Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

dude, if i get it we should both join :0

friend and his friend are playing as reno and rude respectively
i told him if i joined i'd join as elena
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Indeed ^^

So, I decided to try out Persona 4 Arena; in arcade mode for the time being, since the story mode takes place after the original PS2 game, which I've only just recently started. So far, it's a damn good fighting game; makes me want to try and rope someone into playing multiplayer with me -w-

Chocofreak13

*whistles zelda theme*
click to make it bigger

Bella

As I told Stew, I find this really sweet for some reason. ^^

Chocofreak13

*ba-dum tisch*

so i have now started playing MapleStory, partially out of spite for the game since it took 2 days to get it working properly, and because my sister joined after me and is now a higher level. i want to prove the game WROOOOONG.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Come with me; with my umbrella of justice, I will help you get stronger
(I'd use my bow, but that'd be unfair; as I'd obliterate everything)

Chocofreak13

-w-

i'm enjoying the new claw i got, but this briefcase i found has about double the attack. i like it, but not for this character, so i'm debating on whether or not i should equip it. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I'd keep it for the lulz. If you want, save it for a future character; especially if you make an archer of some type (Always good to have a melee weapon on you just in case you run out of arrows)

Chocofreak13

very true. plus, i found a ninja sword i should have been using this whole time, and it does more damage than the glove. -w-
click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, for some reason I started thinking about one of my truly badass moments from when I was more active on Phantasy Star Online.

I had a full party going through the Towards the Future quest (Pretty much a fancy way of saying "boss rush mode"). I had a decent group together, as we did quite well...although we hit a rough patch during the fight with Dark Falz (The final boss); when one of our party members was knocked out. In a rush, I dropped what I was doing and ran over to use a Moon Atomizer on them (The Phantasy Star equivalent to a Phoenix Down)...and once I pressed the button for it, the rest of the group got in the finishing blow, as the cut scene showing Dark Falz being defeated played; which made me feel I was too late...

...however, after the scene was over, I discovered I did make it in time; as that person had been revived just in time, as they got experience from the fight, causing them to level up. That honestly felt so good, and the rest of the group was amazed by that save I pulled.

stewartsage

Played The Republia Times.  That was pretty fun.

Chocofreak13

@pent: noice. -w-
@stew: what's it about?

my Astros finally cleared on La Tale, so i'ma go purchase some pets for my characters. -w-
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

About running editing the paper of a troubled post-Soviet state.

Chocofreak13

that sounds so you. and bells. and i think i'd give it a try too. :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Interesting :3

So, I tried out the 4 different portable versions of MapleStory, and decided to share my thoughts below. As a note, these 4 aren't the only ones out there; there is a recently-released one on 3DS, but I can't find much info beyond that.

- MapleStory: Thief Edition (iPhone. 2009)
This was the first one ever released, that was available as a free download in the App Store, but apparently it was pulled; as I can't find it listed anymore. However, since I still have it downloaded, I can still play it. While this game did come out prior to the main game's Big Bang expansion, I'm a little let down that it doesn't really capture the magic of the classic era; mostly in the towns barely resembling towns (It's more like a hill that a few people are hanging out at), plus Victoria Island being restricted to just Henesys, Perion, and Kerning, with some fields of enemies in-between. However, this does feel slightly off from MapleStory as far as physics go, but the game's environments work just right that it doesn't bother me too much. It's a little basic compared to the MMO its based on, but it's still an enjoyable action RPG; I'd suggest checking it out if you can, as IDK how one would go about downloading it when its no longer available.

- MapleStory DS (Nintendo DS. 2010)
When I first heard about this, when it went into development, I was expecting it to be an MMO for handhelds...but it ended up being an action RPG only available in South Korea and Japan, so if you don't know Japanese or Korean, you're screwed...although there is an unfinished English fan translation floating around out there, which is basic enough that you can at the very least play it, as the menus are nicely translated, but you'll barely understand what's going on with the story, due to the dialog having a hilariously bad translation that might just rival Pokémon Vietnamese Crystal.

Gameplay wise, while they did capture some of the feel of the classic era with the town layouts (Well, somewhat condensed, but close enough, the areas between towns are completely new; which makes this feel like its own adventure. Also, the physics feel way off, as my character moves too quickly; it's still very much playable, but it feels more like I'm playing something along the lines of Castlevania or Metroid instead of MapleStory. All in all, an enjoyable game, but the lack of a proper English translation can lead to you just wondering around to find the plot so you can continue.

- MapleStory: Cygnus Knights Edition (iPhone. 2011)
Once again, another free iPhone adaptation, which is bigger than Thief Edition and with much more advanced graphics...but not necessarily better IMO. While it does feel a lot more like a shrunk-down singleplayer version of the MMO, the physics are honestly terrible, platform jumping is a pain in the ass here, and you press down to go through portals which is the polar opposite of anything else with "MapleStory" in its name. Also, it doesn't seem to be available anymore, so it's easy to ignore this one.

- MapleStory Live (iPhone \ Android. 2012)
Well, this one gets off to a start with needing to patch. Hurray! I'll get back to this one later, once it finished patching, but it's apparently the best MapleStory experience on a phone; so good that Nexon pulled all the old MapleStory games from the App Store shortly after this one came out (A blessing in disguise for the Cygnus Knights Edition, but a shame for the Thief Edition; which isn't the best thing ever, but I have a soft spot for it).

More info on how it plays once I actually get to play it. Stay tuned...