Games General

Started by NejinOniwa, September 27, 2011, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Fair enough.

Speaking of Fallout 4, I need to get Far Harbor. It looks awesome and I don't wanna get spoiled more than I already have been. (Which is slightly.)

I'm still so pissed that Bethesda didn't make Nick a romanceable companion though. JUST LET ME HAVE MY ROBOT HUSBAND, BASTARDS. ;___;

Chocofreak13

yeah, Nick is best Husbando (though i still love Preston, I really do). Far Harbour is the shit, I can tell you that much. Also it has Gracie! ^^
click to make it bigger

Bella

I haven't spent much time with companions besides Nick, Danse, Piper and Curie, to be honest. I'm totally in love with Danse and Piper, but then it just kind of hit me that Nick would be an awesome husband. Next playthrough I'm going to install the Nick romance mod. >_>

Nichi

I honestly should see if 2k can run Fallout 3 on her current, rather gimped setup ^^;
(If not, there's always Fallout 2 which Pit would approve of me playing :3)

Lately, I've flip-flopped a lot between many games. Currently, one I've played is Sonic Advance, on GBA; honestly a pretty legit Sonic game, that feels a bit closer to the Genesis\MegaDrive Trilogy & Knuckles than the old Game Gear titles in the series. However, I will admit the special stages are kinda annoying; not as bad, since I figured out some tricks that have taken a slight edge off, but the perspective is still kinda awkward, making it hard to judge where my character is in relation to the rings and bombs.

Chocofreak13

I have no reason to play Pokemon Shuffle anymore.

In other news, Steve is bored of Fallout and has bought 2 new games: Magicmaker and Stonehearth.

I've only seen him play a few hours of Magicmaker, but it looks quite cool/interesting if a smidge frustrating. The graphics make me laugh, they look somewhere between the Canadians in South Park and the characters in Zero Punctuation. Was likely made with flash, lol.

Stonehearth looks FABULOUS (I plan on buying it next week; I would now but it's $25) despite still being in Alpha. Seems to be a bit of a Starbound situtation since it was released a year ago, but it looks like a fairly large game, so it's understandable. Your basic task (which is all done in a Minecraft-esque style; if Minecraft is 8-bit, this would be 16) is to build a little town and guard it against attacks by having your settlers farm, craft, and fight (if that's their job). One profession is a trapper, which eventually can even tame animals, so Steve's town currently has a pet Squirrel and Fox. It looks cute, and I'm a sucker for building games, so it's got my attention. :0
click to make it bigger

Remilia

I haven't been able to quit Pokemon Shuffle yet. Endless Meowth stage because some stages are impossible to clear itemless (let alone to S-rank).

In Pokemon X/OR I've mostly been soft resetting the games hundreds of times, because I want my legendaries to have the right nature and good IVs. Even if I don't really intend to have those pokemon on my team (I avoid OU pokemon in general).

In Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX I've been trying to get a perfect score in every song on normal difficulty. I still have a lot of work to do.

Bella

TF2 is consuming my soul again.

Nichi

I have my Gamecube setup once more, and resumed my old save file on Super Mario Sunshine. Can I just say, my favorite part of the game by far is are the ones in which FLUDD (Your water backpack) is removed? Those parts provide some of the best challenges in the game; some of the later ones feel puzzle-like in the sort of jumps you'll have to pull off, and are very satisfying to complete.

Granted, the parts with FLUDD have grown on me over time; 10 years ago, I absolutely despised it, since I wanted something that felt closer to Super Mario 64, but in the years since, I've come to appreciate it for how different it is from other Mario games...and how it forms a sort of yin-yang with Splatoon, making me kinda wish Nintendo would make a crossover game (Like, have a team of Inklings vs. an army of Toads armed with replicas of FLUDD)

LeaflameSD

Nichi

So, since I can't go to bed just yet, since I forgot to put my bedsheets in the dryer, I stayed up and finished Super Mario Sunshine. Honestly, that final battle was just as bizarre as I've always heard; where Bowser is lounging around in a hot tub, and you have to destroy a series of platforms around it. It wasn't as tense as any of the previous Bowser fights, but given the fact he's just lounging in a hot tub the entire time, it's hard to take seriously xD

Just 10 years ago, I despised this game due to overhype and a few quirks that made jumping to it directly from Super Mario 64 rather difficult, but now, I see it as a underrated installment in the Mario series, for how unique it was. I only obtained 68 of the 120 Shine Sprites, so maybe I'll revisit the game later down the road and go for 100% completion.

