Project Wiki OVERHAUL!!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 06, 2010, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Sorry, I misspoke. I know about HT-tan and vaguely recall Analytical Engine-tan and Difference Engine-tan (though they seem like a one-shot characters, unfortunately, since their creator is MIA), I just meant that three characters doesn't seem like enough to warrant a new category. I'd put the minimum at like, 10-12 characters.

That's just my opinion though, Aurora might have something else to say.

Aurora Borealis

That depends on how large the Early Computers section will be, and if it's large enough that the pre-1940's computers should have their own category.

For some updates I did a few days ago: Expanded on DEC Military article, and expanded on PET-tan's article.

Like how there's an "Class" article defining the different types of computers (mainframe, minicomputer,etc.), should we also have a "Historical groupings" article to distinguish between and define: Early Computers, vintage,etc.?

Also for the Class article, should supercomputers be added? But I'm usually not sure of the distinction between supercomputers from high-end mainframes.

Chocofreak13

guess this is a good time to start researching and making more pre-40's -tans. >w<

and now i'm thinking up stories involving HT-tan. oh jeez, i'm getting ideas. >w>;

i'd agree though, but i'd lower the standard depending on what we're talking about. for example, there will be less Supercomputers and less Antique Computers than Vintage Computers, but i feel they still deserve a say. :3

EDIT: so guys, i just read that The New York World coined the term "Super Computing" in 1931 to refer to a large custom-built Tabulator Computer by IBM. hah hah, HT-tan was related to the first "Super Computer". xD
and upon rereading the line, it seems they built it for Columbia.....could it be HT-tan!? o__o
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabulating_machine

EDITEDIT: oh yeah, in case it wasn't clear before, HT-tan is the first IBM computer. Her creator, Herman Hollerith, would go on to start the Tabulating Machine Company, which would go on to become IBM. fun, huh? :3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabulating_Machine_Company
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on July 08, 2012, 06:46:06 PM
Like how there's an "Class" article defining the different types of computers (mainframe, minicomputer,etc.), should we also have a "Historical groupings" article to distinguish between and define: Early Computers, vintage,etc.?

Also for the Class article, should supercomputers be added? But I'm usually not sure of the distinction between supercomputers from high-end mainframes.

If you want to make a historical grouping article, I'll try to help with it, but I'll leave that to your discretion.

I briefly considered making a Supercomputer category, but I'm not sure we have enough articles to split them from the Mainframe section just yet ... there're the Crays and some CDC-tans, that's all atm.

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on July 08, 2012, 11:54:01 PM
EDITEDIT: oh yeah, in case it wasn't clear before, HT-tan is the first IBM computer. Her creator, Herman Hollerith, would go on to start the Tabulating Machine Company, which would go on to become IBM. fun, huh? :3

Somehow I see SSEC, Havahd Mahk I and HT-tan getting in a herpderp slapping-fight over who claims the title First IBM Computer.

Then the Goddess GMOS comes along and smites all of them.

Chocofreak13

psssh, Mark I was renamed from a computer built in the 40's! IBM had been making Tabulators for decades before that. >>;
click to make it bigger

Bella

So, Word of God says that Whirlwind-tan does NOT personify both the Whirlwind and TX-0/-1/-2 computers. I assume this is going to throw the OS-tanverse into yet-unknown depths of chaos, but the truth must be known!

Aurora Borealis

If that's so, is Whirlwind still the mother of PDP-1, and her health still declined starting in the late 50's? Or will that all have to be retconned? @_@

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on July 19, 2012, 09:51:12 PM
If that's so, is Whirlwind still the mother of PDP-1, and her health still declined starting in the late 50's? Or will that all have to be retconned? @_@

Well, Stew also confirmed that Whirlwind-tan IS PDP-1-tan's mother. So I guess a hypothetical TX-0/1/2-tan would be PDP-1's older sister.

stewartsage

Something like that, yeah.

>>

I never knew it wasn't clear that Whirlwind's decline was due to her use as a testbed for the TX series.  If she actually embodied them, she'd have had, what, a good ten/fifteen more years?

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on July 19, 2012, 10:26:23 PM
Something like that, yeah.

>>

I never knew it wasn't clear that Whirlwind's decline was due to her use as a testbed for the TX series.  If she actually embodied them, she'd have had, what, a good ten/fifteen more years?

It was so unclear! Come to think of it, Nej may've originated that idea. And it just sort of ... caught on. >>

And yeah, I was always confused why Whirlwind-sama was in such bad shape if she'd been transformed into TX-tan - since the TX computers were very stable systems. >>;;

NejinOniwa

What idea did i originate now again?

Also hi, I'm backeth.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

Something about Whirlwind-tan's surgeries = the transistorization of the Whirlwind computer (aka the TX-0 project).

Maybe I mentioned it first though? I've no freakin' idea at this point. =__=;

Chocofreak13

you could always go with the theory that she gave her life force to help the TXes, thus weakening her while strengthening the TXes. i've always heard more about the PDPs, so methinks she may have been the favourite child, but the guilt of favouring one child over the other got to Whirlwind, thus she gave her support to TX-0/1/2-tan?

just a thought. .__.;
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I'm figuring out how to make templates that go at the bottom of a character's article, listing the group or family they belong to.

First one: http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/Template:Windows-tans

Will also add the Windows-kuns to a second table in the same template.

Bella

That actually sounds about right to me, but you'd have to run the idea past Stew since he's the authority on matters Whirlwindish.

I plan on there only being one TX-tan, representing both the TX-0 and TX-2 (they're essentially the same computer, TX-1 isn't listed because it was never built). Physically, I envision TX-tan as being remarkably similar to Whirlwind-tan (the TX-0/-2 was a transistorized Whirlwind), only younger and smaller. She's sort of a transitory figure between Whirlwind-tan and PDP-1 (and LINC-tan, to a lesser degree), but, owing her nature as a "clone", it's unclear whether she is PDP-1's direct ancestor, older sister, or aunt.

I imagine SAGE-tan hated and more or less ignored her (see: that part about TX-tan being a little Whirlwind-tan clone), PDP-1-tan probably treated her as a sister, LINC-tan probably didn't like her very much either.

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on July 23, 2012, 12:27:03 PM
I'm figuring out how to make templates that go at the bottom of a character's article, listing the group or family they belong to.

First one: http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/Template:Windows-tans

Will also add the Windows-kuns to a second table in the same template.

That looks amazing! : o

How difficult will it be to make templates like that for other factions/groups?