Sony Network Entertainment International... new name, same bull****

Started by IanDanKilmaster, September 16, 2011, 10:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanDanKilmaster

I know it seems like just about every time I've made a thread in here, it's to bitch about something, but I really can't help it.

I don't know if anyone here actually plays PS3, but if you do and you use PSN, you probably noticed something when trying to sign in lately.  That is, there's a new long-ass EULA for you to take 5 min to scroll through blindly!  Before you yawn your way through this abominable wall o' text just so you can see that new page of demos you lost interest in two weeks ago, you might want to read a couple of paragraphs of it first.  Of particular note is Section 15, which states:

QuoteOther than those matters listed in the Exclusions from Arbitration clause (small claims), you and the Sony Entity that you have a Dispute with agree to seek resolution of the Dispute only through arbitration of that Dispute in accordance with the terms of this Section 15, and not litigate any Dispute in court. Arbitration means that the Dispute will be resolved by a neutral arbitrator instead of in a court by a judge or jury.

Which means you must settle any dispute with Sony out-of-court, which means no class action.  That, to me, wouldn't honestly be so bad if you could still dispute the arbitration in court.  For instance, if you were to go one-on-one with Sony and you found that the arbitrators in question were not awarding you a fair settlement, you couldn't contest it in court - you'd have to continue with yet another arbitration.  Granted, this is pretty much looking at the worst case scenario, and most likely Sony is simply trying to save themselves from another assrape like the one from last year, but it doesn't change the fact that their legal department could stand to word their documents a little more concisely.  As it stands, this agreement only serves to raise the ire of more of the ever-dwindling Sony fanbase and generate unwanted controversy for the company.  I personally wouldn't mind Anonymous giving them what-for, since it seems LulzBoat has long sailed into port never to venture out and plunder again.

It's time like these I'm glad I own a Dreamcast.  You know, for when the inevitable gaming apocalypse does come.

The Choice of a New Generation.

stewartsage

Nichi

I think I'm the only OSCer with a PS3, so this probably only effects me. Besides, I have a PS2 to fall back onto, among many other consoles

Red-Machine

I have one too, but rarely use it.  More of an Xbox 360 person.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

all my gaming systems are current.......5 years ago.

(well, no, but i imagine my N64 will survive the Vidocalypse.)
click to make it bigger

Bella

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

That's a microsupercomputer.

Figure 1.1: VAXen in their native habitat

Mmmm, I still remember playing Colossal Cave Adventure via telnet on one of these puppies for the first time... it makes me nostalgic.

Red-Machine

Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

Quote from: Red-Machine on September 17, 2011, 01:54:03 PM
Stop talking like you were there! xD

I was there. Via telnet.

Kids today... I bet most of you guys have never even used public access shell account.

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

Adventure on the Atari 2600 FTW

Although, Disgaea 4 is really nice...

Chocofreak13

i'd like to get some older gaming systems. my uncle has an atari and i'm kinda jealous. :3
click to make it bigger

svx

That's becoming a pretty standard EULA paragraph these days!

Unfortunately for Sony (and *most* other companies, since pretty much everyone copies and pastes that same paragraph), US law does not permit them to arbitrarily be excused from court cases because of something like that...  In fact, it more than likely can be used by a decent lawyer to help a judge understand just how frivolous the rest of the EULA is, if it ever came to discussing it (which it won't, because they know that!) :p

Some judges say that EULA's are a binding contract,
some say that they're meaningless drivel

But nothing can waive your right to due process, should you have a grievance or have one brought against you