Goujer (she/her)

Since I have an internship now at a large corporate software company I am making some bigger bucks, most of it is going to college but I've saved enough on the side to buy myself a PS Vita. I have to say the vita itself is pretty fun, fluid and intuitive to use; it is true that there are next to games for it but I found one game called Gravity Rush that is super fun and the way it uses both the touch screen, gyroscope and traditional game pad simultaneously is actually really fluid and fun.

One of the main reasons I bought it though was to load all my PSP stuff onto it, which i found out is disappointingly hard. You can tell Sony put in A LOT to make sure that the vita doesn't suffer the same piracy problems as the PSP. Memory Sticks were a pain in the ass with the PSP but at least it was a format that was used beyond the console by both Cameras and computers. This however made it easy to put on unlicensed material that could be read as code and could "jailbreak" the device. Sony did away with this on the Vita and is using these small overpriced SD card sized memory cards that are for the most part required to play any game. The Vita also does not act like a removable storage device when plugged into a computer and requires you to use their special software to do anything with the card. From what I can gather there is a way to access the data on it but none of the Vita hackers are revealing how as they don't want the hole to be patched. The cards are also so small that it makes it extremely difficult to tamper with them without breaking the whole card.

There is more known about the game cards though. Like the PSP UMDs each card comes with the install files for the minimum software version needed to run the game and it appears that they are some sort of modified memory stick. The games can be dumped from the cards but right now they have not found a way to put the games on a device and not have it require the card again after the next reboot.

Another interesting fact is that most of the current hacks for the Vita are just hacks to its PSP emulator, and that just adds all the old hacks that the PSP had for it; which is all I really want anyway but like a complete idiot I updated my Vita's software and now I can't hack diddly squat. Well that was my PS Vita rant, that hardware is actually pretty good, but there is little to no good games for it unfortunately.

Oh yeah this also led to me finding PS Vita-tan images to use as wallpapers: https://www.google.com/search?q=ps+vita+tan&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjg0siFuoPOAhWn24MKHbHRAV8Q_AUIBigB

Nichi

Nice. I had a Vita, but eventually sold it off because I played with it maybe twice in the 6 months I owned it; a nice system, but with the sole exception of Persona 4 Golden, everything I was interested in for it was ported to PC and/or PS3 (And even with Golden, I could just play the original Persona 4, assuming I can get past the voice cast and my burn-out on the series caused by how tedious and boring the final 20% of Persona 3 was)

I recently picked up Sonic Adventure DX, on Steam. Honestly, the vanilla version is not that great; the controls feel rather clunky in contrast to the original Dreamcast version and the game will only run in a pillarboxed form, although those are thankfully corrected by the fan-made patch, BetterSADX. Said patch allows for true widescreen support (Although the action is way too zoomed out for it to feel playable; haven't figured out how to have widescreen and the camera be at the normal position), improved controller support (The sensitivity is on-par with the Dreamcast version), restores the unlockable Game Gear games from the Gamecube edition, and opens the doors for fan-made mods (Changing character models, textures, music, etc.)

Honestly, it's great with the patch; there are still some quirks with the in-game physics, but the game looks pretty good and, while the cut-scenes run at the original 30FPS of the Dreamcast version, the rest of the game runs at a rock-solid 60FPS (This is especially noticeable in the 3rd segment of Sky Deck, as Sonic; the framerate is noticeably lower in this segment on the Dreamcast than anywhere else in the game, while on PC it still maintains full speed)

LeaflameSD

Goujer (she/her)

My roommate bought a Vita TV for the sole purpose of playing Persona 4 Golden after playing through Persona 4 on the PS3. I've seen the game the whole way through maybe 3 times. But I'm still playing it anyway. I always thought the voice acting was pretty good in the original but my main problem is Chie's voice in Golden it sounds too wine and childish which kind of made me like her less as a character but oh well.

SADX is great, one of my favorite childhood games. I wasn't aware of the Game gear stuff though, I should look that up.

Nichi

TBH, I actually preferred Chie's voice in Golden, since my introduction to her was through P4 Arena; which had the same actress as Golden. The original PS2 version was kinda strange for me ^^;

I need to get back to playing SADX, assuming my desktop can still handle it (I had my graphics card burn out last night, so I had to fall back onto the on-board video)