NeoN-ARMADA (Demon Overlord is Building a Computer)

Started by NejinOniwa, June 07, 2011, 08:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krizonar

Quote from: AlexisDesu on June 07, 2011, 10:47:21 PM
ssd are still new technology; what is the significance?

a 250gd cost 500.00 last summer; save it for your next build.
The price is indeed going down, bit by bit. So yeah, save your SSD buying till your Bulldozer buying.

But I have to say, SSD is not that new.

Chocofreak13

@kriz: it's called used cars. :3 the one i saw a few years back (a working 46' pontiac streamliner sedan) was $3500. needed new upholstry, but that's not really an issue (it didn't really "need" it, but the back looked kinda like a sheet had been tossed over it and then stapled into place).
plus, my dad promised my sister $1000 towards a car, so with that we might be able to get her a CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED car. 8)

nej srsly needs to comment before this turns into topicless. >>;
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Quote from: NejinOniwa on June 07, 2011, 08:32:11 PMGFX: 2GB Asus Radeon EAH6950 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 (What's that you say? A simple bios mod upgrades it to a 6970? REALLY NOW.)

Be careful with that.  It was only the initial batch of cards (read reference designs, not OEM variations), and if you just plain up flashed it with a 6970 BIOS, you'd fry the card as the components couldn't handle the higher speeds.  Go to techPowerUp.com and look for the 6950 BIOS with the unlocked shaders only.  There's a guide floating around the forum somewhere.  Make sure to ask them if your card can actually do it, first.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

Modded bioses are floating around everywhere, yes. I'm not an orange. And the ratings page for the card itself on pricehunter says so, so even if it's not by every and all means a definite yes, it's pretty close.

Also lol dat SSD cluster.

I'm not going to patch in on all that much SSD, I'm pretty sure. Want to save some of my hard-earned cash, after all. Prolly getting a 120GB'er and filling the rest with hardies.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Red-Machine

Also, by the time Bulldozer (AKA AM3+) is released, AMD will be 3 generations behind again.  Bulldozer was designed to compete with pre-Sandybridge i-series CPUs, and what with Intel releasing Ivybridge soon AMD's going to be left in the dust again.

Not that I'm hating on AMD or anything, I use a Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition after all...

NejinOniwa

Important, boi - AM3+ is the slot, while Bulldozer is the architecture. Important to note.

AND
Nobody knows exactly how beefy the bulldozers are gonna be (though if the name implies anything, yeah) in comparison to current Intels. True, they won't bust the highest crust of performance chips, but they are aiming to get into the midrange again - and a midrange with 12 effective cores and a speed around 3ghz or so sounds pretty nifty for me. Add to that the fact that AM3+ will stay compatible with future generations of red team chips for a long while, in contrast to Intel who probably are just gonna drop their slot standards by new year's or so, AND the fact that you get a lot more bang per buck - I'm not fanboying, but the red team is looking pretty damn good for my current needs.

Red-Machine

Quote from: NejinOniwa on June 08, 2011, 09:43:07 AM
Important, boi - AM3+ is the slot, while Bulldozer is the architecture. Important to note.

I know that.  I just said that in case you weren't aware.

With regards to the forward-compatibility of that slot: everybody expected AM3 to be forwards-compatible.  If I want Bulldozer, I'm gonna have to buy a new board because AM3+ is incompatible with it.  So don't expect AM3+ to be forward-compatible, either.

NejinOniwa

AM3+ will most definitely stay compatible longer than the current Intel slots will, if only for the fact that it's brand new. Main point however - It's Cheaper.

Chocofreak13

though i don't feel relevant in this conversation,
if you'd like to save money, it might be cheaper to ship some of the stuff to the us, so you could buy it while you're here. .__.;
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

I have been thinking of it - we'll see, but it might be a pain to haul it through customs on the way home, so I dunno.

Chocofreak13

customs only really gives you shit if it's edible. that's why one christmas my grandma mailed us smoked meat and we never got it. :\

if they want to give you shit about taxes and whatnot, i'd be willing to forge a birthday card and call it a "present" >_>;
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

IC. Oh well. I've been thinking of it for a while, but I dunno how much space it'll take up - besides, parts can be pretty fragile, and airport luggage handlers aren't exactly known to be gentle all the time...oh well.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Some guy from the netherlands did the same thing when heading home from Florida, they took his suitcase and ripped everything out not looking at what it really was (Threw the mobo on the ground) he kept telling them it was computer hardware but they ruined it anyway, dude went home with a broken mobo, destroyed CPU, the RAM looked fine, and a hdd that was obviously broken... I recommend just ordering the parts to your home.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger