Main Menu

Favorite TV Shows

Started by Nichi, May 29, 2011, 08:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

Since discussion of TV shows came up in the classic board games topic, I figured I'd dust off this old topic :3

The Big Bang Theory is a show that I occasionally watch. It's not bad, but I don't really go out of my way for it; not like I do for Doctor Who or Warehouse 13

Chocofreak13

same here. i'm not into it the way my sister or mother are, but if one of them is watching it i'll join in.

as we speak i'm watching svu, but i'm looking at the computer as i type, meaning that while i still love the show, i no longer adore it, as it's hard to be surprised or captivated the way i was used to. the passions have cooled, and now i am left with a more cozy, familiar love for the show, watching it religiously but mostly as "slightly-more-than-background-noise" background noise.

semi-on-topic: i just saw an anime i really liked bashed in this magazine ;^;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I know that feel. I often see shows I like get trashed in reviews (Warehouse 13 is often a target; especially in its earlier seasons, although more recent seasons seem to have won over some of the naysayers)

As for watching a show a lot, that's how I feel about the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. I watched it every morning when Toon Disney still aired it, and have seen all but the Christmas special (Which was an unofficial part of the series; I'm not sure if it's included on the DVD sets, or if I have to track down the single-episode disc of it). Unfortunately, in early 2003, they dropped it from their schedule in favor of Disney's Doug, along with some other shows I liked. I at least own the first volume of the series on DVD; I just need to track down the other two volumes.

Recently, I've discovered a new guilty pleasure of a series; a lesser-known Power Rangers knock-off from the mid '90s, called Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad (Yes, that's "syber" with an S instead of a C, because poor literacy is kewl! [/at4w]). The basic conflict of the show is setup in probably the silliest manner possible; our protagonist gets the phone number of a girl he's interested in, another guy is pissed off about this, and somehow by a stroke of luck ends up in contact with an all-powerful computer program who can turn his artwork into monsters to wreck havoc on cyberspace. The guy who got the phone number ends up, by the power of plot convenience, an electric guitar, and a CompaqTM DeskProTM computer, becomes Gridman Servo; a character he created for a video game he was playing, which gives him the ability to fight the evil stock footage monsters and protect cyberspace.

It's cheesy, but I find myself enjoying it because of how cheesy it is :3

Chocofreak13

men in rubber costumes a la the original godzilla. guilty pleasures abound. -w-

now if only they'd release Kamen Rider with subs. of course, the only reason i want to see it is OS-tan. xD

in recent months i've gotten very into storage wars. it had come to a point where i had seen most Pawn Stars episodes on tv, and Storage Wars was something fresh. staged or not, it's entertaining, though the melodrama can get a bit old at times. ^^;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

If you hunt around, you might be able to find fansubs of the various Kamen Rider series; since the show does have a small fanbase over here

Chocofreak13

maybe, but tbh i'm not sure if i'd make it a priority.

stew mentioned this in the "what's playing?" thread, but i'll repost the jist of it here: how annoying is it that most shows these days are just "the ____"? i think it started with the apprentice, but lately all the new stuff coming out that isn't a sitcom (though even some of the sitcoms follow the formula, too) is so uninspired in the name department. i realize they're trying to be "edgy" and "cool" and "hip" and "now" but really what they're doing is making themselves look like lazy, poorly educated assholes. :\
click to make it bigger

alfonso_rd_30

bones, svu, bbt, 2 1/2 ho's, fx animated slot

Nichi

Indeed. Everything having a title like that automatically makes me think of Tommy Wiseau's The Room. Not a very good connection to make; considering that movie is so god-awful it's unintentionally funny.

Also, there's this talk show on some of the local channels called The Doctors. You have no idea how pissed off I was that it had nothing to do with Doctor Who, but instead revolved around real doctors answering medical questions.

@Alfonso: I don't quite get it. If those are example against the "The [word]" titles, I have to point out that SVU premiered in 1998

alfonso_rd_30

mmm we just  had a couple months ago the mexican versions of the Doctors...

as for my entries, are the current shows I like

Nichi

Ah. Cool ^^

At the moment, of currently running shows, Doctor Who and Warehouse 13 are the ones I go out of my way for, while most everything else I watch is on a "when it's on and I'm not busy" basis (Since I barely have access to the TV, most of what I watch is internet series like Nostalgia Critic, The Cinema Snob, Atop the Fourth Wall, etc.)

Chocofreak13

my tastes has shifted over time and as more or less channels were available. i used to watch a lot more animal cops, for example. (after awhile i got sick of the reruns and sads. :[ )
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I remember I used to watch The Planet's Funniest Animals a lot when nothing else was on, until I got sick of the reruns (Also, I Can Has Cheezburger replaced it as my source for funny things involving animals)

Now, one show I very much was sick of but mom kept watching religiously was Murder, She Wrote. That show was so lame, and it was so strictly formula that every episode had the exact same pacing that it was boring, but it felt like either mom was oblivious to it or was just watching it to piss me off as it meant I couldn't play Diddy Kong Racing :\

Granted, she seemed to be drawn to the bottom-tier mystery shows and ignores the better ones; like how she'd honestly watch Matlock over SVU >>;

Chocofreak13

she sounds like an old lady. what's next, dr. quinn, medicine woman? >>;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Thank god no; she's never watched that

stewartsage

Don't you rag on Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman!  Or Murder, She Wrote!  God my after school TV watching was boring.

TV is a difficult thing for me, because of my room's layout in general and the fact that I have a difficult time remembering TV schedules so I typically miss whatever it is I was going to watch.