaning to play (that also work on OS X Snow Leopard).

Finally got around to buying Kentucky Route Zero ($18, which is a little more than I'd like to pay but it's still better than $24.99 or whatever the regular price is) and Psychonauts (I think I got that for $3.50 last week) ... and System Shock 2 (I wouldn't have gotten it if it wasn't so cheap [$1.50], since I still have to play the first game — I downloaded it ages ago but never got around to it, as usual.) Even though it's Windows-only, would've bought Mirror's Edge last week if it didn't have such a high fuckin' processor requirement (seriously, 3+ GHZ for a five year old game?!)

Nichi

Indeed :\
Also, nice on Psychonauts. I bought it during a Steam sale years back, but haven't gotten around to it; I did play the first few levels of the Xbox version years back and enjoyed it :3

I meant to buy Skyrim while it was on sale, but I skipped on it in favor of getting Power Stone for Dreamcast. No regrets; that game is kickass -w-

stewartsage

Did I say I got Borderlands 2?

I got Borderlands 2.

Cockleshell

Borderlands 2 is grindy, but fun. See you in a week.
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

stewartsage

You say "grindy" like it doesn't involve me pointing guns towards things and pulling the trigger 'til my SMG is empty then throwing it like a grenade.

Nichi

So, I bought Goat Simulator during the Steam Summer Sale today. I love this game; it's so stupid it's fun -w-

EDIT: I also picked up Garry's Mod and Half-Life: Opposing Force

Bella

Also picked up Garry's Mod, this is either gonna be the best or worse $2.50 I've ever spent.

stewartsage

Fuck, if everyone else is getting G-MOD so should I so we can all play The Hidden and TTT together~

Whenever it's on sale next I'll pick it up.  I have half the price thanks to selling stuff on the community market.

Bella

DO IT. :D

Remember when i said this was gonna be the best $2.50 I've ever spent or the worse $2.50 i've ever spent?

Definitely the former.