Main Menu

Favorite TV Shows

Started by Nichi, May 29, 2011, 08:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

there wasn't really any gross-out humour. it was more situational humour, relationship humour, reference humour or random humour.
for example, when a criminal is in the kitchen, the police are too scared to apprehend him, so they begin playing "eeany-meany-miney-moe" to choose who will go get the perp. ^^;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

If that's the case, I'll have to give it a shot. The previews I saw before it premiered made it out to be all about gross-out humor, which is what turned me off

Chocofreak13

eh, it might have a little, but i can't imagine it has a super amount. has some (sorry, it's been awhile since i watched it), but that's not what it's all about.
though, if overeating grosses you out, don't watch it. chowder will eat ANYTHING. ^^;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

It's not that I'm grossed out easily (My mom is, though), it's that I never really liked gross-out humor; I fail to see what makes things like people puking funny.

Anyway, anther show I like (Getting into anime now) is .hack//Legend of the Twilight. It served as my introduction to the series, which lead me to finally trying the games after years of curiosity and getting hooked even if I haven't beaten the 4th one yet. Even after watching .hack//Sign a few years later (Which was really good, although not exactly one of my favorites), I still don't see where the hate for LOTT came from; it's honestly not too bad of a series.

Chocofreak13

omg, .hack//legend. *w* i barely saw it when it was on tv, but what i did see i loved. ("Emerald Green" is one of my favourite anime theme songs; i almost performed it for a lipsyncing competition, only non-english songs weren't allowed. ><; ). i have a special box-set dvd i got at my local newbury comics (i feel bad for everyone who's not here, since they don't have one :3) that came with the OST for the series. ^^
if you want any of the songs, let me know; it also came with a special acoustic extended version of "New World", that's actually better than the original version in my opinion. :3

EDIT: also, i imagine that the hate for legend was that it was much more cutesy than the original series, which may have pissed off some people since it went from more of a type "A" anime to a type "B" anime (i believe you posted in the "MELISSA SAYS" thread in the anime section). it was kinda a big transition.
also, the manga has a different plot than the anime for legend, so i recommend seeing both. ^^
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I read the first volume of the manga, and it seemed pretty good; I almost bought the omnibus edition shortly after, but it sold out by the time I had the money for it.

Speaking of, I still need to track down volume 2 of the anime; I bought volume 1 at a local pawn shop a few years ago, while volume 3 was a lucky find when I went with my parents to Big Lots (For the record, that was the only worthwhile thing I've ever found there)

Chocofreak13

like how i found discount manga at building 19? (so many volumes! 3 bucks each! *0*)
if all else fails, torrent the missing episodes? :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I know I can get it on Amazon for mere pennies, but it's a matter of getting off my lazy butt and ordering it.

Anyway, another show I like that doesn't need any introduction to anyone here, but I feel like talking about my first experience watching it, is Doctor Who.

The very first time I tried to watch it was during the season 1 episode, Dalek; I came in half-way through the episode, and because I didn't know anything about the series prior to some crappy promos on BBC America (Which literally amounted to "Doctor Who: coming soon..." while showing little to no clips from the show), I was left wondering "What the hell is going on?". However, I gave the series a 2nd chance in late summer '08; after reading up on it out of curiosity and then coming in at the start of the season 3 episode, Human Nature. From that point on, I was hooked on the show; going back and watching some of the original series while following the new one, and before I knew it, I had seen every single episode from '89 to present, as well as all the Dalek episodes from Genesis on up to the most recent one.

Since this will likely come up since I brought up Doctor Who, my favorite incarnation of the Doctor would have to be the 7th. He was definitely interesting; he seems goofy on the outside, but inside he was a cunning mastermind who saw the struggle between good and evil as being like a game of chess.

Chocofreak13

the only Dr. Who i've seen is the "current" series, sadly, meaning that i've only seen the 9th-11th doctors. my sister had talked about it in a positive manner, but without the means to watch it it didn't enter my mind much. then we got upgraded cable, and BBC America; one day, when nothing was on, i was surfing the onscreen guide when i happened to see that the second half of the "Are you my Mummy?" episodes was on; out of curiosity i changed the channel, and i was instantly hooked. *w*

no series has been able to keep me as captive as SVU does until i watched Dr. Who. :3

also, tonight's episode was a little weird....the ending, at least. not sure if i really like this whole pregnancy arc.... :\
and that midwife seems a tad creepy. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

If you ever get a chance, try watching some of the original series episodes. The 4th Doctor era ('74 to '81) is widely considered one of the best in the series, although I'm partial to the 7th Doctor episodes where he travels with Ace ('88 to '89).

I try to forget that the episodes from '87, with the Doctor traveling with Melanie Bush, ever happened...

Chocofreak13

was she the whiny one?

(i'm going off of this, mind you.)
click to make it bigger

Nichi

No; she's the one that's overly cheerful, between the whiny one (Peri, who wasn't memorable) and the one who's wearing a leather jacket (Ace, who is awesome).

Mel was completely useless; providing nothing of value to the show, and one of the episodes with her in it nearly got the show cancelled because of extremely low ratings. Not even Adric, the oft-hated Wesley Crusher-like character of the series, managed to do that.

Chocofreak13

:\

i've heard people describe donna and martha that way. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

The difference between them and Mel is that Donna was funny, Martha was actually kind of cool (She was my favorite companion until I went back to the older episodes and discovered Ace), and Mel could easily be dropped from every episode she's in with minimal impact on the story (Except for when she gets captured to provide filler).

Chocofreak13

ugh. the damsel in distress. yeah, i can understand why she deserves the title now. :\
click to make it bigger