Games General

Started by NejinOniwa, September 27, 2011, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptBrenden

Ah the fast movers arent that bad. I love how many people suck at aircraft tho = u = Means i look that much more awesome by compairison.. besides if you can handle helicopters, the VTOL arent that much more difficult.   Personally, I love the A10.. great for air to ground support, least as long as I have a team that marks targets. It is impossible to know where infantry is in the aircraft when you're at full speed

"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

stewartsage

I play BFV almost exclusively, so we have AC-47s, A-1s, F-4s, A-7s, and that's about it.

When I was still in a clan, I operated almost exclusively as a FAC/FO for that very reason.  Almost no one does it and it certainly improves allocation and accuracy of your firepower.

<See avatar

Dr. Kraus

Love flying Jets in Battlefield 3 and Ace Combat, running strafing runs and flying low over enemy forces is the way I like to fight my wars.

Ace Combat 6, Ace Combat Assault Horizon (One of the greatest soundtracks ever), and Battlefield 3 are my favorites for Jet warfare.

stewartsage

I think Battlefield Vietnam has the best soundtrack of all time, even the built in one without customizing your own.

CaptBrenden

Have you been playing BFBC2 Vietnam? Or the original?

I love ace combat for the most part and was really looking forward to assault horizon, but every jet fanatic I know that I play with says DONT GET IT. Supposedly its got alot of problems, like quicktime syndrome, enemies that are invincible untill they finish talking, unrealistic flight physics.   

Know what was a pretty good arcade flight game?  Apatche Air Assault. Licenced by boeing, its an extreamly realistic representation of the AH64.  I especially like that it has a Co Op mode, where your co op partner is your co pilot instead of another helicopter. its also got cocpit view for both the pilot and co pilot seat. I really liked it, only part that bothers me is they have some parts where, per videogame syndrome, you go up against odds no apatche would every have a chance against
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

stewartsage

The original Battlefield Vietnam, with a couple mods, yeah.

Dr. Kraus

Working on a Zombie Apocalypse VN with a small team formed on /a/ called "Memento Vivere" which translates to "Remember to Live" from Italian.

So far we have a Blog,
http://mementoviverevn.blogspot.com/

A forum,
http://memento-vivere-game.proboards.com/index.cgi?

and an IRC Channel,
irc.rizon.net #memviv

Here is a character concept from a drawfag:

I maintain the Google Document files that all ideas are saved and I'll be helping a little with the Programming since I'm a DevFag as well as a Googledocfag...

NejinOniwa

So, I tried out the Crusader Kings II demo today.
http://www.fileplanet.com/224596/download/Crusader-Kings-II-Demo
I am almost tempted to pre-order this shit. And from me, that's pretty damn-ass heavy praise. I can't fucking wait... <3
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

So, I'm finally dusting off my PSP and have returned to playing Disgaea 2. No real progress yet, but I do have a majority of my original characters named after OSCers now :3

Nichi

So, I finally played both Final Fantasy spin-off games released on the original PlayStation (Well, the 2 released in the US, at least); Chocobo Racing and Chocobo's Dungeon 2. Here are my thoughts on both:

First off, Chocobo Racing has almost nothing to do with the similarly-named minigame in FF7; it is, in fact, a Mario Kart clone featuring Final Fantasy characters. What could possibly go wrong with this? Well, one crucial flaw; it's very rough around the edges, like this was rushed to market to cash in on the popularity of games like Mario Kart.  The tracks are bland, the controls are terrible, and they somehow managed to make a racing game that has a terrible camera; a feat I thought impossible. In all honesty, for the price this game usually sells for due to it's short print run, you're better off buying Crash Team Racing.

As for Chocobo's Dungeon 2, it's actually not too bad. If you've played a dungeon crawler before, like Nethack or Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, you shouldn't have a problem getting into this. Like Chocobo Racing, it is a bit expensive, but if you find it for less than $15, I personally think it's worth picking up

Nichi

...I may have hijacked this thread accidentally ^_^;;;

Anyway, I recently obtained the PC version of Final Fantasy VII, and managed to somehow install it on 2k. Now, to share my thoughts on it, from beginning to the first save point, in contrast with the PlayStation version.

First off, one glaring flaw: no music during the opening cut scene. That really kills the scene; as I sit there, having played the PlayStation version to death, picturing the music in my head. The other cut-scenes I saw during this time did have their music, which makes it weird for the opening to lack music altogether. The cut-scene quality is very low in this version; the PlayStation had sharper picture quality in this department. Also, transitions between cut-scenes and in-game graphics is also slower and much more noticable than in the PlayStation version. So, in terms of cut-scenes, PlayStation wins out

In-game, the PC version had cleaner looking polygons and nicer textures than the PlayStation version. Granted, this may be because the PC I'm running this on puts the PlayStation 3 to shame, but still. Battle transistions are a bit funky-looking, but it's only a minor gripe.

Music is one category about this port that most people say the PlayStation version is superior. Maybe if I where playing this on a roughly mid-range PC from when this was released, that would be true, but with the on-board sound in the PC I'm using to play this, it's a very faithful recreation of the PlayStation soundtrack; it has a few little quirks that make it feel different, but Edios did a *far* better job than Sega did with the original 1997 PC version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Which has a sountrack that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike the original Sega Genesis version)

The keyboard controls are a little funky. Playing on a laptop is nearly impossible, unless it has a keypad or you use an external keyboard...or, just pick up a controller somewhere. If you're using a version of Windows new enough to support it, you *can* use the Xbox 360 controller, but my advice is to go pick up something with a more PlayStation feel to it. This is a PlayStation game, after all, so you may as well play it with a more fitting controller.

One thing to note is that the translation does address some of the grammar errors with the PlayStation version, from what I can tell, but at the cost of...really screwy censorship. In their eyes, "hell" and "damn" where objectionable, but "shit" was perfectly fine; making you wonder what they where thinking when they where working on the script.

I've heard that there are some problems later into the game; such as the motorcycle chase being unplayably fast, as well as the game crashing on the Chocobo Racing mini-game unless you're playing this on Windows 98, but thanks to a group of dedicated fans, there are unofficial patches floating around on the internet to address these problems, along with some mods to further enhance the game (Such as one that allows you to replace the MIDI music with MP3s of the PlayStation version's soundtrack).

All in all, this is actually a decent port of the game. I still lean more toward the original PlayStation version, but the PC one is still good :3

Chocofreak13

sounds cool, dude. i especially like that there's a patch to replace the midis with the PS's soundtrack. maybe your sound card kicks ass, but for those of us without the (marty mc)fly graphics and such they suck. ass. so having the option to replace it with the superior sound is great.

as for the smoother polygons, that may have to do with PCs being used to probably code the game anyway, so methinks the original format would be smoother.

that said, keep going and report again, please. :3
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

As someone who's played both, and owns the original soundtrack, I can say that the MIDI version of the soundtrack is damn terrible.  The only reason I can think of that would have made them not use the original CD-quality audio was that they wanted to limit the number of discs it was on.  The soundtrack alone is four.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

The trick with MIDI seems to lie in what sound card you're using. I've played the original PC version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles on a wide variety of PCs, and the MIDI soundtrack always sounds different on each one; some sounding better than others.

So, maybe with the right sound card, the PC version of FF7 will be like it is on 2k

Red-Machine

You'll be using Microsoft's generic MIDI mapper, which is the worst of the bunch.  For the best sound, it's gotta be a Roland LAPC-1.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!