Main Menu

Favorite Book?

Started by CanaryTan, May 08, 2011, 09:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanaryTan

(hello guys ;D long time no see~)

Well, do you have a favorite book?
Or, what book are you currently reading?
(sorry if there is already a forum like this)

I am currently reading: Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Summerset Sisters
I'm reading that on my nook that i got today~

How 'bout you?
I'm not kidding. I have all teh animal crossing games and play them everyday.
My profile pic is from deviant art. It's not mine.

Nichi

My favorite book would have to be The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I never got around to reading the others in the series, but I loved the first one

CanaryTan

Quote from: PentiumMMX on May 08, 2011, 10:04:12 PM
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

My friend has that book! o:
I'm not kidding. I have all teh animal crossing games and play them everyday.
My profile pic is from deviant art. It's not mine.

Chocofreak13

i don't read much outside of manga, but my 2 favourite books are A Clockwork Orange and Maggie: A Girl of the Streets (the latter is more of a novella than a novel, though). i like banned books. -w-

I also love reading anything in the Changeling: The Dreaming series of gaming books. I mention these because they account for 1. about a third of the stuff i read regularly besides newspapers and manga, and 2. alot of times it's more than just instructions for a game. :3

@pentium: a nerd classic. -w-
@canary: good on ya for making this thread. i get the feeling that this has already been done, but it's probably long dead so it's better to make a new thread. -w-
i have mixed feelings about those e-reader things.....like reading manga online :\
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

I've read all the HHGTG series.

It is also impossible for me to pick a favorite book so I'll just say that it's Midnight Sun.

NejinOniwa

Wheel of Time series.

However, since I'm a boundless narcissist and egomaniac, the EWAR-Main series will take that top spot once I get it going. >:3

Other favorites include Hitchhiker, Artemis Fowl and Trudi Canavan's different works. Marvels!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Pitkin

... Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. ;_;

Now I'm just copying all others, but in my defense I'll say my love for it is real and not because of peer pressure: it's the only book (series) I've read more than twice, and have also the Finnish radio play under the same title and the 1980s short television series under the same title as well, both of which I've gone through many times. Right now I'm waiting for the 25th day of this month for it's the International Towel Day.

Other favourites include but are not limited to Catch-22, Whipping Girl and Harry Potter series.

Chocofreak13

@nej: my sister loved the artemis fowl series. ^^
@pitkin: both me and my sister have a full set of the books, though she has the full hardcover set (the first 4 of mine are paperback).

i'd read hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy if it weren't so long. i get the feeling that i'm going to be chastised for only seeing the movie, but let me say this; it was very funny. -w-
click to make it bigger

Bella

I don't know what my favourite book is, but the HHGTTG books (minus Mostly Harmless, which sucked, a lot) and the Harry Potter series are among my favourites.

The HGGTTG and Harry Potter movies pale in comparison to their respective books, but I think the HHGTTG movie was far better than the Harry Potter movies are at capturing the essence of its novel... the Harry Potter movies are really just, like, blargh. >____>

NejinOniwa

I know, right? The HHGTTG movie took a LOT of artistic license to itself, but by HELL was it good - and most of all, fun to watch.

HP just crippled itself.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

I've read some of the Artemis Fowl books. I've been meaning to catch up on that series; The Eternity Code was the last one I read before I lost track.

Also, I've of course read all 7 Harry Potter books and enjoyed them. I even remember fondly of going to the midnight release for the final book with my sister; drinking some punch and hanging out with her nakama while waiting in line.

@Choco: I liked the Hitchhiker's Guide movie; it wasn't quite as good as the books, but it was still funny. It thankfully wasn't a trainwreck like Ella Enchanted; my sister loved the book, but hated what they did to it when they made the movie.

Chocofreak13

@everyone: as a rule, the book is always better than the movie. take, for example, my favourite book, A Clockwork Orange. it is NOTORIOUS for being this torrid, god-awful, wretched piece of dark human psyche, but only because it was based off the AMERICANIZED version of the novel, which cut out the last chapter. i think the movie should be re-done in the british format. the movie would have been alot better with its proper conclusion.
click to make it bigger

Pitkin

When it comes to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the usual movie vs. book thinking is a bit unfitting as none of the different media in the universe has been really made "from" any other: the original format was a radio play (<3), and since it was a success Douglas Adams wrote it into book(s), but not really based on the original in the same sense as for example Harry Potter movies are based on the books. At the same time a brief television series was made, which handled more or less the same content as the two first books, and 20 years later the movie came out.

As just my personal opinion: none of the media was meant to really "fit" together with the rest, so I think seeing "just" the movie is comparable to "just" having read the books, as they're more separate entities with some things in common than two descriptions of the same thing. General mishmash, it's okay to panic. :/

Personally I've loved practically everything H2G2-related stuff since I first read the books in 2004, but the movie I didn't like very much: too many Vogons to my liking. xP

Chocofreak13

heh. making me think i should re-watch it.
click to make it bigger

Paul

The World According To Garp by John Irving is a great book IMO. I can't decide if I like that one or Until I Find You more, both are really excellent and gripping.

And then there's of course Kafka On The Shore by Haruki Murakami, sort of my personal all-time favorite. When I read that book first I thought "OMG, I can totally relate to that guy". And it has one of the most stunning endings I've yet read. (Murakami's books all have something special for me, but I HATED the ending of The Wind Up Bird Chronicles because it left me with a really really f***ed up feeling)