Main Menu

Favorite Book?

Started by CanaryTan, May 08, 2011, 09:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

@stew: don't we all. :\
and yeah, i found her work to be from an intellectual, but sound quite dumb. :\

should we mention favourite poets while we're here?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@stew: That's why, regardless of how good I heard it is, I'm avoiding The Dark Knight Returns; there's a strong chance it's just as overhyped as Watchmen. Personally, I prefer stuff along the lines of Deadpool; something that doesn't take itself too seriously

Chocofreak13

this is why most of the stuff i read is manga or newspapers. :\
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Mmm, the Blue Beetle, Birds of Prey, and almost any war comic for me.

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on May 11, 2011, 07:29:52 PM
Ayn Rand is ridiculously pointless if you don't subscribe to her theories.

Never read any of her novels, but I am familiar with objectivism... and never want to read any of her works simply because of it. >__>

Chocofreak13

@bella: then you can understand my plight at having to read one of her novels (the SHORT one) TWICE. >__<;
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

btw, i should say that a couple favourite childhood picture books i can name off the top of my head are:

Goodnight Owl by Pat Hutchinson
Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton
Ronia, the Robber's Daughter (Ronja Rövardotter) by Astrid Lindgren
Erik Has a Squirrel  by Hans Peterson
Love You Forever by Robert Munsch (always made me cry though)

i also took out a lot of books about tornadoes when i was quite young. :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

My favorite book when I was little, by long and far, was Go Dog Go (I don't remember who wrote it, but it's marketed alongside the works of Dr. Seuss). It had the two things I loved back then; dogs and cars, which automatically made it the best book ever.

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

Ronja was awesome. ^^ i always loved it when my Grandma sent me books. ^^ which also makes me wonder, why did they put Ronja in that outfit for the movie? the cover illustration has her in more of a raggy outfit (it's not like it's super-revealing, or anything). :\

oh, and one i forgot to mention was The Pokey Little Puppy, from the little golden books series. ^^

@pentium: that sounds interesting. and if it was in the same vein as dr. seuss, i can probably say that almost everyone would like it, since dr. seuss books are one of the universal children's books. :3
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

Maurice Sendak died today. :[

i had 4 of his books growing up (still do), all of which were childhood favourites.

please tell me i'm not gonna be the only one to miss him.....
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

What!?  No!

...I never actually had any of his books growing up, since at that age I preferred Bill Pete, but I did read a lot of his.

Chocofreak13

he will be sorely missed, considering i cried at the end of Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs. i was 7 and barely had a grasp of death, but i still cried.

and it makes it worse considering it's sort of happening to my own grandmother now.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Is is sad that I never heard of Where The Wild Things Are until the movie a few years ago? >_>;;

It's sad that he's gone, as he seemed like a great guy :3

Chocofreak13

this is not a smiling occasion ;^;

that said, the books i have by him are:

Strega Nonna
Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs
In the Night Kitchen
Chicken Soup with Rice (A Book of Months)

the last one was likely my favourite, though i loved Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs, no matter how sad it was. as for the former, i can see it from where i'm sitting in bed, and was a childhood favourite due to it being short with cute rhymes and great pictures. the pallet of colours is reminicent of the late 60's and early 70's, being very warm and slightly muted, as if done in watercolour.

if anyone wants to read it when they come here, and promise to be extra-special careful (i've had it since before i can remember), they can. ^^
click to make it bigger